Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Hardbody Forum (D21)

Old 05-15-2020, 05:45 AM   #21
XoXSciFiGuy

Vehicle: 2009 Xterra, 1997 D21 King Cab XE (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillacdude1975 View Post
All crude based oils have some amount paraffin.
Are you sure on this? The most famous criticism on paraffin comes from using Pennzoil, which was famous for leaving paraffin in your engine. *Allegedly* some of the higher quality oils like Quaker State (my fave) does not contain paraffin, and I have never seen waxy deposits in the engines I've run when using it.

2009 Xterra, 4.0 liter, automatic, 4WD. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message. Chilton's for amateurs.
XoXSciFiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 03:48 PM   #22
96noOptions

Vehicle: 1996 D21 Base

Quote:
Originally Posted by XoXSciFiGuy View Post
Are you sure on this? The most famous criticism on paraffin comes from using Pennzoil, which was famous for leaving paraffin in your engine. *Allegedly* some of the higher quality oils like Quaker State (my fave) does not contain paraffin, and I have never seen waxy deposits in the engines I've run when using it.
That's funny - I remember when I was young Quaker State had a terrible reputation for building up in engines. I also remember hearing that Pennsylvania oils (both Pennzoil & Quaker State have PA roots) were generally higher in paraffin than other oils.

These days the standards are higher than they were then and I expect nearly any oil with an SJ or higher rating is fine.

I don't know if you can completely eliminate paraffin from traditional oils. Synthetics shouldn't have any at all.

Last edited by 96noOptions; 05-25-2020 at 03:51 PM. Reason: typos
96noOptions is offline   Reply With Quote