Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Hardbody Forum (D21)

Old 12-19-2020, 11:33 PM   #1
Totalld21

Vehicle: 1996 d21 xe, 4x4, v6
Default D21 v6, Over fueling, sputtering, undriveable.

So my trucks a 1995 v6 xe it runs extremely rich and doesn't idle good at all. It ran rich before my idle problems and sometimes would have a stumble for 10 seconds when first starting it, then would idle and run fine. But now when u give it gas the rpms drop and then jump up right after, just seems like its getting too much fuel. This make my truck pretty much undrivable. Seems to be when my dad pushes down onto the maf connector the rpms change a little bit, but doesn't fully clean up the idle. Can a connector go bad? I also unplugged my maf sensor and it still runs bad, I also checked continuity from ecm pins to the maf connectors wires, it also checked out. I should also mention all plugs are covered in soot "blackened" dry not wet. And seem to be getting spark through every wire.

Things I've replaced.
-spark plugs
-dcap and rotor
-sparkplugs
-maf sensor from wreckers
-Fuel pressure regulator.

Im at a loss for what else to check next, seems like lots of people have idling issues for the v6, but no one with a truck running so rough that its undriveable. Getting close to a month of troubleshooting and I'm over it.

Video of it running like crap - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7ON...nnel=totalld21

Idling smoother but still running better. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCTn...nnel=totalld21

last time i was even able to get it to drive in the last video, it ran like it was really down on power, but was still able to drive up a pretty steep hill.

Any suggestions or help is welcome, I've done a crap ton of posting on the facebook page but decided i should make a post here as well to better document my struggle.

I miss my d21 and it misses me dammit. xD

Last edited by Totalld21; 12-19-2020 at 11:42 PM.
Totalld21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 12:04 AM   #2
jp2code
Software Developer

Vehicle: 94 LB 2x4 Manual VG33e
Thanked 1,458 Times in 1,281 Posts

Pull the codes. If it comes back with Code 55, look for vacuum leaks.
1994 VG30E to VG33E with H256 Cams

jp2code is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 12:22 AM   #3
Deerhurst
4/86 SE-V6 2 tone 4x4 HB

Vehicle: 1986.5 SE-V6 4WD D21, 2003 Audi A4 Avant 3.0 Quattro

I've only ever had vaccum leaks cause me bad idle issues.

I'd pull codes, if 55 then check for vacuum leaks and confirm timing. When I had my timing set poorly it had no torque at all.
VG33i
Deerhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 01:35 AM   #4
Totalld21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerhurst View Post
I've only ever had vaccum leaks cause me bad idle issues.

I'd pull codes, if 55 then check for vacuum leaks and confirm timing. When I had my timing set poorly it had no torque at all.
Your on tbi tho right? Or did u switch over?
Old 12-20-2020, 03:57 AM   #5
dvdswan
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 96 HB

have you checked the air filter or a blockage in the tube?
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2618002
dvdswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 04:18 AM   #6
Deerhurst
4/86 SE-V6 2 tone 4x4 HB

Vehicle: 1986.5 SE-V6 4WD D21, 2003 Audi A4 Avant 3.0 Quattro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totalld21 View Post
Your on tbi tho right? Or did u switch over?
I am currently TBI for now. Only difference in my original motor and your motor is the intake plenum and fuel rail. The VG33 I currently have was a MPFI motor and I just swapped on my old plenum and throttle body.
VG33i
Deerhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 06:03 AM   #7
XoXSciFiGuy

Vehicle: 1997 D21 King Cab XE 2WD, 1998 Pathfinder.

The FIRST video...the one where the engine runs really rough...that sounded like a massive vacuum leak somewhere. Engine was falling flat on its face when revving it, and the black powder is unburned fuel. Have you checked your injectors? Or had vacuum leak check?

Look....if this becomes too much for you...your best bet is to have the engine diagnosed by a shop that knows what the hell they are really doing with these trucks. And that list of 'who can really do it,' is a damn short list these days. All foreign auto shops will tell you, "Sure, we can do it." but more often than not they can't. I quit going to them and found a domestic shop that CAN do hardbody engines very well. You have to screen these guys real good. Sometime on the phone, sometimes in person, and pin them down on whether they can diagnosis these trucks for real or NOT.

But when you do this, you also have to do a trick on the shop to ensure they really give you an accurate diagnosis. Otherwise they will just do a quick check, and an uninformed bid. Trust me on this one.

Once you find the right shop, you tell them THIS:

You want a complete diagnosis, and if the price isn't TOO high, that THEY will be doing the fixing. You want a bid for fixing, too.

This way, you will get a full bid and a complete diagnosis FOR REAL. Make sure you get a paper from them saying all that is wrong, and the costs for fixing...right?

Then...when you pick up the truck...you make an excuse that you will have to wait for the money to fix it. Take your full-bore diagnosis on paper...and LEAVE.

Go home and fix the truck yourself. This technique works very well to get an accurate diagnosis, otherwise sometimes they just blow you off a bit and give you the REAL bid when you commit to a fix. By doing what I said back there...you can go AROUND all that crap and find out what's REALLY wrong. NEVER tell a repair shop that you want ONLY a diagnosis, and that YOU will fix it. NEVER DO THIS.

Expect to pay about $100-150, although some of the really good shops will tell you everything for nothing. Make sure you take a small notebook and pen with you in any case, just to make notes.

1997 King Cab XE, 5-sp, canopy, AC/PS, KA24E, 128,000 miles. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message. Chilton's for amateurs.

Last edited by XoXSciFiGuy; 12-20-2020 at 06:11 AM.
XoXSciFiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 02:57 PM   #8
rbourgeo

Vehicle: 1996 D21

Fellow British Columbian!

My V6 intermittently did the same. But not all the time.
After checking the codes as they mention above- replace the ignition coil. I got one about $40 off amazon, and no issues since.

That being said, the suggestions of vacuum leaks and air blockages in air filter.
rbourgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 04:35 PM   #9
Totalld21

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbourgeo View Post
Fellow British Columbian!

My V6 intermittently did the same. But not all the time.
After checking the codes as they mention above- replace the ignition coil. I got one about $40 off amazon, and no issues since.

That being said, the suggestions of vacuum leaks and air blockages in air filter.
Did your ecu throw out a code for an ignition coil?

I honestly think its an injector at this point as my fuel pressure regulator failed on me and might have introduced debris in my fuel system clogging my injectors. Thats just my theory tho, gonna pull the injectors and give them a look over.

Can you clean up injectors or is it better just to buy new? Damn things are pricey!
Old 12-20-2020, 06:32 PM   #10
PorknBeans

Vehicle: Original owner of my 3-pdl 1997 Nissan Hardbody King Cab XE 2WD 5-spd.

Get a code reader, plug it into the port under the left side of the driver dash, pull the code(s), research code(s) and begins to troubleshoot using the trouble diagnosis flow sheets and go through EVERY vacuum hose located on the engine. Replace ONE BY ONE until they are all replaced. There is also a a base gasket on the bottom of the throttle body that needs to be replaced to prevent a vacuum leak also.

Take a digital meter and CAREFULLY unlock the harness connectors to the fuel injectors and measure the resistance between each pin on the injectors.

https://www.nicoclub.com/service-man...Truck%2Fec.pdf

EC-280 is where the injector tests begin for Non-Detectable items(no code(s) for injector failure(s)).