Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Tech Area > Wiring and Electrical

Old 12-14-2020, 04:17 PM   #21
jp2code
Software Developer

Vehicle: 94 LB 2x4 Manual VG33e
Thanked 1,476 Times in 1,297 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96RedHardBody View Post
I have wondered about my thermostat through all this ... what is a good way to test if it is good?
A good test is to boil it. At boiling temperature, it should be open - and closed otherwise.

But, a thermostat is so cheap that if you are going to go through the trouble of pulling the system apart to get to it, have a new one on hand to replace it.

Maybe test the new one in boiling water before putting it in the truck. Sometimes new ones don't work.

Don't DROP it into boiling water, but have it in a pot of water and bring the water up to boiling temperature.

But, if your existing thermostat is bad, my guess is it is because of a broken spring making it so the thermostat is open all the time. If it did not open at temperature, you would have an overheating issue.

And make sure you put the thermostat in the right way. They don't flow very well when they are installed backward, and you would get overheating problems.

I think you will need some RTV to seal the thermostat in place and a good scraper to remove the old RTV. It's kind of a pain to remove.
1994 VG30E to VG33E with H256 Cams

jp2code is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 05:25 AM   #22
96RedHardBody

Vehicle: Nissan Hardbody 1996

Quote:
... so looking at the EL section of the owners manual, I found the proper ohm range for the sender is 20-90 ohms, so the replacement sender is not compatible.

I have wondered about my thermostat through all this ... what is a good way to test if it is good?

Tackled the thermostat question today ... as I have come to suspect PO had removed the thermostat. No wonder my display gauge was "not working" despite putting in new sender. It is working now and it seem engine idles better as well ... wondering if I am imagining this.
96RedHardBody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 12:26 PM   #23
alabama_lowlife
Owner and Administrator

Vehicle: 2012 370Z, 1970 Datsun 521, 1995 Nissan Hardbody x2
Thanked 2,053 Times in 1,691 Posts

Quote:
Tackled the thermostat question today ... as I have come to suspect PO had removed the thermostat. No wonder my display gauge was "not working" despite putting in new sender. It is working now and it seem engine idles better as well ... wondering if I am imagining this.
Its not your imagination I would guess. The thermostat is an important part of the cooling system. The temperature of the engine plays an important part in the overall operation of the engine. The engine performance is anything but optimal with the thermostat removed.