Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Hardbody Forum (D21)

Old 07-14-2018, 06:33 AM   #17421
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

Vehicle: '90 D21 4cyl 5spd 2wd

The bolt pattern is the same. Most (if not all) Japanese trucks with 6 lug hubs use the same pattern. That's why tacoma wheels fit on a hardbody and vice-versa. I believe the 4x4 models came with 15" wheels stock, so clearance shouldn't be an issue.
SBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 06:48 AM   #17422
XoXSciFiGuy

Vehicle: 1997 D21 King Cab XE 2WD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBJ View Post
The bolt pattern is the same. Most (if not all) Japanese trucks with 6 lug hubs use the same pattern. That's why tacoma wheels fit on a hardbody and vice-versa. I believe the 4x4 models came with 15" wheels stock, so clearance shouldn't be an issue.
I think clearance is fine. I'm just wondering if I should even do it...speedo has obviously been off about five MPH since the previous owner of the truck switched it to those 15 inch wheels. (cant believe I've owned the truck since March and never bothered to look LOL)

Using the calculators at Tire Size dot com, looks like going to the Pathy wheels and tires will put the speedo off ten miles an hour. In other words, it will say you are going sixty when actually doing just FIFTY. I don't mind that part, but I was wondering if anyone actually does the switch and how they felt about the results. That Pathy has some nice tires on it....

Might even be a gearing issue here. I once owned a four by four 1982 Nissan truck. Something was always funny about it. Engine was revved up pretty high at 60MPH. Seemed weird. I didn't keep it long. Was good off road, crap on freeways. I don't want this to happen to my truck just by switching tires and wheels. You know...having to keep engine revs much higher just to reach the same TRUE speed. That can't be good for the motor. It's one thing to just know your speedo is now off...and quite another to have to strain your engine just to make freeway speed. Not worth it.

Here are the current sizes on both rigs again:

Truck running 215/65/R15.

Pathy has mounted: 235/75/R15.

1997 King Cab XE, 5-sp, canopy, AC/PS, KA24E, 112,000 miles. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message.

Last edited by XoXSciFiGuy; 07-14-2018 at 06:55 AM.
XoXSciFiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 10:35 AM   #17423
Foul_Mouth
Infamous Autocrosser

Vehicle: 1986.5 4WD Reg Cab/ 1991 2WD Reg Cab(Red)/ 1995 2WD Reg Cab(Green)/ 92 WD21 4WD PathFinder

Go with a short overall height for your tire size if the speedo matters. a 215/60R15 perhaps. The overall height and circumference determines how many rotations per mile. Get that number close to the number of the factory tires and you could run any size wheel really, just as long at the revs per mile are the same or close.

Foul_Mouth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 10:35 AM   #17424
jp2code
Software Developer

Vehicle: 94 LB 2x4 Manual VG33e
Thanked 1,057 Times in 931 Posts

The wife is in the Pathy. You'd better keep her safe. She's got an Infamous account, and she might come after us if we encouraged you to put the crappy tires on her rig.

Besides, good tires on a vehicle are a selling point.

Bigger tires should make your speedometer read slower than actual highway speed. So 60 MPH would really be 70 MPH. I think everyone around you is just in a big hurry to get wherever they are going.
Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind always.

jp2code is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 10:51 AM   #17425
Hands On
XXXXXXXXXXXX

Vehicle: A Hardbody

Really wanted to find a set of these Mitsu Montero wheels which look a good bit like the late Hardbody alloy 6-spokes but in 15x7 before I needed a set of tires.

Old 07-14-2018, 02:04 PM   #17426
ahardb0dy
The Post Count Whore

Vehicle: 1993 Nissan Hardbody

XO, what size tires did your truck originally (stock) come with? Calculating the difference in the speedometer would be based on the original size vs the newer larger tire.

