Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Hardbody Forum (D21)

Old 11-25-2021, 10:14 PM   #11
xokia

Vehicle: 1988 D21 V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89'HBV6 View Post
Try something...

- Key in the ignition, turn to acc
- Press brake and shift into R
- Move shifter back into P
- Try to start

I'm now suspicious of the P switch. Deal with the simple stuff first... it ran before, right?

Floor shifter, right? Some liquid spilled there, at some time in the past. Easy to do...

edit: Yes, this is a lockout switch...

Yes ran like an hour before it quite on me. Luckily it decided to die at home. Now water no nothing just an old truck.

Yes shifter is on the floor. Tried moving the shifter around tried shifting into neutral. I get nothing. Where is the park safety switch located is that in the shifter? If I tear that apart can I access it?
xokia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 10:43 PM   #12
89'HBV6
Ol'school Geek

Vehicle: 89' D21 KC SE V6 5spd 2WD - 87' D21 KC SE V6 5spd 2WD

Do you have a FSM yet? I know, you've been here a while, but it's quite useful. It will point you in the right direction.

Check the link in my sig... v v v v

What he is saying is the aerodynamics of a D21 is a brick in the wind.
Probably at least as bad as a Jeep so worse than a cow.
89'HBV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
xokia (11-29-2021)
Old 11-26-2021, 10:06 AM   #13
XoXSciFiGuy

Vehicle: 2009 Xterra, 1997 D21 King Cab XE (sold)

This problem might be beyond my abilities, but I can tell you this much:
Do NOT, under any circumstances, install a cheap China starter into these trucks. They just don't work. Mostly.

The regional director in the Seattle area for Advance Auto Parts is a friend of mine. And that started when he was just a store manager in Auburn, WA. This is what he started telling customers about any starter for a hardbody that is rebuilt in China, or COMES from China:

Quote:
"These guys (China companies) buy up starter cores by the boatload. They have them shipped back to China for a rebuild. But all they really do is just have amateurs give them a quick check, sort of make them work, and send them right back out to the USA again. I have done more exchanges on these things than you would believe. They give you a 'lifetime warranty' on them but they don't CARE if you return them and exchange for another one because they already have your money. It's an endless loop of baloney. These starters make more trips across the Pacific Ocean than the US Navy 7th Fleet. I began advising my customers not to buy them..."
I had this happen twice before he told me this stuff. My advice is to get a rebuilt from Bosch, or Hitachi, and make sure you buy one that includes a NEW pigtail. After I did that, I never had a problem again with my 97 king cab. And when I owned that truck, it got the best of care. For old times' sake, my favorite picture of it is below. Love my 09 Xterra, but I still miss that truck.

2009 Xterra, 4.0 liter, automatic, 4WD. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message. Chilton's for amateurs.

Last edited by XoXSciFiGuy; 11-26-2021 at 10:14 AM.
XoXSciFiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
xokia (11-29-2021)
Old 11-26-2021, 02:59 PM   #14
Cusser

Vehicle: 2004 Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by xokia View Post
It's an automatic. I was thinking Park safety switch or something.

Anyone know what voltage I should be seeing on those two wires that go to the starter solenoid? Wish I could rig up some kind of jumper to manually test it out. I have 2 wires going to the solenoid.

Big wire to the solenoid should be 12 volts positive ("hot").

Smaller wire should be 12 volts positive WHEN the key is in the "Start" position AND the neutral safety switch (a contact switch) is "closed" by the transmission being in park or neutral.

One way to test battery and starter in your instance is to use a short piece of wire - best if there's an inline fuse in this wire - put transmission in park or neutral (be sure), and use this jumper wire to momentarily touch 12 volts positive from either the battery or from the large wire/terminal on the starter solenoid to the small terminal on the starter solenoid. BE AWARE THAT THE ENGINE MIGHT CRANK, SO BE AWAY FROM ANY ROTATING ENGINE PARTS LIKE THE ENGINE FANS. NOTICE THE CAPITALS.
2004 Frontier King Cab (2WD, 5-speed, 4-cylinder, 105K), 1998 Frontier regular cab (2WD, 5-speed, 4-cylinder 253K), 1988 Mazda B2200 (2WD, 5-speed, 4-cylinder, 220K), 1971 VW Convertible (140K), 2005 Yukon (215K), 1970 VW (260+K)
Cusser is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
xokia (11-29-2021)
Old 11-26-2021, 03:00 PM   #15
Cusser

Vehicle: 2004 Frontier

Minor edit to above post
2004 Frontier King Cab (2WD, 5-speed, 4-cylinder, 105K), 1998 Frontier regular cab (2WD, 5-speed, 4-cylinder 253K), 1988 Mazda B2200 (2WD, 5-speed, 4-cylinder, 220K), 1971 VW Convertible (140K), 2005 Yukon (215K), 1970 VW (260+K)
Cusser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 07:29 PM   #16
xokia

I got the solenoid to finally activate by moving it in and out of park a few times. I suspect the park safety switch is going bad. It must be plugged into the transmission somewhere I'll have to look. It still did not turn over so I purchased a new starter. Will see if that fixes it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XoXSciFiGuy View Post
This problem might be beyond my abilities, but I can tell you this much:
Do NOT, under any circumstances, install a cheap China starter into these trucks. They just don't work. Mostly.
Fairly sure when I replaced it I replaced it with a new one. I recall it being close to $200. But I cant find the receipt or even know where I purchased it.

I went ahead and purchased a "new" starter from autozone. It was $160 plus core deposit. Wasn't a reman so hopefully this does it. Crazy how long they kept the same body style, this one is an 88 and looks the same as yours except for red........well kinda pink now. Someday I will get it repainted. It's the wife's fathers truck he bought new in 88 and both of her parents have passed on. So we will have it until it rusts into the ground, its gets smashed, or we both pass on ourselves. I took advantage of the crazy truck prices right now and sold my 2015 Ram 3500 for $6k more then I paid for it new in 2015. So I am without a vehicle and will be driving this one until I buy a replacement. Going from a big truck to a tiny truck is rough

Last edited by xokia; 11-29-2021 at 07:39 PM.
Old 11-29-2021, 07:48 PM   #17
89'HBV6
Ol'school Geek

Pull the shifter apart and clean the lockout switch. I suspect this is where (part of) your problem lies.

Old 11-29-2021, 08:01 PM   #18
xokia

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89'HBV6 View Post
Pull the shifter apart and clean the lockout switch. I suspect this is where (part of) your problem lies.

Switch isn't in the shifter. Took it apart and looked already. I suspect the switch is off the transmission somewhere.
Old 11-29-2021, 09:56 PM   #19
89'HBV6
Ol'school Geek

Ah, ok. I know that many companies put it in with the shifter. Guess Nissan chose to be "different"? Sorry for leading you there....
Old 12-12-2021, 10:37 PM   #20
xokia

So who has removed the starter before and what's the trick for getting it out of there? I've got it all disconnected and ready to come out. I recall when I replaced it originally fighting with it for a long time before I got it out. I don't remember what I ended up doing.

Is it easier to remove the oil filter and take it out the top? Or unbolt the motor mount and jack up the engine and take it out the bottom. The engineer that designed this should be tar and feathered and then shot!