Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Hardbody Forum (D21)

Old 12-20-2020, 08:47 PM   #11
rbourgeo

Vehicle: 1996 D21

No code for the ignition coil. I replaced the plugs, wires, rotors and cap, same as you. Ignition coil was just next in the line and was cheap enough. If you get a code for something else, follow it. Any chance you got a bad MAF? Happened once to me with a Mazda 323. Replaced a bad Maf (had a code), then the replacement was better but not perfect. Found another MAF in case and problem solved.

Injectors can be cleaned yourself. On a different vehicle I just rigged to 2 alligator clips, a battery and wires and used a can of carb spray to clean them and see the spray. Worked well. Lots of videos online. Or you could take them somewhere local to get them cleaned and flow tested.

Mine doesn’t have the ObD2 port as PorknBeans mentions, even though mines a 96 as well.
rbourgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 12:55 AM   #12
dvdswan
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 96 HB

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbourgeo View Post

Mine doesn’t have the ObD2 port as PorknBeans mentions, even though mines a 96 as well.
Outside the US, Nissans didn't need the OBD II emissions.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2618002
dvdswan is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
rbourgeo (12-21-2020)
Old 12-21-2020, 10:48 PM   #13
Totalld21

Vehicle: 1996 d21 xe, 4x4, v6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbourgeo View Post
No code for the ignition coil. I replaced the plugs, wires, rotors and cap, same as you. Ignition coil was just next in the line and was cheap enough. If you get a code for something else, follow it. Any chance you got a bad MAF? Happened once to me with a Mazda 323. Replaced a bad Maf (had a code), then the replacement was better but not perfect. Found another MAF in case and problem solved.

Injectors can be cleaned yourself. On a different vehicle I just rigged to 2 alligator clips, a battery and wires and used a can of carb spray to clean them and see the spray. Worked well. Lots of videos online. Or you could take them somewhere local to get them cleaned and flow tested.

Could be a vacuum leak still, I bought a gauge yesterday and was going to test it today, but will probably hold off until the snow stops.

Where's the best place to connect the vacuum gauge?

And I thought side feed injectors were more difficult to get cleaned, but have looked at some different methods on youtube. I'm going with a clogged/dirty or bad injector, as my fuel pressure regulator was bad for sure, I'm guessing the injectors got some debris in them. Would this cause all the plugs to be covered in unburnt fuel or just a few?

I will come back with some vacuum test results once the weather improves.
Totalld21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 11:08 PM   #14
rbourgeo

Vehicle: 1996 D21

Honestly don’t know the answer to any of your questions....

Not sure if exactly how you figure a bad fuel regulator is causing issues now to the injectors. The insides fall apart? And you figure are clogging now?

Honestly another cheap part to replace might be PCV valve. Takes a minute to check if it is still functioning.
rbourgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 01:16 AM   #15
jp2code
Software Developer

Vehicle: 94 LB 2x4 Manual VG33e
Thanked 1,468 Times in 1,289 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totalld21 View Post
Where's the best place to connect the vacuum gauge?

And I thought side feed injectors were more difficult to get cleaned, but have looked at some different methods on youtube. I'm going with a clogged/dirty or bad injector, as my fuel pressure regulator was bad for sure, I'm guessing the injectors got some debris in them. Would this cause all the plugs to be covered in unburnt fuel or just a few?
I think most people connect the vacuum gauge to the line going to the brake booster, but I'm not sure where. Personally, I use Starter Fluid to make short squirts around the engine with the engine fan blocked so it doesn't blow the Starter Fluid fumes away. You just want to make sure to only squirt small amounts at a time at different areas of your engine that you suspect. Too much Starter Fluid and you can't tell what part of your engine is sucking the fumes in. Also, if you have a bad spark at the wrong time, you don't want a lot of Starter Fluid to be in there.

The best way to test the injectors is by Ohming each one. They should have 11 to 14 Ohms on each one. If you have fouled plugs, either one or more injectors is open and dumping fuel all the time or your O2 sensor is sending an incorrect reading to the ECU, making the ECU dump extra fuel to try and compensate. The O2 sensor is supposed to be replaced every 60,000 miles, and the O-rings on the injectors can dissolve with ethanol in the gasoline.

If you replace the injectors, be sure to get new Injector Seals and Insulators.

And, make sure your plug wires are good. A bad plug wire will not send fire to the spark plug, also causing the plugs to be covered in unburnt fuel.
1994 VG30E to VG33E with H256 Cams

jp2code is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 03:34 AM   #16
Deerhurst
4/86 SE-V6 2 tone 4x4 HB

Vehicle: 1986.5 SE-V6 4WD D21, 2003 Audi A4 Avant 3.0 Quattro

Any vacuum line will work. Doesn't have to be a big one.
VG33i
Deerhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 09:11 PM   #17
Totalld21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp2code View Post
I think most people connect the vacuum gauge to the line going to the brake booster, but I'm not sure where. Personally, I use Starter Fluid to make short squirts around the engine with the engine fan blocked so it doesn't blow the Starter Fluid fumes away. You just want to make sure to only squirt small amounts at a time at different areas of your engine that you suspect. Too much Starter Fluid and you can't tell what part of your engine is sucking the fumes in. Also, if you have a bad spark at the wrong time, you don't want a lot of Starter Fluid to be in there.

The best way to test the injectors is by Ohming each one. They should have 11 to 14 Ohms on each one. If you have fouled plugs, either one or more injectors is open and dumping fuel all the time or your O2 sensor is sending an incorrect reading to the ECU, making the ECU dump extra fuel to try and compensate. The O2 sensor is supposed to be replaced every 60,000 miles, and the O-rings on the injectors can dissolve with ethanol in the gasoline.

If you replace the injectors, be sure to get new Injector Seals and Insulators.

And, make sure your plug wires are good. A bad plug wire will not send fire to the spark plug, also causing the plugs to be covered in unburnt fuel.
Pretty sure plugs and wires are good as I checked spark on each one and they all.seened to have good spark. I'm gonna try a vacuum test to see if there's a leak andthen I might pull the injectors and clean them.
Old 12-22-2020, 10:50 PM   #18
Totalld21

Ran a vacuum test and looked like it checked out fine.
Old 12-22-2020, 10:52 PM   #19
jp2code
Software Developer

Vehicle: 94 LB 2x4 Manual VG33e
Thanked 1,468 Times in 1,289 Posts

If you unplug the MAF, does the engine idle OK?
1994 VG30E to VG33E with H256 Cams

jp2code is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 03:14 AM   #20
Totalld21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp2code View Post
If you unplug the MAF, does the engine idle OK?
As soon as I unplug the maf the whole engine dies right away.