Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Tech Area > Wiring and Electrical

Old 10-27-2020, 08:46 AM   #1
Birdman74

Vehicle: Nissan D21 4x4 1991
Default 91 Nissan D21 4x4 KA24E 2.4l

Seems like Im on here asking for help with this piece of 💩 truck of mine. Just got off work tonight and was coming home and bingo my freaking headlights go out. Had to pull over and wait to keep from having a wreck. Turned the switch for the lights off and on a couple of times and it didn't work. Sitting there wondering my next move and Walla...the dang things come back on and drive about 5 miles and dim the lights for the on coming car and Ill be dipped in horse 💩 if the dang things didn't go off again. I replaced the turn signal and light switch about a year ago and no trouble. Just recently had the high pressure hose for the power steering replaced and the mechanic asked if I was having issues with my dash lights and gauges not working..told him no and he said they were not working now so to fix it he had to cut the fusable link out and straight wire it to get it to work. Could that have cause a issue with my headlights not working. I am done spending money on this money pit of a truck. Thanks for all y'alls help
Birdman74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 12:35 PM   #2
ahardb0dy
The Post Count Whore

Vehicle: 2017 Nissan Frontier Desert Runner

Put a fusible link in ASAP unless you want more and bigger trouble, It would have been as easy for the mechanic to replace the link (maybe easier) than straight wiring and removing the fusible link.

There is no replay on the headlights so most likely it is the switch. If both headlights and parking lights go out. Even though you replaced it.

First things, check the wire he put in and see if you have power on both sides.

Than turn the headlights on and check for power at the headlight plug, use a test light.

Current truck - 2017 Nissan Frontier Desert Runner ,

(formerly owned: 1993 Nissan Hardbody king cab 2wd, 90 Nissan Sentra, 94 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4x4, 05 Nissan Titan, 87 Nissan SE-V6 4x4 king cab, 94 Infiniti Q45t & 80 Datsun 310GX )
ahardb0dy is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Birdman74 (10-27-2020)
Old 10-27-2020, 09:56 PM   #3
Birdman74

Thank you��
Old 10-27-2020, 10:10 PM   #4
nunya

Vehicle: nissan d21 93 kingcab 2wd
Default Kind words

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdman74 View Post
Seems like Im on here asking for help with this piece of 💩 truck of mine. Just got off work tonight and was coming home and bingo my freaking headlights go out. Had to pull over and wait to keep from having a wreck. Turned the switch for the lights off and on a couple of times and it didn't work. Sitting there wondering my next move and Walla...the dang things come back on and drive about 5 miles and dim the lights for the on coming car and Ill be dipped in horse 💩 if the dang things didn't go off again. I replaced the turn signal and light switch about a year ago and no trouble. Just recently had the high pressure hose for the power steering replaced and the mechanic asked if I was having issues with my dash lights and gauges not working..told him no and he said they were not working now so to fix it he had to cut the fusable link out and straight wire it to get it to work. Could that have cause a issue with my headlights not working. I am done spending money on this money pit of a truck. Thanks for all y'alls help
Not for nuttin, perhaps you would get better results from your Nissan truck if you would learn to embrace her. This forum is chock full of folks from all over the country, the world, who are in love with their D21s. I prescribe that you speak kind, loving and supportive words to your soon to be 30 year old truck. Stroke her dash, massage her shifter, lubricate her with the finest oils. Now you will have to excuse me, I need a little special alone time with my '93 about now.
Old 10-27-2020, 10:17 PM   #5
nunya

Vehicle: nissan d21 93 kingcab 2wd

Fusible links, , I grab them from the junkyard every chance I get
nunya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 10:48 PM   #6
jp2code
Software Developer

Vehicle: 94 LB 2x4 Manual VG33e
Thanked 1,440 Times in 1,268 Posts

Agreed.

With the fusible links removed, if someone were to jump off your truck when you had a dead battery or if the voltage regulator on the alternator were going out, you would fry the electronics in your ECU and melt the coils in the injectors.

Grab some fusible links. Here's a sticky:

http://www.infamousnissan.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35558

As for the other issue, I'm going with Tony. The switches go out a lot. My guess is that your replacement was not a Nissan part, but one of these cheap parts - because originals can't be found anymore.
1994 VG30E to VG33E with H256 Cams

jp2code is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 05:14 AM   #7
Birdman74

Default Fusible link

Can I just replace the entire battery cable with the fusible link already attached? And if so where can I find it and it be the right one I need
Old 10-30-2020, 10:55 AM   #8
jp2code
Software Developer

Vehicle: 94 LB 2x4 Manual VG33e
Thanked 1,440 Times in 1,268 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdman74 View Post
Can I just replace the entire battery cable with the fusible link already attached? And if so where can I find it and it be the right one I need
Nobody sells it like that. Not NEW, anyway.

You could probably find one in the junkyard that way or buy it from someone parting their truck out that way.

Also, the positive battery cable (what the fusible links are attached to) is more complicated to replace. It goes from the battery and splits - one side goes down by the frame to bolt-up to the starter, and the other goes the relay box on the passenger side firewall.
1994 VG30E to VG33E with H256 Cams

jp2code is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Birdman74 (10-31-2020)
Old 10-31-2020, 02:05 AM   #9
Birdman74

Gotcha....much easier just to have the fusible link wired back in... Thanks to all y'all who have responded. I was at my wits end on this