Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Hardbody Forum (D21)

Old 07-28-2020, 09:21 AM   #1
KHAOSLOST

Vehicle: 1996 Nissan Pickup
Default 1996 Hardbody won't start

Hi everyone I'm on here trying to find some answers on fixing my truck. I can't afford to pay someone to fix it so I'm pretty much a do it yourselfer. So if anyone knows what they are talking about and can help me please I could really use some help....

Here is my problem. I burnt up the clutch in my 1996 hardbody and it sat up for about 6 months. I finally got my truck to where I could start work on it. Dropped my tranny changed out the clutch, pressure plate, and throw out berring. Put the transmission back in (also changed my crankshaft position sensor it was bad) also let me include that prior to changing my clutch kit I pretty much ran it out of gas. It use to want start with just the turn of the key. Well I try to start it now and it won't start. It's not the starter it's something to do with fuel or lack of. It has about a quarter tank of gas now so it's in the tank. But it's not getting to the carburetor. For what ever reason because I can pour a little gas into the carburetor and it will crank up but won't stay running once it burns the little gas I put in the carburetor.

Any advice??
KHAOSLOST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 10:19 AM   #2
XoXSciFiGuy

Vehicle: 1997 D21 King Cab XE 2WD, 1998 Pathfinder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHAOSLOST View Post
Hi everyone I'm on here trying to find some answers on fixing my truck. I can't afford to pay someone to fix it so I'm pretty much a do it yourselfer. So if anyone knows what they are talking about and can help me please I could really use some help....

Here is my problem. I burnt up the clutch in my 1996 hardbody and it sat up for about 6 months. I finally got my truck to where I could start work on it. Dropped my tranny changed out the clutch, pressure plate, and throw out berring. Put the transmission back in (also changed my crankshaft position sensor it was bad) also let me include that prior to changing my clutch kit I pretty much ran it out of gas. It use to want start with just the turn of the key. Well I try to start it now and it won't start. It's not the starter it's something to do with fuel or lack of. It has about a quarter tank of gas now so it's in the tank. But it's not getting to the carburetor. For what ever reason because I can pour a little gas into the carburetor and it will crank up but won't stay running once it burns the little gas I put in the carburetor.

Any advice??
If you ran it completely out of gas, the fuel filter might be gonzo. Let me ask a question.

When you turn the key to the ON position, do you hear the two-second 'whirring' noise from the fuel pump? If not, you may have a bad pump. If you DO hear the noise, look first to the fuel filter.

But be careful. That fuel line is under 40-45 pounds of pressure and can spray fuel all over the place if you don't take the proper steps to release the pressure before disconnecting the fuel line from the filter. This is what you do, assuming you are still getting the two-second whirring sound from the fuel pump:

1) This is all done best on a COLD engine. Turn the key to the ON position.

2) After the whirring sound stops, pull the fuse for the fuel pump and set it aside. Turn the ignition key to OFF and remove it.

3) Disconnect your battery completely and move it out of the way.

4) Get a small container ready to catch the fuel. Pull the line going INTO the fuel filter, but pinch it off HARD when doing so.

5) Stuff the hose into the container you have to catch the fuel. Fuel will spray into the container and stop.

6) When the fuel stops flowing, put on a new fuel filter. The outlet hose on the front side will drip, but not much.

7) When your new filter is completely installed and the hoses connected, go ahead and put your battery back in.

8) Put your fuel pump fuse back in.

9) Turn key to the ON position and listen for the fuel pump to do its two-second whirring noise.

10) Try to start the truck.

And WELCOME to Infamous Nissan!

1997 King Cab XE, 5-sp, canopy, AC/PS, KA24E, 125,000 miles. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message. Chilton's for amateurs.

