Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Hardbody Forum (D21)

Old 06-13-2021, 12:28 AM   #23101
XoXSciFiGuy

Vehicle: 2009 Xterra, 1997 D21 King Cab XE (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockcrawls View Post
Thanks for all the great info. So with the engine cold, the oil level is exactly half, in range. This means I didn't lose any oil or very little oil in the past 1500 miles. The coolent level is also perfect and haven't been losing any water.

I took a paper towel and rubbed it inside the exhaust pipe. There was some black that came off but very little. I had to rub it pretty hard to even get that. I put this new muffler on 10 months ago. That's one reason I notice any little smoke or condensate coming out of the tip now in my side view mirror.

I did idle and run the truck at low speeds for quite a while before that happened. Maybe it was "loading up".

Another interesting thing. When I first installed the muffler from the cat back, the emissions light finally went out on my dash. It slowly returned over the next couple weeks and stayed on. Then one day I started up the truck and a whole bunch of water came out where the muffler attaches to the cat. (I couldn't get a perfect seal at that joint when installing.) After the water came out, the emissions light went out for the next few days. It's back on now though. The cat is in bad shape. I almost replaced it when I did the muffler.
Haven't had that problem myself, but it sounds likely all right. Sometimes you can tell a bad cat from the sound of pebbles or another rattle coming from the cat. Or sometimes it makes no noise at all.

On the oil stick...why do you keep the oil level low? Is that what you were saying, that it isn't to the Full mark? On the cat thing...I guess you could delete it if you live in a state where there are no emissions tests. Or sometimes they exempt your vehicle if it is over a certain age. Here in WA state, they ditched testing in January 2020 I think. Maybe it was January this year. I wonder how many folks have already removed their cat converters already. LOL.

The people who aren't removing them are probably getting them stolen anyway. There has been a real rash of cat converter thefts here lately. One guy down in Portland, just last week....owner of the car came out to go to work and found a guy dead under his car. He was trying to steal the guy's cat, and the cheap jack he used collapsed on him. They said he wasn't crushed to death. He just couldn't breathe due to severe chest compression. So...he suffocated and that probably took a few minutes. My opinion is that this gave him enough time to regret his stupidity before he died.

2009 Xterra, 4.0 liter, automatic, 4WD. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message. Chilton's for amateurs.

Last edited by XoXSciFiGuy; 06-13-2021 at 12:35 AM.
XoXSciFiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 01:08 AM   #23102
rockcrawls

Vehicle: 1991 D21 4wd 4cyl, Case 580D backhoe loader

I'll keep the cat because it makes no difference to me and I'd rather be better for the environment. I think it's forming holes in it though if not already, and especially now that the muffler is back on. I need to crawl back under there and tighten up the muffler connection. I had to find and use my own bolts on it.

What I was trying to say about the oil level is it's halfway between low and high. It's in the middle of the good range on the dip stick. It's near the low end when the engine is hot, and middle when cold. It probably burned a little since the last change 1500 miles ago. I don't remember exactly how full I made it at the last change.

I've been feeling really lazy lately. I need to do an oil change on my backhoe too. I have everything I need for oil changes on both vehicles.
rockcrawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 02:48 AM   #23103
Deerhurst
4/86 SE-V6 2 tone 4x4 HB

Vehicle: 1986.5 SE-V6 4WD D21, 2003 Audi A4 Avant 3.0 Quattro
Thanked 1,047 Times in 946 Posts

If the cat isn't working/plugged it's going to inhibit performance and possibly be worse for the environment requiring you to use even more fuel to get the same performance.

Your oil level.ia fine. If you check it right after shutting down the truck it all hasn't drained from the top end yet.
VG33i
Deerhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 02:55 AM   #23104
rockcrawls

Vehicle: 1991 D21 4wd 4cyl, Case 580D backhoe loader

I have a log book in my truck where I keep track of my fuel mileage on every fill up. That helps me know if something is out of wack. Fuel consumption has been steady for years. I don't calculate the mileage as often though the past few years because I fill up gas cans in a nearby town where gas is over $1/g cheaper, thereby not having a true fill up to calculate and not writing down exactly how much gas I put in the containers.
rockcrawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 03:49 AM   #23105
PorknBeans

