Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Hardbody Forum (D21)

Old 09-12-2020, 08:49 PM   #1
dylanaguon

Vehicle: 1991 Nissan Hardbody
Default Negative Camber.

Just recently installed 3in drop blocks in the rear of my 91 hardbody. Turned out great and just did torsion bars in the front to stay within budget. Took it to get aligned after lowering torsion bars as recommended by many forums and videos. Alignment went well besides the fact they couldn't do anything about the negative camber.. which was what I was hoping they'd fix the most. In a way, I like the neg camber look but I'm concerned if it's ok to let these these old trucks run with a camber like that. I'm aware of shims to fix the camber but just wanted some other people's opinion of whether or not a negative camber is ok to be run for a long period of time.
dylanaguon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 12:37 AM   #2
EF2

Vehicle: 94 king cab

i take it you matched the front to the rear with just the torsion bars only?
EF2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 01:25 AM   #3
alabama_lowlife
Owner and Administrator

Vehicle: 2012 370Z, 1970 Datsun 521, 1995 Nissan Hardbody x2
Thanked 2,014 Times in 1,656 Posts

They should have shimmed the upper control arms to correct the camber. If it was too much to shim they could have adjusted the torsion bars up until they got it in spec.
Old 09-13-2020, 04:21 PM   #4
nunya

Vehicle: nissan d21 93 kingcab red

I had lowered my rear with blocks, then my front by loosening the torsion bars. After a few months I was tired of feeling every bump in the road, so I installed drop spindles.This allowed me to re tighten the torsion bars, improving the ride. The drop spindle cost me about $220 and were not too difficult to install.
Old 09-15-2020, 11:38 PM   #5
dragnaz

Vehicle: 86 1/2 Nissan Hardbody

You can drive the truck forever with negative camber. Obviously, you will wear the inside edge of the tires faster than the rest of the tire. But it won't hurt the truck. Depending on how much negative camber you have the alignment shop might not have been able to set the camber correctly, due to the shortness of the upper control arm bolts. However, you can go and get longer GRADE 8 bolts to replace the factory ones so you can have more adjustment. I did it to mine 25 years ago and I am still using them today.

On a side note, 2" drop spindles and a slight torsion bar adjustment would be preferred but you have done will work as well
dylanaguon (09-17-2020)
Old 09-18-2020, 12:47 AM   #6
dylanaguon

So if I installed 3in blocks in the rear, what size spindles should I get??? 2in, 2.5, or 3 in??
Right now the lowered torsions bars make the front end look slightly lower than the rear, but it gives me the more dropped look that I wanted.
Old 09-18-2020, 12:48 AM   #7
dylanaguon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunya View Post
I had lowered my rear with blocks, then my front by loosening the torsion bars. After a few months I was tired of feeling every bump in the road, so I installed drop spindles.This allowed me to re tighten the torsion bars, improving the ride. The drop spindle cost me about $220 and were not too difficult to install.
So if I installed 3in blocks in the rear, what size spindles should I get??? 2in, 2.5, or 3 in??
Right now the lowered torsions bars make the front end look slightly lower than the rear, but it gives me the more dropped look that I wanted.
Old 09-18-2020, 03:03 AM   #8
EF2

Vehicle: 94 king cab

they only make 2 inch drop spindles. if you’re willing to spend the money, get the belltech ones and turn your torsion bars back up and match what you had prior. you’ll then be able to get a proper alignment and the truck will ride better too.
EF2 is online now   Reply With Quote