Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Tech Area > Engine and Drivetrain

Old 11-26-2021, 04:46 AM   #1
tommyswiss

Vehicle: 1997 Nissan Hardbody / KA24E 2.4L 4 cylinders / 5 speed manual / 4X4
Talking Rough idle, may be difficult to start

Hey yíall! This is gonna be a detailed form of how I fix my rough idle problem!

So I drive a 1997 Nissan Hardbody with the KA24E engine and about a week ago out of nowhere like completely out of the blue, my engine would idle really really bad, like rpm would jump from 800 to all way down the 300-500, other symptoms where: the engine would shake like hell, it was never a smooth idle, if you listen to the tail pipe you could hear some pops while at idle. But I had no codes at all, no check engine light or service engine soon light. It was just idling really really bad. But if you rev it higher then 1500-2000 rpm it would be really smooth, no misfire, no loss in power no nothing. Like it was running really really good.

And I thought it would be my spark plugs, spark plugs wires, distributor cap or spark fault but I replaced all that about 10,000 miles ago so I was sure it wasnít a ignition problem.

My problem was getting really annoying and was too scared of driving it more because I didnít want to mess it up more and create new problems.

So how I fixed it?

First I thought I had a dirty IAC valve so I took it apart cleaned it with brake cleaner, test the electric motor then put it back and made a silicone gasket.
While I was cleaning the IAC Valve I also cleaned the MAF sensor with MAF sensor cleaner from O Riley. I also cleaned my whole throttle body with brake cleaner because I had to remove it to access that IAC valve.

Then I replaced the fuel filter (witch was really dirty even with 112,000 miles on it so I recommed to change it) but to change the fuel filter make sure you donít have any pressure in the system, so while the engine is running, unplug the fuel pump fuse and wait till the engine completely dies then your safe to remove the fuel filter and not get soaked by gasoline. (Also make sure you have your battery unplugged to no not cause a spark and go booooomm!)

So after I put back together everything it was time for a testÖand just like I predicted it didnít fix the problem. But! It made it run a little bit better but was still doing that problem so I think cleaning everything was worth it, after spending 4-5 hours fixing that engine i was so mad but it didnít stop me the next day.

I drove it around town and drove it about 25-30 miles then my check engine light came on! So I took it to Auto Zone to get it scanned and my air intake temperature sensor circuit was a cause of the check engine light. I popped up the hood and sure enough the wires going in the sensor was broken. So I got a new one but I didnít go with the original part I went with a different part thatís not made for the Hardbody but for some American car but they work the exact same way, hereís the part number if you need it SU3336 or Duralast air charge temperature sensor and the nice thing with this sensor is that it doesnít have wires to the sensor itself everything is molded in plastic in one. Now It also popped a code for my EGR valve but thatís from the missfire of the rough idling. So I went back home and the part is not gonna fit because itís made for a different truck. So you can figure out something better to fix it on but I went with hot glueing it to the hole to see if that would even work. For the connection I just stripped the wires and clamps them on, again itís to see if that was even gonna work.

It was again time for a new test andÖsuccess! It took a bit to start the engine but it completely fixed the problem, no more rough idle! And because I cleaned so much things I suspect that I may have gain better MPGs but not sure. So after a week of trying to fix the problem and after sooo much reading on the web, that sensor did it! Itís been a week now and that sensor is still doing itís job and no rough idle symptoms. So if you run to this problem check your air intake temperature sensor because the wires are known to brake off!

Thatís it! Please please let me know if you have any questions Iíll try to answer them quick!
tommyswiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 06:15 AM   #2
cadillacdude1975
The Gear Jammer

Vehicle: 87 VG33 Pathfinder SE 4x4 & 87 D21 SE
Thanked 1,364 Times in 1,236 Posts

Those later trucks had a TSB about the main engine wire harness. The main symptom was the engine would be fine one minute then it would start bucking, jerking, hiccupping and just run like shit. There is a thread in here about that with the fix as well.
cadillacdude1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 06:20 AM   #3
cadillacdude1975
The Gear Jammer

http://www.infamousnissan.com/forum/...ad.php?t=25332
Thanked by:
89'HBV6 (11-26-2021)
Old 11-26-2021, 12:44 PM   #4
LugNut1990

Vehicle: 1990 Nissan Hardbody

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillacdude1975 View Post
Those later trucks had a TSB about the main engine wire harness.

What years? Hopefully after 1990!
Intentionally near-stock
Mods: Second OEM horn, stereo/speakers/sub,
mud and snow tires, HD trailer hitch (cat 3+),
liquid bed liner, G1W dashcam
Definitely not for sale!
LugNut1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 03:45 PM   #5
dvdswan
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 96 HB

here's another...

http://www.infamousnissan.com/forum/...ad.php?t=25108
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2618002
dvdswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 12:39 AM   #6
cadillacdude1975
The Gear Jammer

The truck in the thread I posted was a 94 with the 4 cylinder.