Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Tech Area > Wiring and Electrical

Old 02-17-2020, 03:23 AM   #1
Scrapingpavement

Vehicle: Bagged 1986.5 nissan hardbody KC and a 1964 f100 custom cab
Default Z24i Quest Alternator Upgrade

I was getting bad headlight dim and even had the truck shut off at one point from power draw when i had heat on full blast and comps running. After a little research the z24i motors typically only come with a 50 amp alt, and thats not going to cut it with 2 comps that pull nearly 40amps, and a small stereo system and i mean small only 500 watts. Found 2 company's that made high output replacements but each had horrible reviews, and i contacted 2 big alt company's and one said the truck was too old the other said they only have universal. Which i didn't really want to deal with making all new brackets and harness. I did a bunch of reading on the modified quest alternators, but honestly only seen posts on the ka and vg engines nothing for the old azz z24i. So decided to pull the trigger and see what it would take to put a 1999 new quest alternator in, most use the mid 90s alts but i didn't like how the alt was clocked for the tabs and the 99 had more output without breaking the bank. Cost me just over $100 for a new quest alt on amazon which is a 125amp alt. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So heres everything that i had to do to get it in and working, fyi i also did the big 3 upgrade with a 4g wire kit i felt the 0g was overkill for my system.

Here are the alts compared

First thing to do was swap pullys, everything was same thread size but in order to get the pulley all the way on had to shave the front case flat, super easy.

I did have to make a spacer to sit on the bearing so the pulley had something to sit up against.

Had to modify the back side of the pulley where there was a lip, so sanded that down close to flat to not rub on case.

After that i kept making comparisons to see what needed to be done, the cool think was the 2 lower tabs are exactly the same width as stock so didnt need/want to shave those. But the quest alt holes were a bit smaller so drilled them out to fit m10 bolts.

A quick test fit and it fits good but the quest tabs are alot thicker so longer bolts were needed, got 2" long m10-1.5 bolts and cut them down to my preferred fit.

With that all done and said i could bolt the bottom up and check alignment, was perfectly aligned with the pulley! But the top tab was no where near the original top bracket... so thought about bunch of different things to do and ended up going super simple. pulled the top bracket off ( that was a bitch in itself because theres one long bolt that goes though the front into the block so had to remove fan to pull bolt all the way out )
looked at how universal small blocks are made with a turnbuckle and some small heim joints but didn't want to wait for parts so decided to make a super simple bracket that bolts the the bottom side of the power steering pump.

Fit perfect and once tight that bitch wont move a muscle so thats great! Unfortunate part was the belt i was running prior wasn't long enough, so replaced the 36.5" belt with a 37.5" belt and we are in business!

At this point it was time to run big 3 wires and plug factory wires in, same nissan plug, ground wire used same threads and bolt, the oem power wire the eyelet was too small to fit around the bigger quest stud so carefully enlarged the connection.

Got it all in and started the truck, and we have charging voltage! I will note it is a little on the high side at 14.6 volts so im thinking the battery's a bit discharged and just needs to sit on a tender but heres some numbers i took before and after with various things running. While music is bumping i get no more light dim, and it was bad before.

Before: Idle voltage 14.27 After: Idle voltage 14.6

Before: Comps running 13.97 After: Comps running 14.55

Before: Comps and heat full 13.85 and continued to drop..

After: Comps and heat full 14.52 and maintaining!!
Old 02-17-2020, 05:05 AM   #2
FlintJunkie

Vehicle: '89 D21

This is a good write up.. thanks..

Does the plug match the truck of the new Alt?

Does your refit use the existing alt bolt??(ie. the drilling is to fit that??)
FlintJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 04:44 AM   #3
Scrapingpavement

Vehicle: Bagged 1986.5 nissan hardbody KC and a 1964 f100 custom cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlintJunkie View Post
This is a good write up.. thanks..

Does the plug match the truck of the new Alt?

Does your refit use the existing alt bolt??(ie. the drilling is to fit that??)
The plugs are the same so no need to change that, I did reuse the top bolt but the bottom 2 bolts needed to be longer so bought 2 new ones.