Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Hardbody Forum (D21)

Old 05-05-2016, 09:04 AM   #1
Fanophins

Vehicle: 95 Nissan Hardbody SE 4x4 king cab
Default Sheared off alternator bolt

Hey guy's It's been a while that I've been on the best forum for Nissan trucks..So like I said the top alternator bolt has been sheared off. It's a Mean Green 180 amp alternator that has a smaller pulley on it to spin faster. I've got a smaller Napa belt because the stock one is too big and needs to be adjusted all the way out to work but haven't had time to put it on. So as a result the alternator is loose. My question is that since it happened the accessories have been been slowed to a crawl. But the coolant temp. gauge has been jumping from normal to off the charts but the engine temp. has remained as normal. Could that happen because of the alternator being loose or do I need a new temp. sensor? It seems to get worse as I turn on any electrical accessories like headlights,a/c,wipers etc. Thank You for your time in advance..
Old 05-05-2016, 09:13 AM   #2
R2D21

Vehicle: Nissan D21 1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanophins View Post
Could that happen because of the alternator being loose or do I need a new temp. sensor? It seems to get worse as I turn on any electrical accessories like headlights,a/c,wipers etc. Thank You for your time in advance..
For sure because of your belt being lose. Probably due to your alt belt catching every once in a while and sending surges through the system. I am sure you know that belt also drives your water pump/fan.

If you are talking about the adjustment bolt, that should be super easy to replace.
Old 05-05-2016, 10:04 AM   #3
Fanophins

Vehicle: 95 Nissan Hardbody SE 4x4 king cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D21 View Post
For sure because of your belt being lose. Probably due to your alt belt catching every once in a while and sending surges through the system. I am sure you know that belt also drives your water pump/fan.

If you are talking about the adjustment bolt, that should be super easy to replace.
Yeah,I agree but it's not the adjustment bolt it's the top bolt on the VG30E engine. Any other time I would drill out the bolt and use an easy out to get the broken bolt out but I'm in the middle of getting a full hip replacement in the next few weeks. I wouldn't wish this kind of pain on my worst enemy. But I hate to pay somebody else to do the work for me. I don't own a angle drill so because of the confined space I would need one or I see Dewalt makes an angle drill attachment for a drill motor. Anybody know the metric size and thread count so I can pick up a bolt from a parts store before I try to tackle this?
Old 05-06-2016, 10:28 AM   #4
jp2code
Software Developer

Vehicle: 94 LB 2x4 Manual VG33e
Thanked 1,784 Times in 1,556 Posts

I do not know what the metric size is. I'd have to pull mine off, and then take it to a hardware store to compare it to others to get that info for you. With my luck, I'd probably wind up snapping my bolt in the process, too.

But, for an angle drill: I needed one for getting the busted exhaust manifold studs out a while back. I went with this tool:

Milwaukee 2415-20 M12 12-Volt 3/8-Inch Cordless Right Angle Drill/Driver $80
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002SQK996

I've used that for all sorts of stuff, too! You just have to get the battery and charger somewhere else (I don't know why they don't have an option that includes one).

Super convenient tool! It is powerful for its size, and it can do a lot on a single charge. Also, being a lithium battery, it can sit on a shelf for 6 months and still have a charge.

Good luck with that hip thing. That sounds horrible.
1994 VG30E to VG33E with H256 Cams

jp2code is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Fanophins (05-06-2016)
Old 05-06-2016, 12:33 PM   #5
R2D21

Vehicle: Nissan D21 1990

You can also buy angle drill attachments at home depot/lowes they are pretty cheap.

http://prntscr.com/b0xzsj

im sorry I cant be of more help in another solution, I dont have the 6, I have the 2.4
Fanophins (05-06-2016)