Last edited by XoXSciFiGuy; 07-29-2020 at 01:07 AM.
XoXSciFiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
89'HBV6 (07-28-2020)
Old 07-28-2020, 10:43 AM   #3
KHAOSLOST

Hey thanks for the reply. Ok I ran into another problem so I'm not sure about the fuel pump. I left my key on and killed the battery but I'm getting a charger later today. I have removed the line from the fuel filter it's bone dry. I can blow air through the filter does that mean it's probably not that. Also let's say it's not the fuel pump, fuel pump relay, fuse, or filter. What other things could I check for. Like maybe something with the vaccume lines. Also I disconnected this one wire looking thing off the transmission or we'll somewhere in that area before I ever dropped the transmission and forgot exactly where it goes I just stuck it where I thought it went but later I will take a picture and post to see if maybe you know. I'm just trying to check everything before I drop my tank and all to change the fuel pump if that turns out to be the problem. So any other ideas. Also Isn't there some way to reset the fuel pump or prime it or something
Old 07-28-2020, 01:48 PM   #4
cadillacdude1975
The Gear Jammer

Vehicle: 87 D21 SE KC V6 2wd 5sp & 87 Pathfinder 4x4 SE
Thanked 1,234 Times in 1,131 Posts

Whack the tank with a rubber mallet. Make sure the fuel pump relay is good. Probably gonna need a fuel pump.
cadillacdude1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 01:53 PM   #5
KHAOSLOST

Yeah I hope not. Let me ask this. I took the fuel filter off and sucked on the line that goes to the tank it took a few seconds but I did manage to suck up some gas do you think that could be a good sign. Cause like I said I know I ran it bone dry so it could have just taken a while for the pump to pump the gas that far right??? I'm waiting on battery to charge to find out for sure but could be good right?
Old 07-28-2020, 02:47 PM   #6
Deerhurst
4/86 SE-V6 2 tone 4x4 HB

Vehicle: 1986.5 Hardbody

Let back way up. 1996 D21 with a carb?

I should prime when you turn the key on. You should hear the pump. Yes, if it's dry it could take longer than expected.
VG33i
Deerhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 01:09 AM   #7
XoXSciFiGuy

Charge battery. Make sure tank has gas in it. Turn key to ON. Listen for fuel pump whirring noise. It goes for one or two seconds and then stops. That is normal. Let us know what happens after this test.

1997 King Cab XE, 5-sp, canopy, AC/PS, KA24E, 125,000 miles. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message. Chilton's for amateurs.
Old 07-29-2020, 01:26 AM   #8
KHAOSLOST

Default Nothing

Tried it and I didn't hear the wurring noise. I hear clicking coming from under the hood and a click under the truck between the gas cap and passenger door. Not sure what it means but as far as the fuel pump I got nothing so I guess it's drop the tank and change the pump. Is there anything that would tell the fuel pump not to pump. Like if something wasn't connected right or had a bad connection would it tell the computer to not turn on the pump.... That's probably a stupid question I really don't know much about mechanic work I just know how to change a part. You replace the old with the new. Lol

Last edited by KHAOSLOST; 07-29-2020 at 01:31 AM.
Old 07-29-2020, 01:32 AM   #9
XoXSciFiGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHAOSLOST View Post
Tried it and I didn't hear the wurring noise. I hear clicking coming from under the hood and a click under the truck between the gas cap and passenger door. Not sure what it means but as far as the fuel pump I got nothing so I guess it's drop the tank and change the pump
Hmm. The click under the hood is the fuel pump relay switching on. That's normal.

But you should hear more than a click from the fuel pump area...that's the area you mentioned between the cap and the passenger door. Maybe that other poster back there was right when he said try whacking on the gas tank a few times with a rubber mallet. If you don't have a mallet, use a hammer and a piece of wood maybe.

Could also try another test, but this is much safer with TWO people.

Do the process for relieving the fuel pump pressure.
Disconnect the outlet hose on the fuel filter from the throttle body, or whatever you want to call it. Shove the hose into a safe container, like a one liter pop bottle. Put the fuel pump fuse, etc back in. Have the assistant turn the key and see if any gas goes into the bottle. If no gas, and you know the fuel filter is good, you have a pump problem.

Don't get burned up. Be careful. Fuel pressure is 40 pounds or so. That's more than your tire pressure.

I'm not sure what the deal is on air in the fuel line, whether or not the pump works when there is air in there...like when you run a truck completely out of gas. Someone who has replaced a pump should jump in here.

Old 07-29-2020, 01:35 AM   #10
89'HBV6
Ol'school Geek

Vehicle: 89' D21 KingCab SE V6 5spd 2WD - 87' D21 KingCab SE V6 5spd 2WD

Did you find/check the fuse for the pump? Swap it (temp) with another of the same and see what happens with the pump. Let us know.
89'HBV6 is offline   Reply With Quote