Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Hardbody Forum (D21)

Old 04-12-2021, 05:22 AM   #22881
PorknBeans

Vehicle: Original owner of my 3-pdl 1997 Nissan Hardbody King Cab XE 2WD 5-spd.

Installed the Rock Auto/SKP exhaust manifold on Saturday. Boy did that thing beat me up! I was sore & stiff today and NOT in a good way. But I got it done. Took about 5 hrs. with all of the wrestling that had to be done. I idled the truck in the garage with a fan blowing on the exhaust to check the operation of the truck and all appeared fine. SKP uses an oil coating to protect against rust. So the truck was smoking a lot when it was idling and the exhaust was hot. Drove it in today to work and rechecked the nuts/bolts after it cooled off and found one nut on the mounting stud not quite matching the exposed threads like the the other seven. I also can hear a leak under acceleration. So need to loosen and retighten that nut. As well as the Collector to Midpipe nuts and the bung/02 sensor. Seems like it's leaking from 3 separate areas. But no biggie.

So driving home today. I was cruising at 80mph with the light flow of Sunday evening traffic and the engine just purred. It was so quiet in the cab. Normally it's loud as heck. But not this time. A nice change.

I'll post up some photos soon. My laptop is attempting to grow its own brain and do what IT wants to do. Instead of the other way around.
Old 04-12-2021, 05:31 PM   #22882
Reserector
the Flaming Marshmallow

Vehicle: Nissan HB KC 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleEye View Post
Anyone have advice or can point me in a direction for camper window replacement?
I had to make a cardboard template of mine and take it to a local glass shop to have one made and tempered. There's always that route if its not available anywhere.
Reserector is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
EagleEye (04-18-2021)
Old 04-12-2021, 11:55 PM   #22883
kellybig

Vehicle: 1991 Nissan D21 King Cab V6 4x4 SE

Bell housing bolts removed. 1 more crossmember and the shifter and this tranny should drop with some wiggling.
kellybig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 01:23 AM   #22884
PorknBeans

Vehicle: Original owner of my 3-pdl 1997 Nissan Hardbody King Cab XE 2WD 5-spd.

Had to retorque the exhaust manifold nuts(12mm) after 50 mi. Had an exhaust leak going on that I could clearly hear. Got the truck home today and ALL 8 nuts were loose! So torqued them all down to 34 ft./lbs. Also torqued the 14mm Collector to Midpipe nuts(3 of them) to 38 ft./lbs. Drove around the block and the exhaust leak sound was mostly gone. Need to investigate further to the root cause. Might be the valve cover gasket. Saw some oil seepage coming from the valve cover corner near the #4 spark plug wire.

Truck drives MUCH better after applying the correct torque. Felt like it was losing power while driving it. All of the protective oil has burned off and the exhaust manifold is now that ugly shade of rust coloring.
Old 04-13-2021, 02:11 AM   #22885
jp2code
Software Developer

Vehicle: 94 LB 2x4 Manual VG33e
Thanked 1,526 Times in 1,340 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorknBeans View Post
Had to retorque the exhaust manifold nuts(12mm) after 50 mi. Had an exhaust leak going on that I could clearly hear. Got the truck home today and ALL 8 nuts were loose! So torqued them all down to 34 ft./lbs. Also torqued the 14mm Collector to Midpipe nuts(3 of them) to 38 ft./lbs. Drove around the block and the exhaust leak sound was mostly gone. Need to investigate further to the root cause. Might be the valve cover gasket. Saw some oil seepage coming from the valve cover corner near the #4 spark plug wire.

Truck drives MUCH better after applying the correct torque. Felt like it was losing power while driving it. All of the protective oil has burned off and the exhaust manifold is now that ugly shade of rust coloring.
Always torque those down while the engine is cold.
1994 VG30E to VG33E with H256 Cams

jp2code is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 06:47 AM   #22886
XoXSciFiGuy

Vehicle: 1997 D21 King Cab XE 2WD, 1998 Pathfinder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reserector View Post
I had to make a cardboard template of mine and take it to a local glass shop to have one made and tempered. There's always that route if its not available anywhere.
That is really the BEST way to replace off-brand glass. Don't forget to measure the thickness, not just the length and width. Or bring a piece from the broken glass to measure the thickness.

It's cheap to get a piece of glass cut for you, too. Last time they charged me eight dollars. Took ten minutes. That was when I put a broom handle through someone's china cabinet by accident.

What I did on the truck today: Wash, wax, clean white letter tires and wheels. Just got back from a three day camping trip to the Olympics.

I'm going to recommend an item I purchased recently for both camping power, and for if the power goes out at my house. (For home use, it won't power your fridge, but it will keep your cable TV/internet modem going, some lights, your laptop, and you can charge your phones, etc up to 320 watt max load.

