Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums

Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums (http://www.infamousnissan.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wiring and Electrical (http://www.infamousnissan.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Lost instrument/gauge cluster lights, tail lights, and marker lights. (http://www.infamousnissan.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46440)

DatCamaroGuy 05-03-2022 05:45 AM

Lost instrument/gauge cluster lights, tail lights, and marker lights.

(1991 model) Headlights, turn signals and brake lights work. Yesterday I went on a 4 hour round trip to pick up some parts and used a small trailer to transport them home, which is a standard 4 pin connection. I noticed that my end was corroded a little as this is the first time trailering with my pickup since I got it 6 months ago. I cleaned it and the tail lights on the trailer looked better than when I first saw them. I probably didn't clean the connector out enough, though.

As the cluster, marker, and tail lights all turned on when I turn the lights switch on the "markers only" spot on the light knob, I think it may be the switch. Funny enough, I bought one a few months ago because I thought it was the problem to a headlight out, but it wasn't, so I have the entire light switch/turn signal/cruise stick on hand. But if it was a fuse or a relay, where would it be located?

EDIT: I changed the tense of "turn" to "turned" to clarify that i have no cluster, marker, or tail lights at all.

Cusser 05-03-2022 12:31 PM

Sounds like a bad headlight switch to me. Instrument cluster illumination, tail lights, and marker lights are all on the same circuit. Sounds like the contact for those in the headlight switch when in the "headlights on" position is not "closing" that circuit.

Your choice whether to replace the switch, or to "engineer" wiring so the cluster illumination, tail lights, and marker lights only come on in the headlight position (I did just that on my '8 Mazda truck before I replaced the headlight switch).

Deerhurst 05-03-2022 12:31 PM

Fuse in the kick panel.

Cusser 05-03-2022 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deerhurst (Post 559649)
Fuse in the kick panel.

No, he stated cluster, marker, and tail lights all turn on when he turns the lights switch on the "markers only" spot on the light knob.

dvdswan 05-03-2022 01:46 PM

I vote headlight switch needing cleaning or replacement as well.

Deerhurst 05-03-2022 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cusser (Post 559650)
No, he stated cluster, marker, and tail lights all turn on when he turns the lights switch on the "markers only" spot on the light knob.

Missed that.

I have had issues with trailers causing my dash to go dead in the past. Was always a fuse issue.

If it comes back with the switch in a certain spot it's the switch.

DatCamaroGuy 05-03-2022 02:26 PM

Edit: forgot to clarify that my gauges, markers, and tail lights do not work at all. I just knew that they are all on the same circuit. That circuit is completely dead.

ahardb0dy 05-03-2022 05:31 PM

Fuse should be bottom row far right. You can take a test light, and probe the end of each fuse to check them, probe top and bottom of the fuses.

DatCamaroGuy 05-03-2022 11:39 PM

UPDATE: It was the 10 Amp fuse. For anyone looking at this issue that stumbles on this thread, the gauge clusters, marker lights, AND tail lights are on the same circuit. The fuse location is the bottom right of the panel underneath the left blower vent. It is labeled "Tail Lamp". I thought I had to replace the switch but nope, it was a fuse. Nice and simple.

Tropicalcats 05-04-2022 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dvdswan (Post 559653)
I vote headlight switch needing cleaning or replacement as well.

Ditto Itís happened to me a couple times