Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Hardbody Forum (D21)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2020, 10:53 PM   #31
jp2code
Software Developer
 
jp2code's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Longview, TX [USA]
Age: 51
Posts: 9,983
Vehicle: 94 LB 2x4 Manual VG33e
Thanks: 1,589
Thanked 1,364 Times in 1,201 Posts
Default

Distributors are hard to troubleshoot because they make the engine run strange. Glad you found it.
__________________
Joe (not a mechanic!) Don't have an account? EMAIL ME
Factory Service Manuals: https://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/Hardbody/
Walk-through: Checking Nissan Trouble Codes
1994 VG30E to VG33E with H256 Cams

jp2code is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 12:07 AM   #32
Deerhurst
4/86 SE-V6 2 tone 4x4 HB
 
Deerhurst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Oregon
Posts: 6,915
Vehicle: 1986.5 Hardbody
Thanks: 870
Thanked 789 Times in 721 Posts
Default

Bet it was that wave plate! Good work!
__________________
1986.5 SE-V6 4X4 D21 Hardbody
Pacesetter Long Tube Headers
Morimoto Mini D2S HID Projectors and Hella 500s
VG33i
Deerhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 03:15 PM   #33
travisg96
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: OR
Posts: 36
Vehicle: 1986 D21 Long Bed HD
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

So it stopped working again. What can make distributor suddenly fail
travisg96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 05:47 PM   #34
jp2code
Software Developer
 
jp2code's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Longview, TX [USA]
Age: 51
Posts: 9,983
Vehicle: 94 LB 2x4 Manual VG33e
Thanks: 1,589
Thanked 1,364 Times in 1,201 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisg96 View Post
So it stopped working again. What can make distributor suddenly fail
Is there a power wire that goes to it? I don't have a service manual with me at the moment.
__________________
Joe (not a mechanic!) Don't have an account? EMAIL ME
Factory Service Manuals: https://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/Hardbody/
Walk-through: Checking Nissan Trouble Codes
1994 VG30E to VG33E with H256 Cams

jp2code is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 01:31 AM   #35
travisg96
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: OR
Posts: 36
Vehicle: 1986 D21 Long Bed HD
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

There is 12v power to the Black wire with white stripe and a ground to the black wire. The other two have a 5v signal. everywhere seems to be getting power where is the problem. I checked the capacitor to the black red spot wire and it appears good also
travisg96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 08:19 PM   #36
travisg96
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: OR
Posts: 36
Vehicle: 1986 D21 Long Bed HD
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

So the fuel pump vibrates whem it is running when the ignition is turned on, should it stay running like that when the engine is being turned over?
travisg96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 06:06 PM   #37
jp2code
Software Developer
 
jp2code's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Longview, TX [USA]
Age: 51
Posts: 9,983
Vehicle: 94 LB 2x4 Manual VG33e
Thanks: 1,589
Thanked 1,364 Times in 1,201 Posts
Default

I've got a 1986 Midyear Service Manual. In the EL section, there is an IGNITION SYSTEM Trouble-Shooting procedure that starts on EL-43, starting with the spark plugs and wires. The Test Table on EL-44 shows how to test the distributor cap resistance between the electrode to the ignition coil and spart plug side electrodes, saying it is supposed to be more than 50 Mega Ohms, the Ignition Coil Primary is 1 Ohm, the Ignition Coil Secondary is 7.6 - 11.4 Kilo Ohms (page EL-47).

The distributor plugs into a Harness Assembly. I'd check to make sure that harness is plugged in securely.

I was going to grab some screenshots using the 1989 Service Manual PDF, but that service manual doesn't even have the distributor in it that I can find.

Was any of that helpful? I had 2 phone calls come in while I was trying to write that up, so my information might be hard to follow. I want to post it thought because I haven't eaten in a while and I really need to go pee. If I don't post it now, something else is going to come up.
__________________
Joe (not a mechanic!) Don't have an account? EMAIL ME
Factory Service Manuals: https://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/Hardbody/
Walk-through: Checking Nissan Trouble Codes
1994 VG30E to VG33E with H256 Cams


Last edited by jp2code; 09-21-2020 at 08:24 PM.
jp2code is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 07:52 PM   #38
Deerhurst
4/86 SE-V6 2 tone 4x4 HB
 
Deerhurst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Oregon
Posts: 6,915
Vehicle: 1986.5 Hardbody
Thanks: 870
Thanked 789 Times in 721 Posts
Default

I believe the dizzy only has one wire that plugs into it. At least mine does.
__________________
1986.5 SE-V6 4X4 D21 Hardbody
Pacesetter Long Tube Headers
Morimoto Mini D2S HID Projectors and Hella 500s
VG33i
Deerhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 01:59 AM   #39
travisg96
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: OR
Posts: 36
Vehicle: 1986 D21 Long Bed HD
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp2code View Post
I've got a 1986 Midyear Service Manual. In the EL section, there is an IGNITION SYSTEM Trouble-Shooting procedure that starts on EL-43, starting with the spark plugs and wires. The Test Table on EL-44 shows how to test the distributor cap resistance between the electrode to the ignition coil and spart plug side electrodes, saying it is supposed to be more than 50 Mega Ohms, the Ignition Coil Primary is 1 Ohm, the Ignition Coil Secondary is 7.6 - 11.4 Kilo Ohms (page EL-47).

The distributor plugs into a Harness Assembly. I'd check to make sure that harness is plugged in securely.

I was going to grab some screenshots using the 1989 Service Manual PDF, but that service manual doesn't even have the distributor in it that I can find.

Was any of that helpful? I had 2 phone calls come in while I was trying to write that up, so my information might be hard to follow. I want to post it thought because I haven't eaten in a while and I really need to go pee. If I don't post it now, something else is going to come up.
Looked also in the 89 PDF and the distributor is not even there. Wonder if it is a different distributor. Could you scan and post those pages?
travisg96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 02:02 AM   #40
travisg96
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: OR
Posts: 36
Vehicle: 1986 D21 Long Bed HD
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerhurst View Post
I believe the dizzy only has one wire that plugs into it. At least mine does.
The dizy has one wire that connects to the side terminal but also has a 4 pin plug that comes out of the bottom of the distributor.
travisg96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.