THIS is a portable power station that packs 300 watt hours, has true pass-through technology, (charge and use at the same time) uses the new Life Po-4 battery, (they ain't cheap) and has a voltage regulator and a solar panel MPPT controller built into the unit. Even comes with the 12 volt car charger, the wall charger, and believe it or not...an MC4 solar panel connector to the charging input. Those cables come in a nice zipper case. You can get this for a mere $200 and when you get it...there is a card inside saying if you do a nice review on it at Amazon, they will PayPal you $30. (Says Amazon gift card, but they quit doing that. You just email the address on the card.) Took them two weeks...but the money arrived. I played five hours of movies on this thing on the camping trip using a combo 9-inch DVD/TV unit, hours of radio using a flash drive with sci-fi radio shows on it, some lighting, blah blah blah...it went from 98% charged to 71%. Oh, yeah. I also have an old Super Nintendo setup and played a few games of NBA Jam on the TV, too. I was trying to see how much juice this thing holds. The Life-PO 4 battery is a real bonus, too. It's good for at least 2,000 cycles, and up to 3,000. They also don't catch fire like the straight lithiums do. Power stations using straight lithium batteries string a bunch of the 18650 batteries together, the same fat little batteries you get with a tactical flashlight. This one uses a single Life PO-4 battery. Much better. The built-in voltage regulator gives you full power without any battery fade. Full safety features of course.

So...I picked up a Renogy 50-watt solar panel at the same time for it because this power unit already had the connector that goes to the panel...and the MPPT controller built into the power station unit. After my three day field test, I decided you can't get a better portable power unit for this kind of money. No way, nada, not happening. I propped the solar panel against a tree, plugged it into the power station and it recharged to 100% in less than two hours. I also charged it one additional time from my truck and that took only a few minutes. If you keep the solar panel plugged into it, the numbers on the front will change every few seconds showing how much power is going IN...and then how much is going out. Use it all day, then d/c the panel and use it all night. I couldn't make it go below a 70% charge even using it all day WITHOUT the solar panel on it at the same time. That's a lot of camping juice. One caveat: With a Life-PO4 battery going, you should not let the battery power remaining go below 45% before doing some type of recharge. You will get thousands of recharges out of the battery that way. And with the amount of power you get before reaching that point, it's a good deal anyway. If you need to power multiple devices, just plug in a power strip. Notice that one of the AC outlets is three prong, and the other is two prong for the older stuff.

Like the young folks say...this setup is da bomb. Highly recommended. This whole setup cost me $170 and free shipping. You don't really need a solar panel, but if so that's like 65 bucks more for a 50 watt panel. You can check it out at Amazon HERE. I shopped for three weeks before I decided on it.
Picture below:

1997 King Cab XE, 5-sp, canopy, AC/PS, KA24E, 129,000 miles. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message. Chilton's for amateurs.

Last edited by XoXSciFiGuy; 04-15-2021 at 08:44 AM.
XoXSciFiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
alabama_lowlife (04-15-2021)
Old 04-15-2021, 02:13 PM   #22887
alabama_lowlife
Owner and Administrator

Vehicle: 2012 370Z, 1970 Datsun 521, 1995 Nissan Hardbody x2
Thanked 2,089 Times in 1,715 Posts

That’s pretty fuckin nifty
Old 04-15-2021, 02:25 PM   #22888
Reserector
the Flaming Marshmallow

Vehicle: Nissan HB KC 4x4

The tinted and tempered replacement glass for my camper shell cost $70.

I removed a good pane and traced it for the pattern. I found it is better to go a tad bit smaller to allow for them tracing the pattern because it will grow slightly as a result. Angle your pencil inward as you trace.
Reserector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 04:37 AM   #22889
cadillacdude1975
The Gear Jammer

Vehicle: 87 VG33 Pathfinder SE 4x4 & 87 D21 SE
Thanked 1,307 Times in 1,188 Posts

Hauled 1850 pounds of crushed #6 gravel. It was a might bit squirrelly above 50 lol

cadillacdude1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 05:33 AM   #22890
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

Vehicle: '90 D21 4cyl 5spd 2wd

Dang, that's cheap for one of those power stations. I've thought about making a crude one before using a deep cycle battery but I don't think I could do it for less than $170.

Scifi...I think you'll like the solar panel. My folks have been using solar with their campers for years. If you ever use one with a conventional deep cycle battery the solar panel will take a small eternity to charge it but it works great as a battery maintainer. It's been my experience that as long as the battery is fully charged initially and you keep the electrical load pretty small (for things like the lights, USB rechargeable stuff, and water pump for the sink) the voltage will be back up to a nice 12.6V by mid-afternoon the next day.
SBJ is offline   Reply With Quote