Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > My Infamous Nissan > Project Build Log

Old 01-07-2011, 07:45 PM   #1
Krisko
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 1986 Nissan 720 ST
Sheep Krisko's 720 Project - Updated 3/7/15

Ok, I finally got another project vehicle. This time it's a 1986 Nissan 720 ST. It came from the factory with power windows and locks as well as a pop up sunroof. I got this truck a couple of months ago and have been steadily working on it. A lot of work has been done since I got it, although it's a lot of stuff nobody will really notice.

So far I've cut out the wheel wells in the front, removed all the unnecessary electrical components and wiring in the engine bay and ripped out all the carpeting so I can do some welding without starting a small fire lol.

I have trimmed the front fenders and made some brackets to allow the Toyota 2wd bumper to fit where the stock piece was (this was kindof a pain in the ass).

To clean up the engine bay and to make way for the 22's (yes I said 22's) I decided to not just move the clutch and brake masters but I eliminated them all together. I instead chose to run a Wilwood reverse swing pedal assembly that mounts the masters under the dash (also a pain in the ass). I used a 1" Wilwood master for the front, a 1" for the rear and a 5/8" for the clutch. The master cylinders all have remote mounted reservoirs that I mounted inside the glovebox. Open the box, boom there's your masters to check and fill.. I reran all my brake and clutch lines and built the mounting brackets for the assembly then shaved the spots on the firewall the stock units resided. And in case you wanna know, it drives and stops great!

In the rear I removed the bumper and welded in a roll pan and then removed the aluminum trim panel that says NISSAN and welded up the holes. I used a 11 gallon spun aluminum fuel cell to hold my go-go juice and mounted it in the bed right behind the cab. I've also removed the wheel tubs in the rear to start work on the 4 link.

I'm slowly piecing together my bag setup. I've already installed two 5 gallon aluminum tanks I got from AVS. I will be running 1/2" Parker valves and two Viair 444's with 2500 Denominator II's in the front and 2600 Denominator II's in the rear. I'll be running control arms from DHP and I'm still unsure if I'm doing just a simple bag on bar or if I'll go for a more complex setup in the rear..

The truck will be getting a 35x35 sliding ragtop, a lexan rear window with the license plate frenched in on the driver's side, a classic car steel dash and steering wheel, a wood bed utilizing some aged barn wood and new hardware, the truck will be painted white with some undecided graphics (possibly some gray-scale flames with some air brushed goodies inside) and of course this will all happen on 22's that will be mounted on my 5-lug conversion using 95 Toyota front assemblies, a shortened Toyota rear-end (to make room for the big wheels) a disc brake conversion and a pinion mounted emergency brake setup. Also, I plan on stuffing in a 350 at some point.

Keep in mind, this truck 'WILL BE' and 'IS' driven and it will not be trailered unless it's torn down for some reason.

I have all of my bag stuff ready to go, so I'll be posting pics as we go along. Expect to see me out on the local show circuit as soon as the season starts back up!
Krisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:46 PM   #2
Krisko
Super Moderator

Picking up my new project...

Baller ass floor mats!

Gotta love old school rides..

Static dropped for now, gotta love torsions and blocks!! lol

Welded in the roll pan..

Fabricating some new bumper mounts..

Got the Toyota 2wd bumper installed..

Another shot..

Mounting up the Wilwood reverse swing pedal assembly and three master cylinders..

No more ugly ass master cylinders and lots and lots of room for wheels!! lol
Old 01-07-2011, 07:47 PM   #3
Krisko
Super Moderator

Made a temporary floating license plate holder..

Tank mounts I was making..

Tank test fit..

New spun aluminum fuel cell... I love this look.

'Properly' removing the rear wheel tub panels.. not just hacking them out.

All gone.. just gotta clean it up now.

One down, one to go..

Big pain in the ass, but needed to be done..

And last pic of the day.. the 22x9.5's I 'think' I'll be running. Still have a little more measuring to do, but I think they're gonna work just fine.

Stay tuned for much much much more!
Old 01-07-2011, 08:41 PM   #4
alabama_lowlife
Owner and Administrator

Vehicle: 2011 Nissan Frontier, 08 altima, 1970 Datsun 521, 1995 Nissan Hardbody
Thanked 1,478 Times in 1,213 Posts

looking good so far. i like those wheels
alabama_lowlife is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:48 PM   #5
snakecbaker

Vehicle: 1985 Nissan 720 King Cab ST

looking good keep up the good work
Old 01-07-2011, 10:02 PM   #6
sawedoffvo
one of biloxi's finest.

Vehicle: 1997 king kab bagged. boddied. and shaved. 4link. 4x4 fenders front and graffted to the bed. not fin

Nice, you've got more work done in a couple months then I have in a year
sawedoffvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:34 PM   #7
ecdynasty540

Vehicle: 86 nissan 720, 93 nissan hardbody

Nice man lookin good. How hard was it makin the mounts for the yota bumper I'm goin to put one on my 720 got a feeling its gonna be a pain
ecdynasty540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:17 PM   #8
Krisko
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecdynasty540 View Post
Nice man lookin good. How hard was it makin the mounts for the yota bumper I'm goin to put one on my 720 got a feeling its gonna be a pain
Well, I just took the factory Nissan mounts and kept the half that mounts to the frame and then after a little measuring I fabbed the half that goes to the Toyota bumper. I suggest getting some Toyota brackets maybe from the junk yard, would be a tad easier. The Yota bumper mounts are a tad wider. But nothing a halfway decent driveway fabricator cant handle.

The bumper is a whole other story. You'll need to trim your fenders just under the marker lamps.. Then you'll need to, little by little, fit and trim your bumper. Once you get it just right you'll need to mock it up to the truck so you can fab your mounts. It helps to have a couple of friends handy to line it all up.

It wasn't easy but it wasn't that hard either. Just take your time.

I think the Toyota bumper looks great on the 720! Hope that helps.

Last edited by Krisko; 01-08-2011 at 02:11 AM.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:21 PM   #9
Snoop-E

Vehicle: 90 Nissan hardbody, 84 Nissan 720

that is goin to be 1 sexy ass 720! keep us updated
Old 01-08-2011, 03:21 AM   #10
spectrum9

Vehicle: 1987 nissan hardbody

i like the fuel cell that's cool.
spectrum9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
crowns77 (07-02-2012)