Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Infamous Nissan > General Discussion

Old 12-31-2014, 02:40 PM   #11
veesix

Vehicle: 1988 SE V6 KingCab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissean View Post
I'm thinking of stripping the paint off the rear part of the tailpipe. Not a fan of the black paint and want it to look as stock as possible.
That paint is stock, 100% Nissan. It looks great.
veesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 04:09 PM   #12
Foul_Mouth
Pounding Rox Truck

Vehicle: 1986.5 4WD Reg Cab/ 1991 2WD Reg Cab(Red)/ 1995 2WD Reg Cab(Green)/ 92 WD21 4WD PathFinder

I like the black as well, I always paint my pipes, slows the rust.

Foul_Mouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 11:16 PM   #13
Nissean

Vehicle: 1987 Nissan SE V6 King Cab 4x4

I'll bolt it up and see how it looks.
Nissean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 03:39 AM   #14
cadillacdude1975
The Gear Jammer

Vehicle: 87 D21 SE KC V6 2wd 5sp & 87 Pathfinder 4x4 SE
Thanked 1,208 Times in 1,110 Posts

its probably a high temp enamel paint. it should tolerate the exhaust heat pretty good. its far from engine so it shouldnt get that hot.
cadillacdude1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Rick (07-20-2020)
Old 07-20-2020, 02:19 PM   #15
rockcrawls

Vehicle: 1991 D21 4wd 4cyl, Case 580D backhoe loader

I want to replace the stock exhaust on mine. Probably everything from the front pipe back. I just want o be compliant, quiet and stock fit. I guess I'll call the dealership but can anyone recommend other current options?

Last edited by rockcrawls; 07-20-2020 at 02:28 PM.
rockcrawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 08:29 PM   #16
89'HBV6
Ol'school Geek

Vehicle: 89' D21 KingCab SE V6 5spd 2WD - 87' D21 KingCab SE V6 5spd 2WD

I was referred to a local guy who did a full (cat back) exhaust for rather cheap. Like <$150, IIRC, but this was ~5 years ago. Talk to friends, call around and find a small local guy. Keep them in Biz, they COULD be going away soon.

YMMV
89'HBV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 10:26 PM   #17
swampyankee

Vehicle: 1994 D21 XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockcrawls View Post
I want to replace the stock exhaust on mine. Probably everything from the front pipe back. I just want o be compliant, quiet and stock fit. I guess I'll call the dealership but can anyone recommend other current options?

I've had good luck with Bosal exahaust Systems;
http://www.bosalusa.com/searchresult...id=20#products

I've used also Walker but was less impressed with some bad welds.

There are some pretty good deals on the Bosal Pipes on line.
swampyankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 10:42 PM   #18
rockcrawls

Vehicle: 1991 D21 4wd 4cyl, Case 580D backhoe loader

Thanks Swampyankee.

How was it on noise? stock system quiet?

I just drug my old muffler out from under my deck. it's been under my deck for the past 12 or more years since it basically fell off falling apart. All the brackets still look in decent condition.

I have a growing hole in my catalytic which seems to be the reason my dash emissions light is on solid now.

I didn't like the vibe I got from two local shops here so I'd rather just do it myself if I can as I also have more free time and less money these days. There is also a tiny chance I could end up in California at some point so I don't want to invest in something that I'll just have to redo. Walker is the only option on rockauto and it says "not for sale in california". Would that have any bearing if I moved to CA?
rockcrawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 12:02 AM   #19
swampyankee

Vehicle: 1994 D21 XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockcrawls View Post
Thanks Swampyankee.

How was it on noise? stock system quiet?

I just drug my old muffler out from under my deck. it's been under my deck for the past 12 or more years since it basically fell off falling apart. All the brackets still look in decent condition.

I have a growing hole in my catalytic which seems to be the reason my dash emissions light is on solid now.

I didn't like the vibe I got from two local shops here so I'd rather just do it myself if I can as I also have more free time and less money these days. There is also a tiny chance I could end up in California at some point so I don't want to invest in something that I'll just have to redo. Walker is the only option on rockauto and it says "not for sale in california". Would that have any bearing if I moved to CA?

I installed it all myself, Pretty much plug and play. No mods. The muffler, resonator and tail pipe are all one assembly.

One consideration, I have a 94 and had to have the pair pipe( pipe from the Pair valve to the y Pipe) welded on. I couldn't locate a new Pair Pipe anywhere, so I had to cut the old one off. It had been welded previously. A bit of a pain in the ass, but worked out well. I don't know if a 91 has the same set up.

I did use a walker Cat(it was cheaper) and it all went together fine. Had to get the heat shield on the Cat rewelded after about 8 Months as the weld failed. On a previous D21 The new Walker Y Pipe had a small void where it was joined. Didn't have time to deal with it so I just JB welded the void.. It held for multiple years

Yes, There are Federal and California permutations of the D21 Exhaust. The Federal are 48 State legal; I believe New York and Maine require California Emissions standards as well but it depends upon age of Vehicle in those two states. Bosal Offers both Fed and California versions.

So if you plan to Live in California you do need to meet the California standard. Keep in Mind the Cali Exhaust is 50 state legal, so there's that.
You can find them. In BC it didn't matter so just used a Federal standard set up.

The exhaust is quiet and a little throaty. Doesn't drone like exhaust that was on the truck. As good as Stock in my opinion.
swampyankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 10:33 AM   #20
nunya

Vehicle: nissan d21 93 kingcab red

Cheese and crackers, every time I read something about California Emissions I promise myself I will never live there. Sometimes I feel like I wouldn't even want to VISIT the place. Are all these restrictions JUST because L.A. has a weather system that keeps the smog over the city? Might suggest installing a ceiling fan to alleviate the problem?