Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Hardbody Forum (D21)

Old 07-04-2014, 10:59 PM   #21
jp2code
Software Developer

Vehicle: 94 LB 2x4 Manual VG33e
Thanked 1,372 Times in 1,208 Posts

Oh, I got ya.

That sounds like you need new rear brakes, then. Brake shoes should spin about the same as the front disk brakes (spin a little, but come to a stop).

It sounds like one side is grabbing too much, and the other side isn't grabbing at all.
1994 VG30E to VG33E with H256 Cams

jp2code is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 11:46 PM   #22
nbarr7655

Vehicle: 1988 Nissan D21 4x2 L4

So just a set of new pads on each side?

And if so, looking at the drum it looks like I need some tool to twist the center piece to open it up...is that so?
nbarr7655 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 12:47 AM   #23
jp2code
Software Developer

Vehicle: 94 LB 2x4 Manual VG33e
Thanked 1,372 Times in 1,208 Posts

Usually, the brake shoes will wear away at the drums, creating a "lip" that makes it hard to get the drums back off of the shoes.

Drums, like the rotors, should be turned when doing a brake job. If the drums are not worn badly, not much material will be removed.

It's been a long time since I've done a set of brake drum pads. Use to, there was a "window" that you could fit a screwdriver inside to "back off" the pads on the drums. I don't know if vehicles still have that or not.

Here's a video that shows how to do remove drums using two (2) 8x1.25 bolts:

If your drums don't have holes to push out stuck brakes, this guy's video shows how to fix the "lip" problems:

That video should cover the most extreme cases.

Notice that guy started during the day, but finished at night using lights.

Start early.

Get the brake drums off, then immediately take them to the auto parts store to be turned, while you purchase your brake shoes.

Go home, clean the brake piston, put on the new shoes, etc., then go get your turned drums.

If you are allowed a core exchange on the brake shoes, take those back with you at that time.

That's 2 trips to the auto parts store, but it beats sitting there for an hour or 2 waiting for them to get it done.
1994 VG30E to VG33E with H256 Cams

jp2code is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 03:46 AM   #24
cadillacdude1975
The Gear Jammer

Vehicle: 87 D21 SE KC V6 2wd 5sp & 87 Pathfinder 4x4 SE
Thanked 1,217 Times in 1,119 Posts

whacking the drum with a ball peen hammer while turning it has always freed stubborn ones really well for me in the past.
cadillacdude1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 07:37 AM   #25
Tally HB
The Old Guy

Vehicle: 1989 D21 Base 2WD 2.4L

If you have to ask this many questions about brakes you need to take it somewhere and let it be completely checked by a good shop. It sounds as if you very likely have a serious problem such as a seized caliper and maybe worse. If rotors have been seriously heated they may be cracked or can crack later even with new pads installed. This is dangerous. Have it checked.

If you do not know how to do brakes then you should let someone do them who does know. Bad brake work will get you and your passenger killed.
Old 07-05-2014, 10:54 AM   #26
cadillacdude1975
The Gear Jammer

Vehicle: 87 D21 SE KC V6 2wd 5sp & 87 Pathfinder 4x4 SE
Thanked 1,217 Times in 1,119 Posts

i tell everyone i know about that very thing. they ask me all the time to do brakes for them and i decline. the liability is just too great. i mean almost anyone can change a set of brake pads, but if your unsure of what you are doing, the end result can be catastrophic.

all i know is since i went to ceramic pads on the front and did a complete rebuild on the rear brakes is mine will throw momma from the train LOL
cadillacdude1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 03:14 PM   #27
nbarr7655

Well I planned on just changing the front stuff and since I have never delt with drums myself I figured I would just open it and look, not adjust anything, and then get them into them shop.
Old 07-13-2014, 11:34 AM   #28
Fanophins

Vehicle: 95 Nissan Hardbody SE 4x4 king cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tally HB View Post
If you have to ask this many questions about brakes you need to take it somewhere and let it be completely checked by a good shop. It sounds as if you very likely have a serious problem such as a seized caliper and maybe worse. If rotors have been seriously heated they may be cracked or can crack later even with new pads installed. This is dangerous. Have it checked.

If you do not know how to do brakes then you should let someone do them who does know. Bad brake work will get you and your passenger killed.
I agree with Tally you need to have your brakes totally serviced. If it's not done right your just going to have a half assed job. It will probably pull to one side badly and you need all four brake to work correctly. I don't know how long you've owned your truck but have you ever done brake work on it?
Old 07-13-2014, 08:37 PM   #29
nbarr7655

I have done some brake work with disk brakes, just not drums. As for this truck, I have owned it for about a month so no I have not done any brake work. The owner before me though did have the brakes worked on a few years ago. The problem is though, towards the end of his life he was in poor health so I believe the truck sat for a period of time and may have caused what I am describing. Think so?
Old 07-16-2014, 02:37 AM   #30
Fanophins

Vehicle: 95 Nissan Hardbody SE 4x4 king cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbarr7655 View Post
I have done some brake work with disk brakes, just not drums. As for this truck, I have owned it for about a month so no I have not done any brake work. The owner before me though did have the brakes worked on a few years ago. The problem is though, towards the end of his life he was in poor health so I believe the truck sat for a period of time and may have caused what I am describing. Think so?
Yes brakes like anything else on a vehicle need to be moving all the time. If the truck sits for a while all the seals will get brittle and fail so yes you should have the brakes done all the way around.