Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Hardbody Forum (D21)

Old 07-10-2018, 02:14 AM   #17381
Deerhurst
4/86 SE-V6 2 tone 4x4 HB

Vehicle: 1986.5 Hardbody

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.stickeye View Post
What do you mean by hot rodded it?

Zipped around, little spinning of tires and drag raced a few old cars between the lights and on the highway. All the normal things you do when surrounded by high octane, big V8s and strait pipes!
VG33i
Deerhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 03:37 AM   #17382
XoXSciFiGuy

Vehicle: 1997 D21 King Cab XE 2WD

I am jealous of Deerhurst's lights. Had to say that.

Took the Teal Terror (joke) on a camping trip to the Olympics this last weekend. Was set up near the dead end on a remote Forest Service spur road. Then I took a walk to the END of the spur and discovered where someone had hacked down an old-growth Douglas Fir, took what they wanted, and left the rest. Hmm. It was taken strictly for FIREWOOD. You can tell from the cuts and the remains.

Pictures of the trip below. Wore the new IN shirt.

As you can see, I really rough it. Portable TV/Video, video game system, stereo, etc.

Tree stuff. Reported to rangers. No, there was no permit for the tree removal. They told me they try to stop it, but the thieves are professionals and sometimes very organized.

Still had fun, though. The last picture here, you are looking down at the stump.

1997 King Cab XE, 5-sp, canopy, AC/PS, KA24E, 114,000 miles. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message. Chilton's for amateurs.

Last edited by XoXSciFiGuy; 07-10-2018 at 04:08 AM.
XoXSciFiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 04:04 AM   #17383
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

Vehicle: '90 D21 4cyl 5spd 2wd

Shit I gotta get out camping before too long. Usually by this time of year I've already gone 2 or 3 times.
SBJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 04:53 AM   #17384
Deerhurst
4/86 SE-V6 2 tone 4x4 HB

Vehicle: 1986.5 Hardbody

Lights? Not following.

We had someone do similar on my parents ranch. Biggest and oldest tree we had too.

You don't camp man! You bring all the luxuries! I hate camping. Its always cold, miserable and wet and I always seem to sleep on a rock with my head downhill even if I'm sleeping in a box truck. I hurt for a while after getting back.
VG33i
Deerhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 05:22 AM   #17385
XoXSciFiGuy

I mean the lights in your signature. 'Morimoto Mini D2S HID Projectors and Hella 500s'. They are cool.

Camping? Well, every time I came across something that didn't work I found something that did. I'd get a trailer but then I couldn't reach some of the places I do.

I'll admit my preparations for the high country are close to ridiculous. It's better than home...and with a view. As far as luxuries, I say why suffer? It's a long way to the store.

1997 King Cab XE, 5-sp, canopy, AC/PS, KA24E, 114,000 miles. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message. Chilton's for amateurs.
Old 07-10-2018, 05:44 AM   #17386
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

Vehicle: '90 D21 4cyl 5spd 2wd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerhurst View Post
I hate camping. Its always cold, miserable and wet and I always seem to sleep on a rock with my head downhill even if I'm sleeping in a box truck. I hurt for a while after getting back.
I love to camp. I've been doing it for a long time. Staying dry is the most important thing, if you can do that staying warm is no problem. Also a decent cot or mattress pad to keep you off the ground. You lose a ton of heat that way. My setup isn't as impressive as Scifi's but it works. I usually bring 3 tarps, one to cook/hang out under, one to store stuff under and another to pitch the tent under. That one makes the biggest difference towards staying dry. It doesn't matter how great your tent's rain fly is, if rain is in the forecast you need to keep the area around the tent dry too so that water doesn't start collecting under it (and not set it up in a low spot obviously). After labor day until it gets too cold is the best time to go IMHO - all the kids are back in school and the burn ban is usually off by then as well.

Shit, I'll have to get out there and scope out some forest service roads once the timing chain is all said and done.
SBJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 06:59 AM   #17387
h.stickeye

Vehicle: 91 Nissan Navara d21 Single Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBJ View Post
I love to camp. I've been doing it for a long time. Staying dry is the most important thing, if you can do that staying warm is no problem. Also a decent cot or mattress pad to keep you off the ground. You lose a ton of heat that way. My setup isn't as impressive as Scifi's but it works. I usually bring 3 tarps, one to cook/hang out under, one to store stuff under and another to pitch the tent under. That one makes the biggest difference towards staying dry. It doesn't matter how great your tent's rain fly is, if rain is in the forecast you need to keep the area around the tent dry too so that water doesn't start collecting under it (and not set it up in a low spot obviously). After labor day until it gets too cold is the best time to go IMHO - all the kids are back in school and the burn ban is usually off by then as well.

Shit, I'll have to get out there and scope out some forest service roads once the timing chain is all said and done.
i usually just dig some drains around the tent.
h.stickeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 11:31 AM   #17388
jp2code
Software Developer

Vehicle: 94 LB 2x4 Manual VG33e
Thanked 1,107 Times in 977 Posts

I'm not sure if I've ever seen a Douglas Fur, but I have seen plenty of Oak.

Around here, if I cut an Oak down and throw it into a big brush fire that lasts for 2 days, the Oak will not burn because it is too green.

I used to like camping. The last time I did that, though, I spent the whole night fighting for my life against mosquitoes. I even brought those Citronella candles. I remember looking over at those candles and seeing mosquitoes getting stuck in the melted candle wax. They were drawn to the light, and then they just started eating me as I sat there sweating inside a sleeping bag.

Now, when I want to go camping, I just watch Friday the 13th. It's got teenage girls showing their boobies, and I don't get used as bug food.
1994 VG30E to VG33E with H256 Cams

jp2code is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 03:49 PM   #17389
XoXSciFiGuy

Quote:
"I used to like camping. The last time I did that, though, I spent the whole night fighting for my life against mosquitoes. I even brought those Citronella candles..."
The candles don't work. Mosquito coils by Coleman work. Light about four or five of them at once, no more mosquitoes around. If you are going to a really infested place, bomb the whole site with Holiday foggers BEFORE you start setting up your stuff. Then use the coils.

Holiday foggers are those smaller cans with the lock-down tab on top, mostly used for bombing the inside of homes with flea infestations. You use them like grenades outdoors. Lock down the tab on one here...toss it out there...then another. Get away for a few minutes. There won't be a single bug in the whole area afterward for days.

The reason I know about this stuff is because when I was a kid, we lived on Guam for a few years.

Thanked by:
jp2code (07-10-2018), SBJ (07-10-2018)
Old 07-10-2018, 03:56 PM   #17390
jp2code
Software Developer

Vehicle: 94 LB 2x4 Manual VG33e
Thanked 1,107 Times in 977 Posts

> You use them like grenades

lol
1994 VG30E to VG33E with H256 Cams

jp2code is offline   Reply With Quote