Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Tech Area > Wiring and Electrical

Old 05-12-2020, 07:55 PM   #1
FlintJunkie

Vehicle: '89 D21
Default Canopy 3rd brake light wiring.

I bought a new brake light bar, wanted to replace the old one on the canopy with a LED version, it had some melted spots from bulbs and I dont think it properly work anyway and not wired up.. either way, a new one it is...
Over all I pretty much know how to getter done, but Whats/where the best place to tap into to get a brake/run light signal for a 3rd brake light?...

Im pretty sure I dont have a trailer harness attached, to tap that rout...
FlintJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 01:32 AM   #2
alabama_lowlife
Owner and Administrator

Vehicle: 2012 370Z, 1970 Datsun 521, 1995 Nissan Hardbody x2
Thanked 1,969 Times in 1,620 Posts

I’d tap in under the back of the bed.
Old 05-13-2020, 03:26 AM   #3
FlintJunkie

Ok cool, what part into?? The bed half or into the truck?

And what method is best??
Old 05-13-2020, 10:06 AM   #4
alabama_lowlife
Owner and Administrator

Vehicle: 2012 370Z, 1970 Datsun 521, 1995 Nissan Hardbody x2
Thanked 1,969 Times in 1,620 Posts

I would splice into it on the tail light side of the harness. With the logic being that if something ever goes wrong it is easy to just replace the wiring from the disconnect to the tails. The longer main harness remains untouched. Best method is to solder the connection and seal it up with heat shrink. If you have to use crimp splices like a butt connector it has to be sealed with heat shrink or it will corrode.
Old 05-15-2020, 06:10 AM   #5
FlintJunkie

I ended up splicing into the tail light of the driver side, tapped into and soldered leads for the stop and running light, also ran another ground from bed to chassis to make a better connection(the exsisting one was destroyed)...
Made up a harness for the light and ran it along the inside frame. Used some zip ties with securing eye's attached to them, screwed into the frame a few places.

Used a trailer harness plug, so as to have a disconnect for the cap should I remove it.

When I tapped into the wires, I used those fancier wire strippers, and put a break into the insulation and exposed it for the splice. I havent had any proper solder flux for some while now... Been meaning to get some more, so a little while ago I collected some pine pitch from the park down the way, they have a few trees with bleed spots where it dripps on the ground. Rendered down with some alcohol to thin it and clear it from the dirt and bark remnants, filtered in a coffee filter and let settle and evaporate the alcohol.
Worked out better than I expected. Smelled much better too. Pretty impressed with my home brew flux... essentially that is what the comercial stuff is basically made of...

Much brighter now. Better to see and looks pretty good...
I will get the pics up soon...
Thanked by:
alabama_lowlife (05-15-2020)
Old 05-15-2020, 04:06 PM   #6
FlintJunkie

I went and tested the light last night... Really nice and bright... I didnt get a shot of the old one before I tossed it, but it was half the size with the bulbs.

Also, this light a solid sealed LED bar. Totall encapsulated which is pretty good, should last a long while. I gave a bead of silicone to seal against moisture ingress, since there wasnt a gasket or foam backing to it..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg light.jpg (70.7 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg flux.jpg (96.7 KB, 35 views)