Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Tech Area > Wiring and Electrical

Old 12-14-2012, 01:07 AM   #1
Stone Cold Goat

Vehicle: 2006 Pontiac GTO
Default Battery, Alternator, Belt squeak....all associated?

Since I have gotten my truck I have always had a belt squeak at low RPMs, when I first drive it. I also have noticed that the A/C kicks off sometimes(as in no cold air at all...compressor never kicks back on during that drive). The belt hasn't come off or anything. Never thought much of it.....but last week my battery died. So I get it tested and sure enough....its dead. No biggie....buy a new battery and off I go.

Well today I notice the A/C comp. kicking off again and not coming back on. Still, I don't think much of it. I park it, eat supper, then get in the truck to go buy a slave cyl for my GTO(Its also down right now) from the Auto Parts store. I try to crank it and its very sluggish. So I turn off the Key, and try again....nows its even more sluggish. So I try again, and it just clicks. I then wait 5 minutes and try again. Still sluggish but the battery has rejuvenated itself a little. So now im thinking the Alternator isn't working properly, which would explain my A/C issue.

I plan to go get the alternator tested tomorrow. But could it also be a belt issue? I'm not that familiar with any "common" issues with these trucks, so I wanted to ask y'all?
Stone Cold Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:42 AM   #2
Lowlyfe
Highly Medicated

Vehicle: 93 Hardbody

Have you put a multimeter on your alternator posts to see what it's charging at? If the belt is so loose that it's not spinning the alt's pulley fast enough then it's not putting off a sufficient charge, explaining why your batteries are dying. I also think that it may not be spinning the AC comp pulley enough but I dont know much about the AC system so take this with a grain of salt.
Lowlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:00 AM   #3
4DRZ

Vehicle: 2000 Nissan Frontier ext. cab

Check the tension of the belts, if loose tighten them up, and like lowlyfe said, check the running voltage with a multimeter. Engine running should be between 13.8-14.4. IF the belt tension is correct you may have a very big draw within the electrical system tat is killing/draining the battery. You will have to perform a drain test to locate the source of the drain.
4DRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:34 AM   #4
mla2ofus

Vehicle: '93 D-21

I had trouble this past summer w/ the AC compressor on our car not wanting to engage at times. Finally ordered the tool to adjust the clutch so it had the proper air gap and the problem went away.
As for thr alternator, you have a belt tension problem, an alternator problem or a problem between the alt and the batt. Best find out what it is. A load testor might help find the problem.
Mike
mla2ofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:59 AM   #5
Stone Cold Goat

Vehicle: 2006 Pontiac GTO

Thanks guys!
Stone Cold Goat is offline   Reply With Quote