Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Hardbody Forum (D21)

Old 03-19-2021, 04:19 AM   #22791
VOTS95

Vehicle: 95 XE V6 4x4 5 Sp

Quote:
Originally Posted by amdilligaf1 View Post
i do need to find a good timing chain set, probably Beck/Arnley or Japanese vendors.

anybody have links to the good stuff?

they have both Melling & Cloyes brand timing chain guides on rock auto, may buy later to compare. they are $11-$14 each
You could always order a timing kit from Courtesy Nissan in Richardson Texas using your trucks VIN. I’ve heard Nissan makes some pretty good replacement parts. Their online prices aren’t bad, it wouldn’t hurt to see what they cost and you know they’ll fit.

VOTS
VOTS95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
amdilligaf1 (03-20-2021)
Old 03-19-2021, 01:34 PM   #22792
OldGreyBeast
1986.5 HB 4x4 3.0V6

Vehicle: 86.5 Nissan D21, 87 Mercedes 190D Turbo, 10 Mercedes E350 AWD, 17 Honda CBR500R, 16 Suzuki GSXS1000

Changed the oil/filter last night. Still a slight coolant drip from behind the crank pulley. I think I'm just gonna put a bucket under the truck to catch it and ignore it. It's a couple drops an hour and I don't want to pull all that crap off the front of the motor again.

OldGreyBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 02:12 PM   #22793
PoBoi850

Vehicle: 88 Nissan Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by XoXSciFiGuy View Post
The best timing chain tensioner in existence was designed by the guy in Spokane.
https://www.martin-industries.net/
Do they make one for the Z24i ? I am currently in the market for a Timing Chain KIT
PoBoi850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 04:41 PM   #22794
93SEV64x4

Vehicle: Nissan Frontier Pro-4X 2018

@PorknBeans --Thanks. I used to build military models as a kid, but very, very, rarely build any models now.
93SEV64x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 08:37 PM   #22795
PorknBeans

Vehicle: Original Owner of my 3-pdl 1997 Nissan Hardbody XE King Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93SEV64x4 View Post
@PorknBeans --Thanks. I used to build military models as a kid, but very, very, rarely build any models now.
Maybe something to get back into?

Lots of collectors/enthusiasts out there looking for scaled down replicas to purchase.
Old 03-20-2021, 04:15 AM   #22796
amdilligaf1
i usually don't talk much

Vehicle: 1997 D21 RC 2WD KA24 5MT HF35 KH3 K

thanks for all the good parts ideas, guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XoXSciFiGuy View Post
The best timing chain tensioner in existence was designed by the guy in Spokane.
https://www.martin-industries.net/
thanks, RB...yep, i agree 100%.
you and i talked before christmas and he was out of stock, he put me on the waiting list and emailed me when they were in.

it was my present to me ! it's getting me motivated to round up the other pieces now that spring has sprung.

mr jim started the NPORA website. lots of great info from him, jim carroll (mr.510)and others, even if one doesn't have a off road rig. some of our IN members even post there. very good pathfinder and Xterra resources.

here is a thread from mr.510 building a VGhttp://www.nissanpathfinders.net/for...n-my-88-pathy/

it wouldn't surprise me if he was the one machining the tensioners for martin, but i'm not gonna ask !

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBJ View Post
The Beck/Arnley and OSK kits are one and the same. Don't bother with any cheap off brand ones. I bought one on Amazon a few years ago but it doesn't appear that they sell them anymore. Also get an Aisin water pump. Hitachi is the OEM but the Aisin pumps are just as good, if not better.

Here's a link. You don't necessarily need to buy from this website but this is the kit you need:
https://frsport.com/osk-13028-40f01-...240sx#pReviews
thanks, sbj. that ^^^ really sent me down the rabbit hole. and amazon has Aisin water pumps for $30. it's in the cart as i build the list. i appreciate the warning, there is lots of sketchy kits on there!

opinions on evergreen? i can't remember if they are shady, as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOTS95 View Post
You could always order a timing kit from Courtesy Nissan in Richardson Texas using your trucks VIN. I’ve heard Nissan makes some pretty good replacement parts. Their online prices aren’t bad, it wouldn’t hurt to see what they cost and you know they’ll fit.

