Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Hardbody Forum (D21)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2021, 04:44 PM   #21
Deerhurst
4/86 SE-V6 2 tone 4x4 HB
 
Deerhurst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Oregon
Posts: 7,472
Vehicle: 1986.5 SE-V6 4WD D21, 2003 Audi A4 Avant 3.0 Quattro
Thanks: 894
Thanked 924 Times in 842 Posts
Default

I havnt tried KYB yet. Utterly unimpressed with Gabriel and their CS. RA says I need to go to gabriel and when I tell gabriel that they just ghost me.
__________________
1986.5 SE-V6 4X4 D21 Hardbody
Pacesetter Long Tube Headers
Morimoto Mini D2S HID Projectors and Hella 500s
VG33i
Deerhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
amdilligaf1 (04-01-2021)
Old 04-01-2021, 02:21 AM   #22
XoXSciFiGuy
 
XoXSciFiGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 3,089
Vehicle: 1997 D21 King Cab XE 2WD, 1998 Pathfinder.
Thanks: 201
Thanked 579 Times in 525 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerhurst View Post
I havnt tried KYB yet. Utterly unimpressed with Gabriel and their CS. RA says I need to go to gabriel and when I tell gabriel that they just ghost me.
KYB is good. I have them on the front, but still running crappy Monroe stock shocks on the rear. You can definitely tell the difference. I plan to add KYB's to the rear this summer.
__________________

1997 King Cab XE, 5-sp, canopy, AC/PS, KA24E, 129,000 miles. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message. Chilton's for amateurs.
XoXSciFiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
amdilligaf1 (04-01-2021)
Old 04-01-2021, 02:57 AM   #23
Deerhurst
4/86 SE-V6 2 tone 4x4 HB
 
Deerhurst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Oregon
Posts: 7,472
Vehicle: 1986.5 SE-V6 4WD D21, 2003 Audi A4 Avant 3.0 Quattro
Thanks: 894
Thanked 924 Times in 842 Posts
Default

I'm thinking of trying skyjacker M95s. Should be better than the bilstein 4600 offering for the D21.
__________________
1986.5 SE-V6 4X4 D21 Hardbody
Pacesetter Long Tube Headers
Morimoto Mini D2S HID Projectors and Hella 500s
VG33i
Deerhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 03:23 AM   #24
amdilligaf1
i usually don't talk much
 
amdilligaf1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: south of raleigh,nc
Posts: 190
Vehicle: 1997 D21 RC 2WD KA24 5MT HF35 KH3 K
Thanks: 216
Thanked 72 Times in 56 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBJ View Post
The Beck/Arnley and OSK kits are one and the same. Don't bother with any cheap off brand ones. I bought one on Amazon a few years ago but it doesn't appear that they sell them anymore. Also get an Aisin water pump. Hitachi is the OEM but the Aisin pumps are just as good, if not better.

Here's a link. You don't necessarily need to buy from this website but this is the kit you need:
https://frsport.com/osk-13028-40f01-...240sx#pReviews
that was great advice you gave me, SBJ...FRSPORT was out of stock on the kit, bought the exact kit/same price on ebay. thank you for the quality parts link. also ordered an Aisin water pump and Hitachi oil pump. waiting on the oil pump.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerhurst View Post
I havent tried KYB yet. Utterly unimpressed with Gabriel and their CS. RA says I need to go to gabriel and when I tell gabriel that they just ghost me.
Reading your previous rant about the Gabriels is what made me change my mind on them, i had them in my saved RockAuto cart for a week or so.
i really wasn't sure, but you answered all my questions for me. thanks.


Quote:
Originally Posted by tannerg1223 View Post
The KYB shocks have been nothing but great for me! I'm running stock shocks on a 3" lowered setup and they feel fine!
that's GOOD to know. thank you for sharing, Tannerman!
how about some pictures of that cool setup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by XoXSciFiGuy View Post
KYB is good. I have them on the front, but still running crappy Monroe stock shocks on the rear. You can definitely tell the difference. I plan to add KYB's to the rear this summer.
i'm happy to hear you like the shocks so far.
and my Evergreen parts are quality stuff, i appreciate the recommendation

i also considered Monroes, but the more i read on the forums about KYBs, the more i liked them.
KYB Gas-A-Just were just a little more ($5+/-) than KYB Excel-Gs,
and are much higher rated for ride quality.
the rebate makes them cost about the same !

bought them from RockAuto for $29-$33 each. i played around with shipping until i had a big box full of stuff from the same warehouse. they came cheap that way.

i am advance auto elite,too, but KYBs were $57 each and no 20% discount, just speedperks cash off. i have 3-$5 off saved, but was allowed to use only one at the time.
auto zone wanted $62 and NAPA was $67...



KYB has a rebate until the middle of this month, $25 off if you spend $125. my RA shock total was $125 and some change, so got it barely.

i'm having to work 2nd shift this week...i installed the KYB rears yesterday morning, then got outside early today and did the fronts.

finished up 5 minutes before the rain started, so no test drive yet. replacement went pretty smooth and i am happy with how it turned out.

I had the original factory shocks on the truck, made in USA!!!
all 4 had nothing more to give...i could compress and extend them by hand...

Mail carrier dropped off the OSK timing set before i left for work,
EVERYTHING is from JAPAN. damn, it's nice!

i just got home (11pm EST) and i'm worn out, so no photos until tomorrow.
__________________
https://i.imgur.com/C1kQhyT.jpg?3 They told me "smell the roses" but i burnt the whole bouquet!

