Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Hardbody Forum (D21)

Old 10-01-2020, 10:20 PM   #11
jp2code
Software Developer

Vehicle: 94 LB 2x4 Manual VG33e
Thanked 1,391 Times in 1,226 Posts

> As mentioned it throws a vehicle speed sensor code and the sensor has been replaced.

The VSS code means that the ECU cannot detect the signal from the speed sensor. That usually means the sensor has gone out, but it could also mean that the signal from the sensor is not reaching the ECU.

Look at the cable connecting to the VSS and see if there are any breaks or frays in the wires (particularly around where the wires attach to the connector) or if it has gotten too close to the exhaust manifold and melted.
1994 VG30E to VG33E with H256 Cams

jp2code is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 02:57 AM   #12
mujoo

Vehicle: Nissan D21 1996

I had the same issue with the odometer and trip meter in my 96 (no codes were thrown). I ended up pulling an instrument cluster out of a 95 Pathfinder and replacing the speedo/ odometer/ trip meter unit. It's been working great. I could not detect any ground gears on the old unit; it must have lost continuity internal within the unit.
mujoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 02:51 PM   #13
ewrjontan

Vehicle: '94 Hardbody

Oh didn’t know pathfinder units were a direct replacement.

I was able to snag a new one under warranty and alas, same issue. Sometimes works sometimes doesn’t. Is the signal to the ECU sent directly from the harness? Or does it o through the Speedo then to the ECU? The wiring diagram for this one is a little confusing to me. Sometimes I get a Check engine light sometimes I don’t. I’m assuming the ECU needs a lack of signal for a certain time before the light itself is triggered.
ewrjontan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 05:07 PM   #14
jp2code
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewrjontan View Post
Oh didnít know pathfinder units were a direct replacement.

I was able to snag a new one under warranty and alas, same issue. Sometimes works sometimes doesnít. Is the signal to the ECU sent directly from the harness? Or does it o through the Speedo then to the ECU? The wiring diagram for this one is a little confusing to me. Sometimes I get a Check engine light sometimes I donít. Iím assuming the ECU needs a lack of signal for a certain time before the light itself is triggered.
What kind of warranty do you have that covers a 1994 Nissan truck? Do you mean a replacement speed sensor? I don't know of anyone who makes a new instrument cluster.

Old 10-14-2020, 06:36 PM   #15
swampyankee

Vehicle: 1994 D21 XE

TRY this. On a 94 the odometer and trip meter runs directly off the SPEEDO.
there is no additional wiring for the odometer or trip meter.

On the driver's side just to the right of the Fuse box is a relay (blue that controls the speedo etc. try testing or swapping out the relay. see video for exact location.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkNx7uNta9Y

If that doesn't work, I have a 94 cluster with Good speedo, odmeter, and trip meter you can cannibalize. Just swap the components. The tach is wonky, but i think it's just loose contacts. If you make a donation to either a local animal shelter or for fire relief in the West coast, I'll ship it to you.
swampyankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
jp2code (10-14-2020)
Old 10-15-2020, 03:29 AM   #16
ewrjontan

I had a warranty on the vehicle speed sensor that I bought. They sent me a knew one but Iím having similar issues.

Iíll check the relay. Not sure if it will actually be the problem though. My speedometer has never really had any issues other than ocassionally revving up to 30 mph on start up on super cold days. Itís just the meters that arenít working but itís worth a shot.

So the signal from the ECU is received AFTER the vss signal reaches the speedometer or is it in dependent?

I grabbed a cluster off of a 94 Ka truck and Iím hoping to swap it to see if that works. Will there be any issues since itís from a KA going into a VG? Or is there only an issue going from 2wd and 4wd like Iím your video?
Old 10-15-2020, 04:24 AM   #17
swampyankee

So, its not the vss. You replaced it twice. It has to be after the vss and before the cluster. check the relay.
It could be the ecu, but go simple. Think metaphorically; ok the lights on the second floor of the house don't come on, but the lights on the first floor do.
It's not the main service breaker; it is something else between the main service and the second floor. Isolate the problem. Everything else that the Ecu controls is working as needed; is that true? Don't worry we will figure this out. There is some really good real world advice here.

I personally do not know if the Ka and the Vg clusters are interchangable.
I would think not, but I have no evidence to assume so. Engine speed, Rpm, Engine displacement, and torque does lead me to believe that they are not ( but a VSS may make all that moot).
A six cylinder needs less rpm to generate the same torque as a four cylinder.
I know absolutely nothing about 4x4's.

I believe the VSS signal is received after the speedo; the reason being is that the ECU is a monitoring device. The speedo is a data collection device. Basically, the Ecu monitors the Speedo and any other engine components. The ECU produces a check engine light and trouble codes, when(after) one of those components fail.

Hope that helps.
Thanked by:
PoBoi850 (10-15-2020)
Old 10-15-2020, 10:56 AM   #18
jp2code
Software Developer

I'm not sure if the VSS goes to the ECU before it goes to the meters or not. This is the wiring diagram below, if that helps.

The 4-cylinder and 6-cylinder instrument clusters are the same. There is a potentiometer on the back that needs to be turned to match the engine you have if you pull one from a vehicle with a different engine.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg EL-39.jpg (92.0 KB, 24 views)

Thanked by:
PoBoi850 (10-15-2020), swampyankee (10-15-2020)
Old 10-15-2020, 11:31 AM   #19
ewrjontan

Hmmm, so it looks to me that the ECU receives its signal after the instrument cluster if I am reading the schematic correctly.

Is the adjustment potentiometer visible with no modifications or is it similar to the video posted above, where a hole needs to be drilled to reach the potentiometer?
Old 10-15-2020, 12:19 PM   #20
swampyankee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp2code View Post
I'm not sure if the VSS goes to the ECU before it goes to the meters or not. This is the wiring diagram below, if that helps.

The 4-cylinder and 6-cylinder instrument clusters are the same. There is a potentiometer on the back that needs to be turned to match the engine you have if you pull one from a vehicle with a different engine.

Didn't know about the Potentiometer. What an odd name.