Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Hardbody Forum (D21)

Old 07-06-2014, 01:24 AM   #1
Outlawjoseywales

Vehicle: 1997 nissan d21 hardbody
Default O2 sensor nut

No I'm not talking about myself here.
I basted my upstream O2 sensor for days, with help from here I went and got a good deep socket to remove it. Pulled it out today with no trouble and as has been usual with this baby, I said, "wow that wasn't hard." I spoke too soon.

I pulled it off and tried the new one and the new threads were way too small. I went down to Autozone and they couldn't figure it out either.
One guy said it looked like some kind of adapter was on it after looking at the old one for about 30 minutes.

Now, all y'all already know this, but I didn't. I came home, looked it up and wow, there is a O2 sensor nut, yes my friends there is. And it's huge and it's got my old O2 sensor all snuggled up tight. It was the nut that came out along with the O2 upstream sensor.

Nothing was stripped at all, just one huge nut around that sensor.

So, I popped it in a vice and started the PB Blaster routine again.
I'm going to try turning it tomorrow.

Any advice from any of y'all would be great.
Old 07-06-2014, 01:53 AM   #2
alabama_lowlife
Owner and Administrator

Vehicle: 2012 370Z, 1970 Datsun 521, 1995 Nissan Hardbody x2
Thanked 2,003 Times in 1,649 Posts

O2 sensors are best left to exhaust shops. They are like women. Oh they look easy, but that's all BS! You try to do it yourself and it ends up costing you an arm and a leg. They're deceptive and can't be trusted. I've had o2 sensors kick my butt on several occasions. Twice I had to take the vehicle or a piece of the exhaust to the exhaust shop to get it fixed anyway. Threads inside the bung got stripped out. I recommend you cut the old oxygen sensor off so that you can get a regular socket on it. And try to get it out that way.
Old 07-06-2014, 03:45 AM   #3
Outlawjoseywales

Thanks for the advice, you certainly know about a million X's more about these trucks than I do.

This is for the upstream one.

I did as you said, "I cut the end off,( now THAT was hard and I got my arm all cut up from it, ended up having to hacksaw the body of the sensor off) But, I cut off the end, got a big deep socket today and it pulled right out fairly easy since I'd basted it with Blaster for days. However, that Sensor nut, that nobody told me about, came along with it. Threads were intact so nothing as messed up on the engine.

It IS possible that those who owned this truck before had attempted to remove this sensor and had loosened that O2 sensor nut. It looked like the original. I've got 134,000+ on the truck. Could this be the original one?

Funny thing I accidentally said at Autozone when the guy asked me if I had a vice to put it in, "Oh yes I've got a vice." He looked at me oddly and I said, "We've all got a vice don't we."

You had to be there, but it was funny then.

Seems now my only "vice" I've got now is trying to get this Hardbody up and running. (the truck that is)

So, we'll see tomorrow. I'll post the report from my "vice."
Old 07-06-2014, 09:19 AM   #4
Midnight Tech
Technical Admin

Location: Back in SC again...in the back of a REAL parts store...
Vehicle: 1986.5 D21 Hardbody 2WD

Mine did the same thing despite using antiseize when I installed the replacement.

Out of Round Tuits....
Midnight Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 11:41 AM   #5
cadillacdude1975
The Gear Jammer

Vehicle: 87 D21 SE KC V6 2wd 5sp & 87 Pathfinder 4x4 SE
Thanked 1,216 Times in 1,118 Posts

some of them can be a complete PITA to change.
cadillacdude1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 06:14 PM   #6
Tally HB
The Old Guy

Vehicle: 1989 D21 Base 2WD 2.4L

Are you saying that the O2 bung, that was factory installed with the exhaust, broke off the pipe or that there is a second set of threads like an adapter that was threaded into the factory threads?

Sometimes exhaust shops install an adapter that places the sensor farther out of the exhaust stream to change the reading.

If this is a true adapter then somehow the wrong sensor was installed that required an adapter.
Old 07-07-2014, 01:39 AM   #7
Outlawjoseywales

Tally, nothing broke off or messed up. At 1st, when I finally got the O2 sensor to come off the motor, I thought it was just a large version of my sensor, but then thought it was some type of adapter. It was neither.

I don't think this was any kind of aftermarket thing or something done to move the sensor out or anything. The reason, is that I found this "nut" online after I got back from Autozone and seems to be a common part.

It came out with the upstream O2 sensor, it has to be original equipment. The threads for the new O2 sensor were way too small for the hole and that's when I knew something was wrong. It had been in there a LONG time, the O2 sensor was in really bad shape too.

This afternoon, once I got the O2 sensor out of this "adapter" Nut thingy, was exactly the size of the new one and went right into it.

So, whatever is going on here, either I've got something different than everybody else, or you've got one in there and you don't know it. I could even have an older model or something. Would be great to find out.

Here's the part, it's from an older truck, but I just googled this quickly and put it on here.

http://www.carid.com/1991-nissan-har...m-8796724.html

Nothing was harmed or messed up.

After letting it sit all day in PB Blaster, I threw it in a vice and cranked that "adapter" right off. I threaded the new O2 sensor back onto the O2 Sensor Nut and screwed it back in the engine. Took about 2 minutes.

I know this is a -97 because the sticker on the door says so and it's fuel injected.
Please let me know what's going on if you can figure it out.
Thanks OJW
Old 07-07-2014, 01:48 AM   #8
alabama_lowlife
Owner and Administrator

Vehicle: 2012 370Z, 1970 Datsun 521, 1995 Nissan Hardbody x2
Thanked 2,003 Times in 1,649 Posts

My 97 has one too. They come like that.
Old 07-07-2014, 02:27 AM   #9
roy

Vehicle: 91 d21

had to take exhaust manifold off to get mine out on a 91 hb .they are called bungs and i got one out of a 91 sentra or something.
the exhaust shop said they new ones though for in the future you can just get anew one and not have to worry about busting the two pieces apart.
roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 02:35 AM   #10
ahardb0dy
The Post Count Whore

Vehicle: 2017 Nissan Frontier Desert Runner

my former 90 sentra had that nut too, sometimes it came out with the O2 sensor, other times it didn't.

Current truck - 2017 Nissan Frontier Desert Runner ,

(formerly owned: 1993 Nissan Hardbody king cab 2wd, 90 Nissan Sentra, 94 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4x4, 05 Nissan Titan, 87 Nissan SE-V6 4x4 king cab, 94 Infiniti Q45t & 80 Datsun 310GX )
ahardb0dy is offline   Reply With Quote