Last edited by amdilligaf1; 04-01-2021 at 03:32 AM.
amdilligaf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 04:39 AM   #25
Deerhurst
4/86 SE-V6 2 tone 4x4 HB
 
Deerhurst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Oregon
Posts: 7,472
Vehicle: 1986.5 SE-V6 4WD D21, 2003 Audi A4 Avant 3.0 Quattro
Thanks: 894
Thanked 924 Times in 842 Posts
Default

I called gabriel today. The guy sounded super worried about what I was telling him but he also said there was nothing he could do said sometimes rock auto will buy stuff as a closeout for pennies on the dollar. He said with shocks these even could be recall items, expired items, etc that were never good in the first place so I'm assuming I got some of those.



I'm really not happy with them. My old shocks with almost 190k and 34+ years on them still valved up in the rear when bouncing the rear bumper. The fronts were blown out. The gabriel proguards just bounce. They are downright sketchy with a load. I've pulled 7,000lbs with my truck and it felt solid. With the gabriel I was sketched out with a small load of firewood in the back.



I'm not sure if these are rejects or not. Doesn't sound like they should be like this. The tech guy at gabriel said he didn't see a recall or TSB for the model shocks I got.
__________________
1986.5 SE-V6 4X4 D21 Hardbody
Pacesetter Long Tube Headers
Morimoto Mini D2S HID Projectors and Hella 500s
VG33i
Deerhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 05:34 AM   #26
XoXSciFiGuy
 
XoXSciFiGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 3,089
Vehicle: 1997 D21 King Cab XE 2WD, 1998 Pathfinder.
Thanks: 201
Thanked 579 Times in 525 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerhurst View Post
I called gabriel today. The guy sounded super worried about what I was telling him but he also said there was nothing he could do said sometimes rock auto will buy stuff as a closeout for pennies on the dollar. He said with shocks these even could be recall items, expired items, etc that were never good in the first place so I'm assuming I got some of those.

I'm really not happy with them. My old shocks with almost 190k and 34+ years on them still valved up in the rear when bouncing the rear bumper. The fronts were blown out. The gabriel proguards just bounce. They are downright sketchy with a load. I've pulled 7,000lbs with my truck and it felt solid. With the gabriel I was sketched out with a small load of firewood in the back.

I'm not sure if these are rejects or not. Doesn't sound like they should be like this. The tech guy at gabriel said he didn't see a recall or TSB for the model shocks I got.
It's a pain to pull them, but is it worth it to return them?

KYB's aren't the best shocks in the world. Heck, you can spend mucho bucks on shocks if you want. But I think they do the best job for the money. And they are way better than Monroe.
__________________

1997 King Cab XE, 5-sp, canopy, AC/PS, KA24E, 129,000 miles. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message. Chilton's for amateurs.
XoXSciFiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 01:08 PM   #27
Deerhurst
4/86 SE-V6 2 tone 4x4 HB
 
Deerhurst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Oregon
Posts: 7,472
Vehicle: 1986.5 SE-V6 4WD D21, 2003 Audi A4 Avant 3.0 Quattro
Thanks: 894
Thanked 924 Times in 842 Posts
Default

The fronts can be annoying but the rears are easy.



I think I'm just going to go top end and jump over KYB, Monroe, etc. I'm thinking just Skyjacker M95s. Not sold on the Rancho 9000 yet.
__________________
1986.5 SE-V6 4X4 D21 Hardbody
Pacesetter Long Tube Headers
Morimoto Mini D2S HID Projectors and Hella 500s
VG33i
Deerhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 03:07 PM   #28
PorknBeans
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Where I can see the air I breathe...
Posts: 295
Vehicle: Original owner of my 3-pdl 1997 Nissan Hardbody King Cab XE 2WD 5-spd.
Thanks: 40
Thanked 96 Times in 77 Posts
Default

KYB's for the win!

I ran KYB Gas-Adjust with the high pressure gas inside and they held a payload in my '89 HB of cATV, ice chests, firewood, fuel etc. with the greatest of ease. Now with the bed unloaded. I felt like I was riding a bucking bull. Truck body was raised about 1.5" too. These were the white bodied shocks. I run KYB GR-2's on all 4 corners of my truck and I love them! No high pressure gas in these. But stronger than stock.
__________________
PorknBeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 06:45 AM   #29
XoXSciFiGuy
 
XoXSciFiGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 3,089
Vehicle: 1997 D21 King Cab XE 2WD, 1998 Pathfinder.
Thanks: 201
Thanked 579 Times in 525 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorknBeans View Post
KYB's for the win!

I ran KYB Gas-Adjust with the high pressure gas inside and they held a payload in my '89 HB of cATV, ice chests, firewood, fuel etc. with the greatest of ease. Now with the bed unloaded. I felt like I was riding a bucking bull. Truck body was raised about 1.5" too. These were the white bodied shocks. I run KYB GR-2's on all 4 corners of my truck and I love them! No high pressure gas in these. But stronger than stock.
Yeah...that's always the trade off. You can boost the load, but without the load...you will get bashed to pieces on bad roads. If you go spongy for the nice ride, then you can't haul a big load.

Said this on another thread, but Amazon is selling Nismo license plate frames right now (carbon fiber and stainless) for 16 bucks a pair. Free shipping if you buy 25 worth of Amazon stuff.
__________________

1997 King Cab XE, 5-sp, canopy, AC/PS, KA24E, 129,000 miles. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message. Chilton's for amateurs.
XoXSciFiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.