Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Tech Area > Wiring and Electrical

Old 12-06-2020, 11:46 PM   #1
Beercaps

Vehicle: 94 D21
Default Another beercaps misadventure (yay)

Alternator started squealing like a stuck pig so I headed down to the parts store to just put in a fresh one, they gave me whatís recommended and when I brought it home to install it, I found out the mounting holes on the alternator are spaced at least a quarter inch too far apart. I can either line up the top or bottom mounting hole but getting both is not physically possible. Is there any chance whoever owned the truck before me swapped in something else? I donít think itís quest parts because the upper mount isnít as long as the quest one appears to be. Center of the bottom mounting hole to centerish of the top bracket slot is roughly 6 7/8Ē and the recommended alternator they gave me has a spacing of just over 7Ē. Tilting the alternator doesnít help line it up anywhere along the top mount. As always, any help is appreciated.
Beercaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 12:29 AM   #2
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

Vehicle: '90 D21 4cyl 5spd 2wd

They probably just sold you the wrong one. It happens way too often. I went down a similar path when the alternator in our 4runner died last year.

Take it back and get another one, and hold onto the original one until the replacement is in and working. In no particular order, check that:

The pulley is the same
The connectors are the same, both the pigtail and the stud where the alternator lead goes
You can physically plug in the connector

Even after I got one that had the correct pulley and the mounting holes were in the correct places, the pigtail still wouldn't fit through the hole in the backing plate and the plastic wire retainer thingy below the stud didn't line up with the tabs on the end of the truck's alternator lead. I ended up having to swap over both of those parts from the factory alternator to get it to work. That was a little over a year ago and it's still working, but it was definitely more trouble than it should have been.
SBJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 12:57 AM   #3
Beercaps

All the connections were good, only part I messed up on was giving them the core too soon. I was out running errands and had the thought that Iíd just take the core charge and use it at my next stop. Going to pull apart tomorrow or Tuesday to snag some top mounts and see whatís up with them
Old 12-07-2020, 05:34 AM   #4
89'HBV6
Ol'school Geek

Vehicle: 89' D21 KingCab SE V6 5spd 2WD - 87' D21 KingCab SE V6 5spd 2WD

Run down tomorrow and get your core back. Can't loose that....... it fits.
89'HBV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 04:56 PM   #5
david29
Administrator

Vehicle: 1987 Nissan King Cab

There are two alternators for the these trucks. The bolt holes are in 12 & 6 oclock position and 1 & 6 oclock position.
Thanked by:
Beercaps (12-10-2020)
Old 12-10-2020, 03:09 AM   #6
Beercaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89'HBV6 View Post
Run down tomorrow and get your core back. Can't loose that....... it fits.
Tried that, it was gone the next day :/ that’s apparently the one thing they’re on top of. Should be good to go with David’s suggestion, if for some crazy reason it’s not I’ll get my refund buy a questionable one from the JY and start over

Quote:
Originally Posted by david29 View Post
There are two alternators for the these trucks. The bolt holes are in 12 & 6 oclock position and 1 & 6 oclock position.
The one they gave me that doesn’t fit is 12&6, I wasn’t paying attention to the old one but a 1&6 position sounds like it would cause the top end to sit lower and fit. I’ll know tomorrow around 3pm

Last edited by Beercaps; 12-10-2020 at 04:02 AM.
Old 12-21-2020, 03:35 AM   #7
Beercaps

Update for the sake of posterity: David29 nailed it.
Thanked by:
89'HBV6 (12-21-2020)