Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Hardbody Forum (D21)

Old 03-22-2021, 09:40 AM   #11
BlackPlott

Vehicle: 95 Hardbody XE 4wd 4cyl

All Im finding in a new starter is one made by BBB Industries and another made by Wai Global. Neither of my part stores offer a new starter, only refurbished ones.
BlackPlott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 01:45 PM   #12
Cusser

Vehicle: 2004 Frontier

"Id rather go new. Anyone had luck with Auto Zone starters?"

(1) My 1998 Frontier has used a CarQuest/Advance rebuilt starter since about 2005, no issues

(2) Our 2005 Yukon had a new lifetime warranty Autozone starter in it for over 9 years, and when it went out I just took the starter to the local store and swapped it for a no-cost new one

So I like the idea of a lifetime warranty unit and from a local store for stuff like this. I don't like the idea of trying to ship back and get a warranty item mail order.
2004 Frontier King Cab (2WD, 5-speed, 4-cylinder, 105K), 1998 Frontier regular cab (2WD, 5-speed, 4-cylinder 253K), 1988 Mazda B2200 (2WD, 5-speed, 4-cylinder, 220K), 1971 VW Convertible (140K), 2005 Yukon (215K), 1970 VW (260+K)
Cusser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 02:52 AM   #13
XoXSciFiGuy

Vehicle: 1997 D21 King Cab XE 2WD, 1998 Pathfinder.

Starters for D-21's.

For the last couple of years, the rebuilt China ones have been absolute garbage, although prior to that they seemed to work. I have a close working relationship with the manager at the Advance Auto near my house. He owns a Nissan truck, a newer one. He says this:

Quote:
"I started telling customers not to waste their time on the rebuilt starters for Nissans coming out of China right now. They just throw them together half-assed and offer you a lifetime guarantee. Problem is...they don't care if you exchange them out...once they get your money for the first one. We've done so many returns and exchanges on these pieces of shit...now the China companies are buying up cores by the ton and because of all the failures and returns...these starters are making more trips back and forth across the Pacific than a goddamned US Navy carrier group. It's a vicious circle."
Buy a new one, or a remanufactured Hitachi, Denso etc, or anything NOT currently coming out of China. Or at least coming from a place in the USA. And make sure you get one with the pigtail wire already attached if you can.

Quote:
"Bill...George...ANYTHING but SUE!"
Here's an example of a good one. A Denso starter, remanufactured. This is for a rear wheel drive manual trans, four banger, 1997. The 4WD is higher. This one is 128 bucks from Advance and the one I am running now. Three years no problems. And you want REMANUFACTURED. Not 'rebuilt'. Reman starters...well, about the only thing original on them is the outside casing. Everything inside is brand new. Rebuilt...they just replace whatever wasn't working. And if it's a China company doing it, they can't even get THAT right most of the time.

1997 King Cab XE, 5-sp, canopy, AC/PS, KA24E, 129,000 miles. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message. Chilton's for amateurs.

Last edited by XoXSciFiGuy; 03-23-2021 at 03:09 AM.
XoXSciFiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
89'HBV6 (03-23-2021)
Old 03-24-2021, 10:33 AM   #14
Pinstripe

Vehicle: 1991 Nissan D21 King Cab, KA24E, 2WD, Manual Transmission

I have the Bosch SR146N, from Lordco as I'm in Canada. It comes with a lifetime warranty. I just checked quickly and it looks like Amazon and Summit Racing don't have them. I looked up the D21 on the Bosch website and that starter didn't even come up, so you might want to contact them and ask where they are sold. You could also ask Summit Racing if they are getting some in. Just Google search "Bosch SR146N" and go from there, hopefully one of the places listed will have some in stock.
Pinstripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 11:33 AM   #15
etx97xe

Vehicle: nissan pickup 97

As much as i dislike autozone.
I buy these parts from them because i had zero issues in my 95 and 97 hardbody.
I buy starters and alternators. Lifetime warranty.
Now the alternators & starters seem to last 50-75,000 miles.
Then ya gotta take them back for another.
The alt replacing is no big deal.
The starter in a standard trans is easy. Automatic is a pain.
Oh and i also buy shocks there. Lifetime warranty.
Everything else i try to buy japan. If i can
Oh and do not use Fram Oil Filters unless you like changing out timing chains
etx97xe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 02:21 AM   #16
EF2

Vehicle: 94 king cab

my starter finally shit the bed, ended up picking up a reman one at autozone this evening. i’ll be changing it out this weekend if the weather decides it wants to clear up.
EF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 02:47 AM   #17
jp2code
Software Developer

Vehicle: 94 LB 2x4 Manual VG33e
Thanked 1,522 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EF2 View Post
my starter finally shit the bed, ended up picking up a reman one at autozone this evening. ill be changing it out this weekend if the weather decides it wants to clear up.
If you have not installed the starter yet, take it back. Spend the extra $50 or so to get a new starter.
1994 VG30E to VG33E with H256 Cams

jp2code is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 12:37 PM   #18
EF2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp2code View Post
If you have not installed the starter yet, take it back. Spend the extra $50 or so to get a new starter.
this one? https://www.autozone.com/batteries-s...92n/767051_0_0
Old 04-16-2021, 02:02 PM   #19
jp2code
Software Developer

Vehicle: 94 LB 2x4 Manual VG33e
Thanked 1,522 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EF2 View Post
That doesn't show to fit my V6, but it might fit your truck if you have the KA24e 4-cylinder.

A lot of people have complained about the starter being a lot of work to replace.

When old alternators and starters are rebuilt, generally the brushes and contacts are replaced, the part is cleaned up and tested, and then it gets resold.

These Nissan starters and alternators typically last so long that they fail due to the shaft wearing and the bearings not contacting. Those parts are not replaced during a rebuild. Even if the shaft and bearings are not shot, they will still have a lot of miles on them. Rebuilt parts simply doesn't last that long.

The only thing about a Duralast part is you don't really know who makes it. Duralast is obviously an Auto Zone brand, and Auto Zone does not manufacture parts. They will simply make a deal with a company that offers a decent price for them selling a lot of parts. It's impossible to tell if you are getting a good brand or not.

If you can wait for the part to be shipped to you, find one of these new parts:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...ter+motor,4152

You can see the brand name.

I can't narrow that down for you because your profile just shows "Vehicle: 94 king cab"; it doesn't show if you have a V6 or 4-cyl or if you have a manual or automatic transmission.

EDIT: You can update your vehicle information here:

http://www.infamousnissan.com/forum/...do=editprofile

Update the line that says "Vehicle make model and year".
1994 VG30E to VG33E with H256 Cams

jp2code is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 12:37 AM   #20
EF2

my truck is the 4 cylinder 5 speed rwd. i’m just gonna use the one i bought, i don’t feel like waiting on anymore parts if i don’t really have to. seems like an easy enough job to do. appreciate the resoponse.