Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Hardbody Forum (D21)

Old 12-23-2020, 03:32 AM   #21
jp2code
Software Developer

Vehicle: 94 LB 2x4 Manual VG33e
Thanked 1,468 Times in 1,289 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totalld21 View Post
As soon as I unplug the maf the whole engine dies right away.
Then the problem is not the MAF.

That's bizzar.
1994 VG30E to VG33E with H256 Cams

jp2code is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 04:33 AM   #22
Totalld21

Vehicle: 1996 d21 xe, 4x4, v6

Is there any good way to take the injectors out to rebuild them some how? Pretty sure ordering a new set will be somewhat pricey, thinking new seals or o-rings, instead of spending money on all new injectors.

Going to take the top end off once again to give the whole fuel rail a once over. Smells really gassy, so I'm guessing one injector is really messed up and its just messing everything else up.

Is there a part # for the engine temp sensors, I know there are 2 different ones. Or if there is a test for the temp sensor I can do with the multimeter.

I also get continuity on pins 17 and 16 on the ecu through to the maf connector so im pretty sure the wiring is good, also got another maf from a junkyard and still no difference.

Anyways I will probably open it up tomorrow and look into the injectors, any rebuild information on injectors is welcomed. Does the VG33ER run a different sized injector than a VG33E? I may have a supercharged motor just hanging around still. Anyways once again thanks for taking the time to read and help.
Totalld21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 04:34 AM   #23
PorknBeans

Vehicle: Original owner of my 3-pdl 1997 Nissan Hardbody King Cab XE 2WD 5-spd.
Smile

Quote:
Things I've replaced.
-spark plugs
-dcap and rotor
-sparkplugs
-maf sensor from wreckers
-Fuel pressure regulator.

Im at a loss for what else to check next, seems like lots of people have idling issues for the v6, but no one with a truck running so rough that its undriveable. Getting close to a month of troubleshooting and I'm over it.

Video of it running like crap - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7ON...nnel=totalld21

Idling smoother but still running better. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCTn...nnel=totalld21

last time i was even able to get it to drive in the last video, it ran like it was really down on power, but was still able to drive up a pretty steep hill.

Any suggestions or help is welcome, I've done a crap ton of posting on the facebook page but decided i should make a post here as well to better document my struggle.

I miss my d21 and it misses me dammit. xD
Are the spark plug wires in the correct firing order? You typed that you changed the spark plugs twice. S I'm assuming plugs and wires. That's why I ask if the wires are on the correct cylinders. Video with truck "running like crap" sounds like a misfire or the catalytic converter, if you have one, is plugged due to the catalytic converter getting too hot due to excessive fuel trying to be burned up/off by the catalytic converter.

If you go underneath the truck and tap the catalytic converter and it sounds/feels solid to the hit. The cat core is melted internally.

Just trying to narrow this problem down without actually working on your truck(which I would love to do, if I could).

Last edited by jp2code; 12-23-2020 at 11:35 AM.
PorknBeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 11:49 AM   #24
jp2code
Software Developer

Quote:
Is there any good way to take the injectors out to rebuild them some how? Pretty sure ordering a new set will be somewhat pricey, thinking new seals or o-rings, instead of spending money on all new injectors.

Going to take the top end off once again to give the whole fuel rail a once over. Smells really gassy, so I'm guessing one injector is really messed up and its just messing everything else up.

Is there a part # for the engine temp sensors, I know there are 2 different ones. Or if there is a test for the temp sensor I can do with the multimeter.
Like you said, there are 2 sensors. I can't ever remember which does what, but they are cheap enough that I'd say replace them both.

Here is the link to both on Rockauto.com for a 1995 truck because they don't list it for the 1996:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...+/+sensor,4748

I don't have the Nissan Part Numbers handy, but the link provides part numbers for other brands. One style is the $8.92 STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS TS125 and the other is the $13.19 STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS TX18. There are 2 BECK/ARNLEY items, too, but I just went with what I found first.

I also get continuity on pins 17 and 16 on the ecu through to the maf connector so I'm pretty sure the wiring is good, also got another maf from a junkyard and still no difference.

Quote:
Anyways I will probably open it up tomorrow and look into the injectors, any rebuild information on injectors is welcomed. Does the VG33ER run a different sized injector than a VG33E? I may have a supercharged motor just hanging around still. Anyways once again thanks for taking the time to read and help.
The VG33 injectors will not fit in the fuel rail. I tried that when I did my VG33 swap. They are a different shape and you would also need to splice the fuel rail harness to plug into the VG30 harness because the wiring is a little different. I didn't bother figuring it out.

