Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Tech Area > Engine and Drivetrain

Old 07-14-2020, 07:20 PM   #1
Cjordan

Vehicle: 1991 d-21
Default Thermostat question

Hey folks first of all I would like to thank yíall for having me here.

This is my first post, but Iíve been looking on here for the last few days trying to gather information.

Iíve got a 1991 D-21 4wd with a KA24E

Iíve only had the truck for a couple weeks, and have been tinkering with it here and there, and hope Iíve about got it ready to go.

Having issues with the thermostat tho and hoping yíall can help.

The issue started with every once in a while the truck didnít want to fire up after driving it for a little bit. Not every time, but every so often I can drive it 15-20 miles, kill it and have to either put the gas flat on the floor to crank it or let it cool down some before it Iíll fire up.

After doing some reading on here I figured out how to pull the codes and got a 13, temp sending unit. I changed it out and when I pulled the bleeder bolt no water came out. I didnít have to add much before it started coming out.

Anyhow, Iíve added water and got some bubbles out of the filler neck. The issue Iím having is, I havenít seen the thermostat open up.

Iíve let it run for 30min, 20min, and 10-15min. The needle in the dash gets to about a needle width below the middle, so no issues running hot or anything, the top radiator hose along with the two heater core hoses are hot, and the bottom radiator hose is ďcoolĒ to the touch.

Iíve messed with sbc most all my life, and you can definitely tell when the thermostat opens you can see the water ďrollingĒ, but in this truck Iíve yet to see it ďrollĒ

Just wondering if anyone can line me out on this? Maybe these motors wonít roll the water like Iím use to seeing in a V8

Also Iíve killed it about 5-6 times after changing the sensor and itís fired right back up each time, we will see tho since it was only happening every now and then.

I appreciate any and all help.
Cjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 08:03 PM   #2
Deerhurst
4/86 SE-V6 2 tone 4x4 HB

Vehicle: 1986.5 Hardbody

I'm betting the temp sensor you replaced was the one for the ECU and it was throwing false values causing hard starts. Likely the issue.

I would expect you should see some movement of fluids with the motor running. Your needle position is the right spot for it to be happy. Does your fan clutch ever engage?

I'd just assume the thermostat may not need to open completely to allow the engine to maintain temps. Hard to tell without being there.

For air there is usually a bleeder on the top hose.
VG33i
Deerhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 08:34 PM   #3
Cjordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerhurst View Post
I'm betting the temp sensor you replaced was the one for the ECU and it was throwing false values causing hard starts. Likely the issue.

I would expect you should see some movement of fluids with the motor running. Your needle position is the right spot for it to be happy. Does your fan clutch ever engage?

I'd just assume the thermostat may not need to open completely to allow the engine to maintain temps. Hard to tell without being there.

For air there is usually a bleeder on the top hose.

Thereís two sensors right there side by side, a red sensor (closer to the engine) and a black sensor closer to the (P/S fender). I changed the red sensor, it had two wires. I sure hope that solves my issue.

As far as the fan clutch engaging Iím not for sure. I do know the fan was spinning the whole time. But didnt pay attention ďlistenĒ for the clutches to kick in and out.
Unless the fan only spins when the clutch is engaged.

I know this will be a bad example but... while watching the water through the neck, every once in a while I could see ďtrashĒ slowly float by. Always seemed to be moving from the pass side towards the drivers side.
Trash is a real harsh term to use, just looked like sand size particles every so often. wouldnít be but a couple particles here and there.

For the air bleeder it was a 10mm bolt just between the red sensor and the engine. Im assuming thatís the correct one to bleed from, has a sticker that says do not remove when hot, and antifreeze came out when I removed it.

One thing I forgot to mention in my first post. Donít know if itíll matter or help, but when I stuck a thermometer in the filler neck it was reading between 170-173 degrees
Old 07-14-2020, 11:37 PM   #4
YEPEE

Vehicle: 86.5 HB,95 HB, 02 Sentra Spec-V

did you replace the injector style connector? (2 pin, square) that is the one that feeds the ecu, the single spade feeds the gauge, you also have a air temp sensor that mounts underneath the air cleaner, that has a habit of breaking the wires at the sensor.. a thought anyway
YEPEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 11:43 PM   #5
Deerhurst
4/86 SE-V6 2 tone 4x4 HB

Vehicle: 1986.5 Hardbody

OE thermostat will be 170F.

I'm not familiar with the KA engine having never owned or worked on one.

You should hear the clutch fan pull air pretty good when first starting up. It'll move a little just due to the fluid in it. When it is not engaged you should be able to roll up a newspaper and stop the fan with it. You won't be able to hear the clutch it's self but you should be able to hear it start pulling air.
VG33i
Deerhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 12:29 AM   #6
Cjordan

Yes sir just went back out there and messed with it. When I idle it up a little bit you can definitely tell the fan is blowing much harder then when it’s at idle.
Old 07-15-2020, 12:36 AM   #7
alabama_lowlife
Owner and Administrator

Vehicle: 2012 370Z, 1970 Datsun 521, 1995 Nissan Hardbody x2
Thanked 1,984 Times in 1,633 Posts

If it’s sitting a needle width below half scale I wouldn’t worry about whether or not you can see an increase in flow when the thermostat opens. That temp indication is perfect. It tells me the thermostat and everything in the cooling system is working properly.
Old 07-15-2020, 01:21 PM   #8
Cusser

Vehicle: 2004 Frontier

To bleed the air out of my 4-cylinder engines, I jack up the front, turn heater on full, take off radiator cap, start it up, and keep filling with 50/50 as necessary until full and stabilizes. Can take 15 minutes.
2004 Frontier King Cab (2WD, 5-speed, 4-cylinder, 98.5K), 1998 Frontier regular cab (2WD, 5-speed, 4-cylinder 225K), 1988 Mazda B2200 (2WD, 5-speed, 4-cylinder, 214K), 1971 VW Convertible (140K), 2005 Yukon (180K), 1970 VW (260+K)
Cusser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 02:34 PM   #9
nunya

Vehicle: nissan d21 93 kingcab red

I did not see much movement either until i replaced my radiator, though the temp gauge did not change much.
Old 08-24-2020, 03:23 PM   #10
SVTCTR

Vehicle: 1997 Nissan Pickup KA24DE

I have the KA24DE, I installed the 170F thermostat. Reading my temps through a OBD2 app im settling out at 200F the hottest it has been is 203 and even drops to 194 at the best or even lower at 186(rarely). Is this normal? When should I be worried?

New V6 Rad
New Cap
New Thermostat 170
New Water Pump
New Fan Clutch

All Aftermarket, nothing OEM.
2019 Ford F-250

SVTCTR is offline   Reply With Quote