Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums

Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums (http://www.infamousnissan.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hardbody Forum (D21) (http://www.infamousnissan.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   vg30e ignition miss (http://www.infamousnissan.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46140)

a089592 12-27-2021 09:48 PM

vg30e ignition miss

Hello! I'm having a problem with my 92 D21 V6 manual 4x4 SE king cab. it has developed what feels like a strong ignition miss. The higher the gear im in or the more load its under, it seems to feel worse. but it can be felt in all gears under all loads. When the problem first appeared it would come and go like a light switch...on or off. Now its doing it pretty much all the time, cold or hot. I've replaced the coil with a new one because I was "sure" that had to be it...it wasn't. I also replaced the plug wires but that also made no difference.. The plugs and dist cap and rotor only have a couple thousand miles on them and still look new. I pulled the three plugs i can easily get to and they look great. I swapped out the MAF and TPS with boneyard parts and no change. I realize they could also be bad. It starts perfectly every time, cold or hot. It revs all the way to redline as it should. I've checked the primitive computer for codes and it showed 55, all good. I'm stumped. Given all that, I'd love to hear any advice from anyone who has experienced anything like this or may have ideas that I haven't thought of.

89'HBV6 12-27-2021 09:51 PM

Sounds like you have a timing issue. Got a timing gun? Search the site for more info...

edit: You should also check the other 3 plugs... yea, that's not eliminated yet.

Also, if you've not yet DL'd... there a link to the FSM in my signature. v v v

alabama_lowlife 12-27-2021 11:19 PM

I’d inspect the cap and rotor just to rule them out. Make sure there are no defects. Then try to determine which cylinder is misfiring. You may be able to tell by inspecting the spark plugs.

Deerhurst 12-27-2021 11:22 PM

It's be suspicious of the call and rotor too.

Check timing. NGK plugs and wires is what these trucks like.

jp2code 12-28-2021 02:22 PM

If the cap, rotor, plugs, wires, and ignition timing are all good - I'm guessing you have a vacuum leak.

a089592 01-13-2022 07:38 PM

Just wanted to follow up on this thread with the resolution. I ended up taking it to a shop and they found 2 bad fuel injectors. Hope this helps anyone in the future that has a similar issue. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and advice.

rbourgeo 01-14-2022 03:04 PM

Did they remove the injectors to test them? Or just mechanics stethoscope? I suppose they may not have told you.

I feel I have a bad injector or two, and have been considering sending mine for cleaning or testing… but at the local prices I see, it’s almost 2/3rds of a new hitachi injector. So I’m thinking just replacing them all…

jp2code 01-14-2022 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by a089592 (Post 557007)
Just wanted to follow up on this thread with the resolution. I ended up taking it to a shop and they found 2 bad fuel injectors. Hope this helps anyone in the future that has a similar issue. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and advice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbourgeo (Post 557027)
Did they remove the injectors to test them? Or just mechanics stethoscope? I suppose they may not have told you.

I feel I have a bad injector or two, and have been considering sending mine for cleaning or testing… but at the local prices I see, it’s almost 2/3rds of a new hitachi injector. So I’m thinking just replacing them all…

For the VG30e with the intake plenum, the labor charge to remove the plenum so that you can get the fuel rail off is roughly $600 depending on what the shop's hourly rate is.

The injectors are all supposed to be replaced together. Like tires and spark plugs, when one goes - they are probably all worn out. The VG30e takes 6 injectors.

Hitachi injectors (about $200 each) are awesome if they haven't been sitting on the shelf a long time. Otherwise, the rubbers in them will dry rot.

Remanufactured injectors (about $35 to $65 each) are typically rebuilt when you order them.

Gasoline with ethanol typically degrades and dissolves the seals in the VG30e injectors. I don't know why they can't come out with an updated part number that includes the upgraded "ethanol resistant" parts, but they don't.

Try to get ethanol free gas when you can.

rbourgeo 01-14-2022 04:00 PM

The hitachis appear to be about 47USD on rock auto… doesn’t mention reman, but you suppose they are?

I’ve taken off the upper plenum a few times. Sort of a pain in the ass but doesn’t take that long. Half an hour or so. $600 seems steep

jp2code 01-14-2022 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbourgeo (Post 557030)
The hitachis appear to be about 47USD on rock auto… doesn’t mention reman, but you suppose they are?

I’ve taken off the upper plenum a few times. Sort of a pain in the ass but doesn’t take that long. Half an hour or so. $600 seems steep

Richard

Mine came from the dealership. Rockauto.com certainly costs less, and usually they will order in bulk and sell them until they are gone. If you see 6 of them, I'd suggest snagging them while they are there. You can always store them in ziplock baggies until you are ready to work on your injectors.