Vehicle: 1997 XE King Cab with 3 pedals, Y’all

Received the new EGR black solenoid to replace the solenoid that failed a simple energized test(I'm still suspicious that this OEM solenoid still works. Even though I tested it with truck battery power and two alligator test leads with a piece of cardboard placed between the two terminals). So I got one from Rock Auto and installed it yesterday. I haven't tested it out yet under driving conditions. But I will tomorrow. I've noticed the MIL turns on for the P1447 code around very 43 miles with the OEM solenoid. So if this solenoid isn't the fix. I'll pull the bed and check the hoses, clamps, 'Y' connector and green housing solenoid for the charcoal canister etc. Much easier to access all of this hardware and get a way better inspection with the bed off since access is much better with the bed off.
Old 06-13-2021, 06:31 PM   #23106
XoXSciFiGuy

Vehicle: 2009 Xterra, 1997 D21 King Cab XE (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockcrawls View Post
I have a log book in my truck where I keep track of my fuel mileage on every fill up. That helps me know if something is out of wack. Fuel consumption has been steady for years. I don't calculate the mileage as often though the past few years because I fill up gas cans in a nearby town where gas is over $1/g cheaper, thereby not having a true fill up to calculate and not writing down exactly how much gas I put in the containers.
I've done several gas mileage tests on the Teal Terror. It always comes out the same:

City: 22.5 MPG
Highway: 27-30 MPG depending on conditions. (Flat or hilly, cruising at 55-60 or 65-68. Heavy load, no load.)
Combined: 25.5 MPG This is almost always the number that comes up.

This truck gets a lot of maintenance though, and I drive it like grandma most of the time. All the mileages shown above drop about 2 MPG when running the AC.

I run Chevron Supreme almost exclusively, or when I build up Fred Meyer Fuel Rewards, I will fill up there with supreme. The only thing supreme gas really does is give you a tiny bit more hill-climbing power, but not that much.

I've set a date for doing the Full Monty chain job on the truck, and yes...I'm going with the Mr Jim tensioner. Will do this in September after it cools down a bit. Only a tiny bit of chain rattle going, and only on SOME startups. But I know the chain is original and I want to try the Mr Jim method anyway. I figure this will be the first and last time the front cover comes off, so I'm using Permatex Aviation sealer on this job. Hitachi oil pump, Aisin water pump.

And although the valve cover I have now is just fine, I decided to install the one sent to me free by that guy in Florida. ('Nunya') I know he got banned, but the valve cover is nice anyway.

Teal...one of the worst colors for a Nissan truck. You can get away with it in Seattle only because the MLB team has the same colors. (Seattle Mariners) Still kind of a homely color though.

2009 Xterra, 4.0 liter, automatic, 4WD. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message. Chilton's for amateurs.

Last edited by XoXSciFiGuy; 06-13-2021 at 06:44 PM.
XoXSciFiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
89'HBV6 (06-13-2021)
Old 06-13-2021, 11:08 PM   #23107
PorknBeans

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorknBeans View Post
Received the new EGR black solenoid to replace the solenoid that failed a simple energized test(I'm still suspicious that this OEM solenoid still works. Even though I tested it with truck battery power and two alligator test leads with a piece of cardboard placed between the two terminals). So I got one from Rock Auto and installed it yesterday. I haven't tested it out yet under driving conditions. But I will tomorrow. I've noticed the MIL turns on for the P1447 code around very 43 miles with the OEM solenoid. So if this solenoid isn't the fix. I'll pull the bed and check the hoses, clamps, 'Y' connector and green housing solenoid for the charcoal canister etc. Much easier to access all of this hardware and get a way better inspection with the bed off since access is much better with the bed off.
MIL came on today at 41 miles. So off with the bed!
Old 06-13-2021, 11:33 PM   #23108
89'HBV6
Ol'school Geek

Vehicle: 89' D21 KC SE V6 5spd 2WD - 87' D21 KC SE V6 5spd 2WD

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorknBeans View Post
MIL came on today at 41 miles. So off with the bed!
I don't git it... what does your Mother In Law have to do with 41 miles?

What he is saying is the aerodynamics of a D21 is a brick in the wind.
Probably at least as bad as a Jeep so worse than a cow.
89'HBV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
PoBoi850 (06-14-2021)
Old 06-13-2021, 11:54 PM   #23109
PorknBeans

Way too much!
Old 06-14-2021, 02:35 AM   #23110
Deerhurst
4/86 SE-V6 2 tone 4x4 HB

Vehicle: 1986.5 SE-V6 4WD D21, 2003 Audi A4 Avant 3.0 Quattro
Thanked 1,047 Times in 946 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89'HBV6 View Post
I don't git it... what does your Mother In Law have to do with 41 miles?

Malfunction Indicator Light. Very German car type name for the CEL.
VG33i
Deerhurst is offline   Reply With Quote