View Single Post
Old 04-07-2021, 03:31 AM   #1
chrismtb

Vehicle: 1988 D21 4x4 SEV6
Default One lowbeam and one highbeam not working (not bulbs)

I'm having an issue where my driver side low beam and passenger side high beam are both out. I get one side lit in low and one lit in high. This is on a 1988 D21 Hardbody SEV6, standard bulbs.

I have replaced the bulbs and the problem sticks with the side of the car. E.g., if I swap bulbs between the 2 sides, the driver side low beam is still out.

When I check the voltages, I get 12-14 volts (depending on if the truck is running) across the appropriate terminals. On the driver side, that's between red/green to black for low beam and between red/blue to black for high beam. On the passenger side, that's between red/black to black for low beam and red/yellow to black for high beam.

Given the correct voltages, I'd guess that there's a weak connection or high resistance somewhere that is causing a voltage drop when a load is placed across it. I'd guess it might be the headlight or high beam switches on the steering column and I'd like to see if anyone has suggestions before I tear it apart.

One thing I see on the driver side is this random connector hanging loose on the wire to the headlight and I can't find anything it was supposed to connect to. Does anyone know what that is?

Last edited by jp2code; 04-07-2021 at 06:32 PM.
chrismtb is offline   Reply With Quote