VOTS
thank you, VOTS. i have bought from nissanpartsplus and nissanpartsdeal in the past, both are nissan dealers.
do we still have a guy at Courtesy Nissan?
i have heard good stuff about Courtesy on here before, and will check em out. and a certain arizona dealer, too

i will price Nissan oem first, then expand to other vendors to compare.

i found a good price for both nissan sprockets and chain and the slack side guide, but the tight side chain guide has been discontinued. i really want to find an updated one with metal guides.

i am at $184 now, w/o Jim's tensioner,water pump, tight chain guide, o rings, or gaskets.
so....chain, slack side guide, both sprockets, L&R guide bolts, crank oil thrower, tensioner bolts, and crank keys priced so far.

i will post the whole shopping list before i bite the bullet.

and here i am trying to break the previous owner's 2" hitch ball loose. i need a 1-7/8" on it for my 5x8 utility trailer.

i have tried wd, pb, and a cheater bar and hammer. decided it needed more PB!! rigged up a water bottle w/PB and let it sit since yesterday to soak the nut and draw up the threads.
i forgot all about it this morning and drove to town, it didn't even look like any leaked out. i will beat on it a while tomorrow, sunny and 54!

gonna build me a teal terror tribute, one piece at the time !

and i saw a cool local d21 today, stopped and talked to the elderly owner, now i have dibs !!
Old 03-20-2021, 04:53 AM   #22797
Midnight Tech
Technical Admin

Location: Back in SC again...in the back of a REAL parts store...
Vehicle: 1986.5 D21 Hardbody 2WD

Quote:
and here i am trying to break the previous owner's 2" hitch ball loose. i need a 1-7/8" on it for my 5x8 utility trailer.

i have tried wd, pb, and a cheater bar and hammer. decided it needed more PB!! rigged up a water bottle w/PB and let it sit since yesterday to soak the nut and draw up the threads.
i forgot all about it this morning and drove to town, it didn't even look like any leaked out. i will beat on it a while tomorrow, sunny and 54!
Quit fooling around with the WD and PB and get you a can of Kano AeroKroil!

Out of Round Tuits....
Midnight Tech is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 05:24 AM   #22798
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

Vehicle: '90 D21 4cyl 5spd 2wd

Quote:

thanks, sbj. that ^^^ really sent me down the rabbit hole. and amazon has Aisin water pumps for $30. it's in the cart as i build the list. i appreciate the warning, there is lots of sketchy kits on there!

opinions on evergreen? i can't remember if they are shady, as well.
Personally I would only use the OE parts in this application. It's fine to cheap out on other things as long as they're easy to get to and you're okay with having to replace them again someday. I made the mistake of using a cheap no-name kit the first time around and it still rattled afterwards. Then, about 4 years in the chain guide cracked and slid off the metal backing and it would make a racket any time the RPMs dipped below 1500. About the same time the parts store reman water pump had begun leaking from the weep hole (I replaced it the first time I did the chain). The OSK kits are the OE parts minus the nissan logo, much in the same way Aisin timing belt kits are the OE parts for Toyota and Honda vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Tech View Post
Kroil FTW. It's not cheap though. I keep a can of it around for the ~5% of stuff PB blaster doesn't work on.

Amdilligaf1...there's also the torch if all else fails. But I wouldn't do that unless your bumper is already beat up and you don't care about the chrome.
SBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 06:08 AM   #22799
amdilligaf1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Tech View Post
i don't know why i had never heard of it.
but i was at LKQ last summer and there was CJ next to the D21 i was fleecing. looked over and saw a box wrench and about a rusty half can of areokroil in the tub !

it had no pressure but i took it home and punched the can, poured it in a glass jar. i use it sparingly on the tough stuff, need to get more, definitely.
it is good.

and i'm 8 years and halfway through a gallon of the PB !!

may hit it with the impact, they say it's better to do that than just try to loosen it....a cheater bar ain't doing it so far.
Old 03-20-2021, 06:16 AM   #22800
amdilligaf1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBJ View Post

Personally I would only use the OE parts in this application. It's fine to cheap out on other things as long as they're easy to get to and you're okay with having to replace them again someday. The OSK kits are the OE parts minus the nissan logo, much in the same way Aisin timing belt kits are the OE parts for Toyota and Honda vehicles.

Kroil FTW. It's not cheap though. I keep a can of it around for the ~5% of stuff PB blaster doesn't work on.
i agree. thank you for the info. that's the kind of stuff i like to know. the OSK chain looked real good zoomed in, whereas the Melling looked like the links were held together with pop rivets !!