Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Tech Area > Engine and Drivetrain

Old 07-07-2020, 10:32 PM   #1
SBellew

Vehicle: 1986 Nissan Hardbody 4x4
Post Help after head gasket and timing chain replacement

You guys have been very helpful in my intro thread.

Figured I would move forward since I am getting more involved in getting the 86.5 going again.

Backstory: No compression on cylinder 3 and 4, pulled head and the gasket was blown between the 2 cylinders. Went ahead and replaced the timing components while I had her tore down that far.

Now, to today. I am to the point where everything is back together, 2 black links in the timing chain aligned with crank at TDC on what I assume was exhaust stroke for cylinder 1. Aligned oil pump and inserted. When I put the distributor in, the rotor aligned with the 1E post which was at about 7 o'clock when looking at the distributor from the drivers side fender. I am getting it to turn over, but not wanting to fire off and when it did fire off, it had no power like it was out of time.

Have a couple of questions for someone with a z24i:
1. How can I tell which coil is intake vs. exhaust? Wires are all the same color as are the coils.
2. The distributor, when inserted, is the tab were the single wire connects to the spade terminal facing the grill or firewall?
3. Anyone got a decent or several pictures of their engine bay, preferably without the air filter holder so I can see the vacuum line connections?

Thanks in advance.
SBellew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 03:57 PM   #2
street_rulerr

Vehicle: 1996 4x4 5spd

dizzy: actually if you get them swapped it wont rev over like 3500. i had an old 200sx with the 8 plugs and the wires were reversed by the previous owner. interesting thing to find.
street_rulerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
SBellew (07-08-2020)
Old 07-13-2020, 01:33 AM   #3
SBellew

Good evening y'all. I got the truck all put back together, but have absolutely no power. Givens:
Marks lined up on the crank and cam shaft gears to the black links when putting the timing chain on
Oil pump oil journal on pump was aligned with the dot on the geared shaft
Distributor was pointing at I1 on cap when inserted.
Plug wires are inserted according to marks on cap.

I have not checked compression again yet to see if I wasted all that time and need to pull the engine and get a re-ring kit yet.

Main question is did I put the distributor in correctly? Any glaring issues you guys with more knowledge see from the pictures?
Also, I did notice a vacuum hose missing on the piece that looks like a backwards F, but did not see a hose missing its mate.

Old 07-13-2020, 05:37 PM   #4
SBellew

Checked compression, all 4 cylinders are running 100 psi with the engine cold.

I am re-reading the service manual and it says to warm the engine before checking compression. Will re-test in a bit after warming the engine to see if the reading goes up.
Old 08-07-2020, 08:51 PM   #5
SBellew

Got around to retesting compression. Added oil to the cylinder and saw a definite rise in compression. Will pull the engine and tear it down to see if it can be ringed or if it needs machine work that will run up the cost.

If its needs more then rings, will be looking for an engine to swap out.