Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Tech Area > Wiring and Electrical

Old 03-31-2020, 03:57 PM   #1
Goose

Vehicle: 96 Nissan Hardbody
Talking Interesting wiring Issue

Good Morning,

I am new to forum, but have been looking through threads to find a solution to my problem. Unfortunately it seems no one else’s has an ornery dog like mine. Long story short, my dog chewed and ripped the wiring harness along the transmission. Literally just dangling wires. From what I have researched he has chewed the speedo sensor wires, neutral safety, clutch position and reverse lights. It is a testament to this truck as it runs down the road with no issues despite the mauling.

I have been looking for a harness I can splice in at the fire wall, to hook all the sensors back up, but in all honesty this is our farm truck, and in only “NEED” the speedo to work although reverse lights would be nice.

I was hoping you may be able to direct me to a place to get the harness or at a minimum let me know what color the speedo wires are coming from the firewall so I can splice in.

1996 Nissan Hardbody 4x4 Base Model 4 Banger

Any help appreciated!
Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 11:11 PM   #2
ahardb0dy
The Post Count Whore

Vehicle: 2017 Nissan Frontier Desert Runner

Welcome to Infamous, best bet to get what you need would be to find a truck in a junkyard and pull what you need.

You can download the factory service manual from link below (free) and it will tell you the colors of the wires you are looking for, check page EL-69, it shows the wire colors going to the speed sensor

https://www.nicoclub.com/service-man...20Truck/el.pdf

also did the dog chew the wires right off the speed sensor? if not than you should be able to see the wires and the colors, find them on the other end of the harness and reconnect the wires.

Current truck - 2017 Nissan Frontier Desert Runner ,

(formerly owned: 1993 Nissan Hardbody king cab 2wd, 90 Nissan Sentra, 94 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4x4, 05 Nissan Titan, 87 Nissan SE-V6 4x4 king cab, 94 Infiniti Q45t & 80 Datsun 310GX )
ahardb0dy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 11:20 PM   #3
nunya

Vehicle: nissan d21 93 kingcab red

What are you gonna do about the dog?
nunya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 12:22 AM   #4
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

Vehicle: '90 D21 4cyl 5spd 2wd

The speedo sensor is a two-wire sensor on these. What I've noticed on these trucks is that typically the red wire is the reference voltage and the white wire is the signal back to the ECU. As long as your dog didn't chew the connectors or mess the pins up this is totally salvageable.
SBJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 12:58 AM   #5
Goose

Thanks for the quick responses gents!

The wires on the speedo senor ar indeed intact. The issue is there are 2 green wires coming off of the sensor (I believe it is the furthest back, off the top of my head, coming off the transfer case or end of tranny). In the mess of wires coming down from the fire wall there are no green wires. My guess is the speedo to connector was green and connector up was a different color.

I’ll see if I can splice in some wire to the red and white, and see if that gets it. Like mentioned, it would probably be best to go to junk yard and pull a harness.

Thanks guys!

And I probably should do something with the dog...... he has also chewed my taillight wires off my 05 Dodge 3500 more times than I’d like to admit (7) so I have gotten pretty good at the ol splice game. Anyone in the market for a gently used Redbone Coonhound!?
Old 04-01-2020, 01:02 AM   #6
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

Vehicle: '90 D21 4cyl 5spd 2wd

Is your dog a mouse by chance?

Before you start splicing things I'd look at the wiring diagrams in the FSM and make absolutely sure you're connecting the right wires. The backup light switch will be on the passenger side of the transmission, closer to the bellhousing. There is also a neutral switch that is just below where the gear shifter goes into the transmission housing. There's probably another one on the transfer case for the 4WD indicator light but I wouldn't know, I'm 2WD.
SBJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 09:20 AM   #7
nunya

Vehicle: nissan d21 93 kingcab red

I would suggest giving the hound more time to hunt. I had a Beagle years ago that was always in trouble til I realized his needs were not being met. I made it a ritual to take him into the woods every Sunday. The destruction, howling and digging ceased like magic. I wish I had this kind of wisdom while I was raising teenagers.
nunya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 11:47 PM   #8
Goose

Thumbs up

I got it spliced and working!

SBJ you were bang on, solid red and solid white are indeed the speedo wires.

Ahardbody thanks for the wiring diagrams, very helpful.

Thanks for all the help!
Thanked by:
ahardb0dy (04-04-2020), SBJ (04-04-2020)