View Single Post
Old 07-28-2020, 10:19 AM   #2
XoXSciFiGuy

Vehicle: 1997 D21 King Cab XE 2WD

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHAOSLOST View Post
Hi everyone I'm on here trying to find some answers on fixing my truck. I can't afford to pay someone to fix it so I'm pretty much a do it yourselfer. So if anyone knows what they are talking about and can help me please I could really use some help....

Here is my problem. I burnt up the clutch in my 1996 hardbody and it sat up for about 6 months. I finally got my truck to where I could start work on it. Dropped my tranny changed out the clutch, pressure plate, and throw out berring. Put the transmission back in (also changed my crankshaft position sensor it was bad) also let me include that prior to changing my clutch kit I pretty much ran it out of gas. It use to want start with just the turn of the key. Well I try to start it now and it won't start. It's not the starter it's something to do with fuel or lack of. It has about a quarter tank of gas now so it's in the tank. But it's not getting to the carburetor. For what ever reason because I can pour a little gas into the carburetor and it will crank up but won't stay running once it burns the little gas I put in the carburetor.

Any advice??
If you ran it completely out of gas, the fuel filter might be gonzo. Let me ask a question.

When you turn the key to the ON position, do you hear the two-second 'whirring' noise from the fuel pump? If not, you may have a bad pump. If you DO hear the noise, look first to the fuel filter.

But be careful. That fuel line is under 40-45 pounds of pressure and can spray fuel all over the place if you don't take the proper steps to release the pressure before disconnecting the fuel line from the filter. This is what you do, assuming you are still getting the two-second whirring sound from the fuel pump:

1) This is all done best on a COLD engine. Turn the key to the ON position.

2) After the whirring sound stops, pull the fuse for the fuel pump and set it aside. Turn the ignition key to OFF and remove it.

3) Disconnect your battery completely and move it out of the way.

4) Get a small container ready to catch the fuel. Pull the line going INTO the fuel filter, but pinch it off HARD when doing so.

5) Stuff the hose into the container you have to catch the fuel. Fuel will spray into the container and stop.

6) When the fuel stops flowing, put on a new fuel filter. The outlet hose on the front side will drip, but not much.

7) When your new filter is completely installed and the hoses connected, go ahead and put your battery back in.

8) Put your fuel pump fuse back in.

9) Turn key to the ON position and listen for the fuel pump to do its two-second whirring noise.

10) Try to start the truck.

And WELCOME to Infamous Nissan!

1997 King Cab XE, 5-sp, canopy, AC/PS, KA24E, 129,000 miles. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message. Chilton's for amateurs.

Last edited by XoXSciFiGuy; 07-29-2020 at 01:07 AM.
XoXSciFiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
89'HBV6 (07-28-2020), KHAOSLOST (07-14-2021)