Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Infamous Nissan > Introductions

View Poll Results: Which one do I pick?
crusty mechanically sound 93 1 33.33%
clean worn out 97 2 66.67%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-07-2018, 07:25 AM   #1
highmiles

Vehicle: 1993 Nissan D21
Unhappy Help me pick which to keep. Desperate for advice from experienced owners

Hello all,
New hardbody owner here.
I picked up two Nissan D21 Hardbody pickups, one from an auction and a vehicle to use as a donor.

I discovered the one I have been repairing, a 97 base model, has many more miles than reported, due to a speedometer/odometer failure at around 180000 miles. I have discovered it likely has upwards to 250000 miles, maybe even 300000 plus. While the truck is one of the cleanest bodies I've ever seen (came from cali), it has some motor issues, general lack of power, and has recurring electrical gremlins, particularly when it rains. It also has a fairly worn front steering rack and suspension, making driving it interesting at high speeds.
I know little of it's prior owner or the maintenance, other than it having 150000 miles in 2004 somewhere in California. given it only has 180000 in the broken odometer in 2018, it's very unlikely it only drove 30,000 miles given how it feels and the condition of the interior.

The donor vehicle, a 93 D21 pickup, is in rough condition, was not running, and has 243000 miles, hence it being a donor. The frame has some rust, but nothing to cause any structural issues or real worry. The body panels look like crap, but aren't rusted out from what I can tell. However, I knew the original owner, and he took extremely good care of all the mechanical stuff. The interior is worn pretty well, but mostly from sun damage and being dirty, nothing that cant be fixed. I got the 93 running and found that it runs and drives worlds better than the 97 I have been repairing, to the point where I got a car fax, and discovered how many miles were likely on the 97.

I need a reliable pickup truck to get around in. Am I better off to keep the 97 with a super clean body with a tired motor and steering, or to keep the crusty beat up 93 truck in excellent mechanical condition? Looking for some thoughts
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 123456.jpg (60.2 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by highmiles; 07-07-2018 at 07:30 AM.
highmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 08:23 PM   #2
cadillacdude1975
The Gear Jammer

Vehicle: 87 D21 SE KC V6 2wd 5sp & 86.5 V6 SE auto

well, you wont have to worry about using the beater for hard work. and the exterior parts are the same, unless one is a kingcab and the other one isnt (beds are different). and the interiors are different too. one is a round dash and the other is square. other than that, you have an entire good body for the beater.

if you have done any poking around here, you may have seen that many members have a couple of these trucks. a good supply of rust free parts is diminishing. i say keep them both if you can. you will be using parts off the good body sooner or later.

and welcome to IN.
Old 07-08-2018, 02:18 AM   #3
jp2code
Software Developer

Vehicle: 94 LB 2x4 Manual VG33e
Thanked 1,080 Times in 952 Posts

Sounds good to me. Drive the one that goes.
1994 VG30E to VG33E with H256 Cams

jp2code is offline   Reply With Quote