If your truck came with a 215/70/14 and you went to the 235/75/15 the speedometer would be off by aprox 6.9 mph higher (60 would be 66.9)

Not to mention the big difference in size

https://tiresize.com/comparison/

Current truck - 1993 Nissan Hardbody king cab 2wd
, (formerly owned: 90 Nissan Sentra, 94 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4x4, 05 Nissan Titan, 87 Nissan SE-V6 4x4 king cab, 94 Infiniti Q45t & 80 Datsun 310GX )
ahardb0dy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 05:40 PM   #17427
XoXSciFiGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp2code View Post
The wife is in the Pathy. You'd better keep her safe. She's got an Infamous account, and she might come after us if we encouraged you to put the crappy tires on her rig.

Besides, good tires on a vehicle are a selling point.

Bigger tires should make your speedometer read slower than actual highway speed. So 60 MPH would really be 70 MPH. I think everyone around you is just in a big hurry to get wherever they are going.
Yeah. I had that speed backwards in my calculations. I wouldn't switch the tires and wheels until just before we sell the Pathy. But the last owner spent over $800 on those tires for the Pathy, and they would work good on the truck. I bought the Pathy for a mere $1,300 and everything is good on it except the body is painted flat primer black.

Pathy was never to be her permanent rig. We're selling this 82 ZX we have on the first week of August. Then the Pathy goes, too. Combining this money, I will go *better* Pathy shopping for her. I had to ditch her Honda Civic sooner than I planned. (clutch about gone, body damage, bad brakes, missing interior parts, no radio, blah blah blah) LOL got $1,350 for it which was a shock.

So okay...if I switch to the bigger wheels and tires it would probably be just a speedo issue, and not me having to rev the hell out of the engine to make freeway speeds...I guess.

1997 King Cab XE, 5-sp, canopy, AC/PS, KA24E, 112,000 miles. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message.
Old 07-14-2018, 06:09 PM   #17428
Hands On
XXXXXXXXXXXX

Vehicle: A Hardbody

That tire's 11.6% larger diameter than stock size. You'll get less overall gear reduction, so the truck will feel slower when accelerating.

It should bring the speedo closer to reading correct but a little high. Mine is nearly 10% pessimistic on 215/70/14

Here's a tire comparison calculator

https://tiresize.com/comparison/
Old 07-14-2018, 06:11 PM   #17429
VOTS95

Vehicle: 1995 XE King Cab V6, Desert Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by XoXSciFiGuy View Post
So okay...if I switch to the bigger wheels and tires it would probably be just a speedo issue, and not me having to rev the hell out of the engine to make freeway speeds...I guess.
You can swap out the gear on the speed sensor to make the speedometer more accurate. I had to do this and now my speedo matches my GPS units within 3 mph at freeway speeds. It's almost dead on cruising around town.

It doesn't cost much and it was easy to do.

VOTS
VOTS95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 06:23 PM   #17430
XoXSciFiGuy

There's an independent tire shop here, they are connected to a wrecking yard and sell used tires. But they also do tire swaps cheap. Like 10 bucks a wheel. And they make package deals. So...I think I will kick this around for a while but I decided to KEEP my wheels and just switch the tires maybe. I have black American Beauty on the truck right now, and I see those are over a hundred bucks a wheel.

Her tires...I saw the receipt in the glove box...over 800 dollars and done just last March.

And...whoever did the Beauties on the TRUCK...they used these weird skinny looking lug nuts that are a real PITA. Those would go onto the Pathy. Nothing on a four-way lug wrench even fits them. You have to use a 17mm and they stick sometimes in the socket anyway. Gotta get rid of them.

The idea of switching out the sensor gear is good. I will probably do that.

I took a look at THIS PATHY on Craigslist, but it will probably sell before I can raise the money. But that's basically what I'm trying to put Gayla into in August. No, I wouldn't go $4,400 on it, but I would go close to 4K, maybe 4K at most, as long as the owner is willing to write it up for a lot less. (Frickin' 10% tax here they add onto title transfers, based on the selling price...grrr.)