Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Hardbody Forum (D21)

Old 07-01-2014, 01:40 AM   #1
nbarr7655

Vehicle: 1988 Nissan D21 4x2 L4
Default Do I need new rear brake pads?

Hello all. I have noticed that while coming to a stop and am down to something like 5 MPH (in other words, a slow crawl) it feels like my brake power comes in...waves. Like it wants to brake a little better...then not...then better. Almost like it's from the drum itself or something. To add to that, I have noticed a sort of screech that I believe is also coming from the bad brakes. It too only happens at that very slow speed and it only does it a little bit. I haven't looked yet but, could it be that the pads are worn down to nothing?

Thanks all!

Edit: finally checked the back (spinning the tire) and found that the left side spins about two rotations before stopping and the right side can't be free spun at all....

UPDATE:

Got the drum off and took a look. The wear pattern is weird on the pads. At the top, it is real rough. In the middle area of the pad it is a nice smooth, at the bottom it is rough like it is at the top. Looking inside the drum it looks and feels smooth. A neighbor stopped over and was talking to me and swears up and down that the drum is out of round. Could it be? Would this be why I feel my break power increase and decrease in one breaking period?

Last edited by nbarr7655; 08-06-2014 at 01:15 AM.
nbarr7655 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 02:06 AM   #2
Fanophins

Vehicle: 95 Nissan Hardbody SE 4x4 king cab

Yes! Sounds like you need brakes in the front and rear. The screeching sound is the wear indicators on the front pads and if it's fading like that you need to check all the way around. I don't go cheap on brakes because obviously they are very important. Have you noticed you need to add fluid to the master cylinder?
Old 07-01-2014, 02:28 AM   #3
nbarr7655

Have needed to add any fluid, no. Will double check tomorrow just to be sure though. Will also check all pads. Assuming I can get the drum open haha
Old 07-01-2014, 02:48 AM   #4
ahardb0dy
The Post Count Whore

Vehicle: 2017 Nissan Frontier Desert Runner

Jack up the rear of the truck, chock the front wheels, and while in neutral spin each rear tire, there should be a slight drag, if not you can either try adjusting the adjuster or pull the wheel and remove the drum to visually check the rear shoes.

A squeak when stopping doesn't necessarily mean the brake pads (front) are worn down, more in a 4x4 than a 2wd sand or debris can get between the pads and rotors and cause a squeal.

Pull the front wheels off and check the pads, also check the rotors, any visual signs of ridges or grooves and you probably would need rotors, most people won;t bother having the rotors machined as new ones are pretty cheap, unless you get OEM rotors.

Current truck - 2017 Nissan Frontier Desert Runner ,

(formerly owned: 1993 Nissan Hardbody king cab 2wd, 90 Nissan Sentra, 94 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4x4, 05 Nissan Titan, 87 Nissan SE-V6 4x4 king cab, 94 Infiniti Q45t & 80 Datsun 310GX )
ahardb0dy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 02:51 AM   #5
Shady

Vehicle: 95 nissan hardbody

if the drum is stuck on there find a 12mm bolt head. Im not sure on thread pitch I just pulled one off and there are threaded holes in the drum you can screw the bolt in and will pop it off for you. just a little helper when they get rusty
Shady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 11:35 AM   #6
jp2code
Software Developer

Vehicle: 94 LB 2x4 Manual VG33e
Thanked 1,364 Times in 1,201 Posts

Squealing brake pads can tear up your rotors and drums very fast, resulting in very expensive brake job.

Replacing pads only might be $200. Replacing the rotors and drums at the same time can run you $800 and up because of all the extra labor. That extra money is what you spend for putting it off.
1994 VG30E to VG33E with H256 Cams

jp2code is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 04:57 PM   #7
Fanophins

Vehicle: 95 Nissan Hardbody SE 4x4 king cab

Usually if you think you need brakes you do. I just did mine about 8 months ago and I replaced everything front and rear,then a couple weeks ago I noticed my truck was rolling backwards with the parking brake on. So I pulled the drivers side drum off and it didn't want to play nice for me but once I got it off the wheel cylinder took a shit and it was a nasty mess. So even if your brakes aren't that old parts go bad. I like EBC pads on the front http://www.summitracing.com/parts/eb...ssan/model/d21 but I don't know if your doing it yourself.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:55 PM   #8
97_hardbody
Project Hardbody GT

Vehicle: 1997 Hardbody

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbarr7655 View Post
Hello all. I have noticed that while coming to a stop and am down to something like 5 MPH (in other words, a slow crawl) it feels like my brake power comes in...waves. Like it wants to brake a little better...then not...then better.
That sounds like warped rotors. High spots grab and low spots release. Do you have any pulse in your pedal when you are breaking kinda hard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyderdai View Post
Wheel gap is like a vagina, the more fingers you can get in there the worse off you are.
97_hardbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 01:11 AM   #9
nbarr7655

I have not noticed any pulses. Going out right now to at least check the front pads and will probably take a look at the back brakes tomorrow.
Old 07-02-2014, 11:06 PM   #10
nbarr7655

Here is a shot of the rotor...