But, rebuilt injectors are sold and those can be picked up pretty cheap. I've had mechanics use those whenever they replaced injectors. I let mechanics do that because they give me a warranty on the work, and whenever I tried doing it a couple of times in the past, I messed something up and had to do it all over.

Come to think of it, your truck does sound a lot like mine did when the injectors were messed up.

Look at the bright side: Once you get it running, it should be good for a long time.

Old 12-23-2020, 09:20 PM   #25
Totalld21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp2code View Post
Like you said, there are 2 sensors. I can't ever remember which does what, but they are cheap enough that I'd say replace them both.

Here is the link to both on Rockauto.com for a 1995 truck because they don't list it for the 1996:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...+/+sensor,4748

I don't have the Nissan Part Numbers handy, but the link provides part numbers for other brands. One style is the $8.92 STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS TS125 and the other is the $13.19 STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS TX18. There are 2 BECK/ARNLEY items, too, but I just went with what I found first.

I also get continuity on pins 17 and 16 on the ecu through to the maf connector so I'm pretty sure the wiring is good, also got another maf from a junkyard and still no difference.

The VG33 injectors will not fit in the fuel rail. I tried that when I did my VG33 swap. They are a different shape and you would also need to splice the fuel rail harness to plug into the VG30 harness because the wiring is a little different. I didn't bother figuring it out.

But, rebuilt injectors are sold and those can be picked up pretty cheap. I've had mechanics use those whenever they replaced injectors. I let mechanics do that because they give me a warranty on the work, and whenever I tried doing it a couple of times in the past, I messed something up and had to do it all over.

Come to think of it, your truck does sound a lot like mine did when the injectors were messed up.

Look at the bright side: Once you get it running, it should be good for a long time.
Should run for a long time for sure and I will have tons of parts incase anything else messes up at some point. Is there a link to rebuilt injectors somewhere? Also I'm running a vg33 in my truck as well with a vg33e fuel rail. All my connectors have been spliced and swapped over. Just wanted to know if I used the vg33er injector would the flow rate be the same? Anyways sounds promising that yours also kinda sounded similar with a bad injector.
Old 12-23-2020, 09:29 PM   #26
jp2code
Software Developer

If you got the VG33E injectors to mount, the Supercharger injectors should work also. If they are a different part number, my guess is that is only because they have a higher flow rate than the standard injectors.

I want to say that I had 2 injectors that did not flow at all and 2 injectors that were on all the time.

When I replaced them with new ones, it sounded like your truck. I gave up and took it to the dealership. They replaced the injectors again and it worked great. I think it is possible that I did something wrong. That's probably why I'm not a mechanic.

Old 12-23-2020, 10:26 PM   #27
Totalld21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp2code View Post
If you got the VG33E injectors to mount, the Supercharger injectors should work also. If they are a different part number, my guess is that is only because they have a higher flow rate than the standard injectors.

I want to say that I had 2 injectors that did not flow at all and 2 injectors that were on all the time.

When I replaced them with new ones, it sounded like your truck. I gave up and took it to the dealership. They replaced the injectors again and it worked great. I think it is possible that I did something wrong. That's probably why I'm not a mechanic.
I never actually removed the injectors from the fuel rail but now I wish I did. Crazy what they want for injectors, even the remanufactured ones.
Old 12-23-2020, 10:44 PM   #28
Deerhurst
4/86 SE-V6 2 tone 4x4 HB

Vehicle: 1986.5 SE-V6 4WD D21, 2003 Audi A4 Avant 3.0 Quattro

VG33er injectors are capable of twice the flow of VG33 injectors. VG33e and VG30e injectors should be the same flow.
VG33i
Deerhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 11:29 PM   #29
Totalld21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerhurst View Post
VG33er injectors are capable of twice the flow of VG33 injectors. VG33e and VG30e injectors should be the same flow.
I'm guessing the extra flow of the vg33er injectors would confuse my ECM. I found some vg33e on eBay and ordered them up so hopefully those do the trick.
Old 12-23-2020, 11:47 PM   #30
street_rulerr

Vehicle: 1996 4x4 5spd

it wont confuse the ECM it will just run really poorly. the ECU isnt that smart to pull timing or fuel. itll just act like its flooding all the time.

the 33 injectors might also run at a higher duty cycle than the vg30's and thats it.
street_rulerr is offline   Reply With Quote