Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Hardbody Forum (D21)

Old 01-28-2021, 03:43 PM   #22611
Reserector
the Flaming Marshmallow

Vehicle: Nissan HB KC 4x4

Wow...
Reserector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 02:58 AM   #22612
PorknBeans

Vehicle: Original owner of my 3-pdl 1997 Nissan Hardbody King Cab XE 2WD 5-spd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YEPEE View Post
nice 620 and a 521... your in the vintage area huh lol
I get around(wink wink)...

My work takes me to every direction on the compass and every dark seedy corner in Los Angeles.

I get to see a lot of vintage vehicles during my work shift. One of my favorite spots to pass by is a Morgan showroom/repair shop in Santa Monica called Morgan West. Tons of Morgan vehicles in pristine condition. The drool factor is real! Another spot is a Ford Bronco car lot that sells only Ford Broncos in Venice Beach. So many way cool Broncos there! Corner lot too! So a lot to choose from. But my vintage D21 & others are predominantly found in South Los Angeles.

Gave my truck a break today from the torture that is L.A. traffic. Took the Nissan car today. Will troubleshoot the truck for items mentioned in prior posts.
Old 01-31-2021, 12:41 AM   #22613
Deerhurst
4/86 SE-V6 2 tone 4x4 HB

Vehicle: 1986.5 SE-V6 4WD D21, 2003 Audi A4 Avant 3.0 Quattro

Old truck saves the day again! Had to make a tool run for O2 sensor swap on the Audi.

The driver's side S1 sensor was easy. 15 minutes. The passenger side S1 is 5.5hrs by the book. It sucks. The book says to take the entire down pipe off. Not gonna happen. After fighting with it for 2-3 hours took lunch and the O2 sensor fairies loosened it for me. It was loose when I came back from lunch. 20-30 minutes later it was all buttoned up! Yay!!
VG33i
Deerhurst is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 02:45 AM   #22614
Midnight Tech
Technical Admin

Location: Back in SC again...in the back of a REAL parts store...
Vehicle: 1986.5 D21 Hardbody 2WD

Hector is alive (sort of)! Managed to get him fired off today but the idle is crap. Hope to get fresh fuel and a new alternator on it in a couple weeks.

Out of Round Tuits....
Midnight Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
89'HBV6 (01-31-2021), alabama_lowlife (01-31-2021), XoXSciFiGuy (02-02-2021)
Old 01-31-2021, 03:35 AM   #22615
joboy77

Vehicle: 1997 Hardbody

Installed the belltech rear anti swaybar today. Not a tough job as long as you have a reciprocating saw. Rear and does feel a bit stiffer. Need to let the suspension settle for a few days to see how it really is.
joboy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 04:56 AM   #22616
PorknBeans

Vehicle: Original owner of my 3-pdl 1997 Nissan Hardbody King Cab XE 2WD 5-spd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joboy77 View Post
Installed the belltech rear anti swaybar today. Not a tough job as long as you have a reciprocating saw. Rear and does feel a bit stiffer. Need to let the suspension settle for a few days to see how it really is.
Do you have a photo of the sway bar installed?

I would love to see it!
Old 01-31-2021, 03:06 PM   #22617
Rebelwork

Vehicle: 1995 Nissan Pickup

Hoping to change diff. Oil and rear brakes today. At 327k probably due.

Last edited by Rebelwork; 01-31-2021 at 03:14 PM.
Rebelwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 07:31 PM   #22618
joboy77

Vehicle: 1997 Hardbody

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorknBeans View Post
Do you have a photo of the sway bar installed?

I would love to see it!
Doh! I should have taken some while I was installing and it was jacked up. Let me try and get some tonight after work. If they come out too crappy I'll get some on my days off.
joboy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
PorknBeans (02-01-2021)
Old 02-01-2021, 04:55 AM   #22619
XoXSciFiGuy

Vehicle: 1997 D21 King Cab XE 2WD, 1998 Pathfinder.

The wife's 98 Pathy: Rock had shattered the passenger side headlight. Got a real nice replacement off Amazon for $93 and free shipping. Came with all the brackets, etc. And all new bolts, nuts, everything. Got that all replaced today for her. (I see now they jacked the price up to 105)

Now...I did order some LED lights for this rig...they are HERE at Amazon and two or three late 90's Pathy owners gave them great ratings and included pictures...but I haven't decided yet whether to install them. I will probably do it this weekend and then light test the Pathy at night under different situations, see if anyone flashes their lights at me and how the coverage really IS with the high low beams.

I've had people advise me NOT to install LED headlights into an older Pathy, and I do listen to that advice...but I want to see for myself. Supposedly *this* design actually does work. We will see.

Okay...enough on the Pathfinder. This is the TRUCK thread. If you are still running crappy-ass sealed beam headlights in your D21, I highly recommend you go to Amazon and GET THESE INSTEAD... that way you will have housings for plug-in bulbs. Dirt cheap, nice construction, and they WORK. I bought a spare set after the first one. They use clear silicone to seal the front glass to the housing. Lay some MORE silicone along the edge before you install the light. It's sharp there, so don't cut your fingers doing it, but you must do this or it could leak later. The reflectors are NOT painted silver. They are actual chromed steel, no kidding. I checked with a dental mirror. And the pattern on the front glass is more European than American and does the light really well. It is still DOT approved, though.

NOTE: I see the company selling those housings is (again) OUT OF STOCK on the right size. Your D21 takes the 7x6 size, NOT the 4x6. When you go to that Amazon link, it usually has a drop down choice. Now it doesn't. Just shows the 4x6. They will come back in stock soon though. It's a real popular item.

Depending on how the test goes for the wife's LED installation, aka does it frickin WORK good, then I might install THESE LED's from the same company. These are H4's and will fit any D21 truck that has been switched out of sealed beams. What I am saying is that for 23 bucks for the new housings, and another 46 for the LED lights....you might be able to upgrade your headlights on the cheap. And those housings are tough, I can tell you that.

NOTE: When you go to Amazon and look at that LED set I linked in the last paragraph, Amazon will tell you they don't fit. That's because they list D21's as having sealed beam headlights. But they DO fit, and you don't have to modify a thing. You just need the housings to put them in.

Those linked housings are only showing 4x6 right now, as I said. They will come back in stock and then the dropdown menu will offer the right size. D21 takes the 7x6. That link usually gives BOTH sizes available and you choose your size. But you can still add them to your Wish List at Amazon and then check back later to see if they are back in stock. Do NOT order the 4x6. They won't fit. Good thing I bought a spare set. They should be back in stock soon.

1997 King Cab XE, 5-sp, canopy, AC/PS, KA24E, 129,000 miles. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message. Chilton's for amateurs.

Last edited by XoXSciFiGuy; 02-01-2021 at 06:44 AM.
XoXSciFiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 05:04 PM   #22620
VOTS95

Vehicle: 95 XE V6 4x4 5 Sp
Default Possible Engine Upgrade

A while back my engine developed a slight knock in the bottom end and it's been slowly getting worse.

Now I need to decide whether to stay with the 3.0 or upgrade to the 3.3E or even the 3.3ER. Either upgrade would be nice, I'd like to have more performance but I'm not clear on everything involved. I'm waiting to hear back from the machine shop on a quote to rebuild the 3.0

I've been reading what others have done with this swap, I'm just starting to see the big picture. I want to keep it as simple as possible.

VOTS
VOTS95 is offline   Reply With Quote