Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Hardbody Forum (D21)

Old 05-14-2021, 03:29 AM   #11
Morckel
She runs...like a pirate.

Vehicle: Nissan HB XE
Default I will try to catch all of these responses.

Wires are new, have switched them and still same issue. Running insanely rich.

The o2 sensors are new and are both receiving a reading to my diagnostic on my laptop.

The timing has been checked more times than I can count. Unfortunately the picture you posted about the timing doesn’t match. My manual has the same picture but doesn’t match my truck. My truck has a much larger distributor flange as well as being on more of an angle. If I place the spline like it is in the picture I am not pointing to cylinder 1.

The link with the wires all soldered together...I cut the loom apart and mine are direct all the way to the fire wall. No splices anywhere.

Also no the cat is hollow, there was nothing but a baseball sized piece left when I got it and it rattled like no other. So I cut the cat open and removed the last piece and welded it back together. I thought I had put that in the original post but I guess I didn’t. My last Nissan had the cat completely removed and didn’t smell like this, nor did it backfire like a mortar.

I tried to upload a picture but it wouldn’t let me.
Morckel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 03:38 AM   #12
Morckel

Default This is what I timed it from.

This is the only post I could find that matched my truck. And this is what it is timed from. The distributor position is wrong in the picture. Mine is 180* different than that.

http://www.infamousnissan.com/forum/...ad.php?t=33948
Old 05-14-2021, 09:53 AM   #13
XoXSciFiGuy

Vehicle: 1997 D21 King Cab XE 2WD

Quote:
Originally Posted by street_rulerr View Post
real dumb question.....you sure it still has a cat? and that its not been hollowed out with a hammer and a long screwdriver (he says from having done that as a kid)
Well, the lack of a CAT would do that I think. Back when the Japanese were cranking out these trucks, they were also trying to meet stricter US emissions laws. Nissan was one of the first to stop making 49-state/California only engines. They found out it was cheaper and easier to just make truck engines that would meet all fifty states' emissions. If you start playing with the Prime Directive, you will have problems. This tech is nearly 25 years old now, starting next year. And that's for a 97. The older trucks are well...OLDER.

Definition of the Prime Directive: Don't mess with stock too much unless you know what the hell you are doing. If you do, go for it. If you don't, hold what you got.

1997 King Cab XE, 5-sp, canopy, AC/PS, KA24E, 129,000 miles. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message. Chilton's for amateurs.
XoXSciFiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 03:35 PM   #14
ahardb0dy
The Post Count Whore

Vehicle: 2017 Nissan Frontier Desert Runner

My 93 basically had the same problem as the OP's, the cat was there but there was nothing left inside of it. It did not effect how it ran at all. I replaced the cat afterwards, no difference in how it ran.

Current truck - 2017 Nissan Frontier Desert Runner ,

(formerly owned: 1993 Nissan Hardbody king cab 2wd, 90 Nissan Sentra, 94 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4x4, 05 Nissan Titan, 87 Nissan SE-V6 4x4 king cab, 94 Infiniti Q45t & 80 Datsun 310GX )
ahardb0dy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 05:11 PM   #15
street_rulerr

Vehicle: 1996 4x4 5spd

dude......this is exactly the problem. just cause another car didnt do it bears no weight on this one not doing it.

my old car stank, backfired and sounded weird after i did this "mod" worst idea i ever had.

it stank so bad it made me sick while i was in traffic. go get a cat and call it a day
street_rulerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 05:32 PM   #16
jp2code
Software Developer

Vehicle: 94 LB 2x4 Manual VG33e
Thanked 1,574 Times in 1,382 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by street_rulerr View Post
dude......this is exactly the problem. just cause another car didnt do it bears no weight on this one not doing it.

my old car stank, backfired and sounded weird after i did this "mod" worst idea i ever had.

it stank so bad it made me sick while i was in traffic. go get a cat and call it a day
I also wanted to say last night that the gutted CAT was probably the problem, but everyone likes to jump in and say, "I did it with no problems."

Nobody understands that the newer Hardbody has more emissions controlled by the ECU than the older ones. When you jack up the emissions, the ECU freaks out and throws the truck into limp mode.
1994 VG30E to VG33E with H256 Cams

jp2code is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 06:36 PM   #17
Morckel

That is understandable. But it is not in limp mode. Limp won’t will not allow it to go 70mph with negligible issues. (Negligible- popping when shifting or deceleration.)
Old 05-14-2021, 06:37 PM   #18
Morckel

I will throw a cat on it and see what happens. Will keep you guys updated. Thanks for all the responses so far.
Old 05-14-2021, 07:00 PM   #19
ahardb0dy
The Post Count Whore

Vehicle: 2017 Nissan Frontier Desert Runner

I didn't gut the cat on my 93 it was like that when I bought it, and it wasn't gutted that I could tell deliberately. I think it broke apart somehow. I only noticed it cause I could hear a rattle from the exhaust. Upon disassembly I found hardly anything left in the cat and most of it was in the muffler.

On a previous 90 Sentra I did gut the cat but could not stand the smell of fuel, but it did not seem to effect how it ran.

But as was stated the OP's truck is a newer model compared to both of mine, I also had a test pipe on my 87 for a while before installing a high flow cat.

Current truck - 2017 Nissan Frontier Desert Runner ,

(formerly owned: 1993 Nissan Hardbody king cab 2wd, 90 Nissan Sentra, 94 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4x4, 05 Nissan Titan, 87 Nissan SE-V6 4x4 king cab, 94 Infiniti Q45t & 80 Datsun 310GX )
ahardb0dy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 07:16 PM   #20
dvdswan
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 96 HB

Maybe I missed it. But what was the original code(s) from the OBD II scanner?
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2618002
dvdswan is offline   Reply With Quote