Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Hardbody Forum (D21)

Old 09-29-2020, 12:18 PM   #1
ewrjontan

Vehicle: '94 Hardbody
Default Odometer and trip meter stopped moving (intermittent)

So up until a few weeks ago, my odometer and trip meter would occassionally stop working for a few miles then start back again. Usually occurred (or noticed) after resetting the trip meter and noticing it stayed at 000 after a few miles. Usually hit the reset button a few times and it would start moving. My speedometer works fine for the most part.

Recently, I noticed the occasional check-engine line so I ran the code; vehicle speed sensor.

I replaced it with a new one from eBay. Started the truck up, with not check-engine lights. Took several miles before the odometer and trip meter started moving. Seemed fine for several days up until the other day. I noticed the odometer and trip meters stopped working again. Eventually the check engine light came back on but it was only for a few miles. The light went away and the meters started running again for a few miles. Took the truck out tonight and the meters stopped working again.

Any ideas? Should I just swap out clusters? Any differences between 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder trucks? I have a 94 VG30E. Would snagging a cluster from an OBD-II car make a difference as well?
ewrjontan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 09:54 PM   #2
XoXSciFiGuy

Vehicle: 1997 D21 King Cab XE 2WD, 1998 Pathfinder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewrjontan View Post
So up until a few weeks ago, my odometer and trip meter would occassionally stop working for a few miles then start back again. Usually occurred (or noticed) after resetting the trip meter and noticing it stayed at 000 after a few miles. Usually hit the reset button a few times and it would start moving. My speedometer works fine for the most part.

Recently, I noticed the occasional check-engine line so I ran the code; vehicle speed sensor.

I replaced it with a new one from eBay. Started the truck up, with not check-engine lights. Took several miles before the odometer and trip meter started moving. Seemed fine for several days up until the other day. I noticed the odometer and trip meters stopped working again. Eventually the check engine light came back on but it was only for a few miles. The light went away and the meters started running again for a few miles. Took the truck out tonight and the meters stopped working again.

Any ideas? Should I just swap out clusters? Any differences between 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder trucks? I have a 94 VG30E. Would snagging a cluster from an OBD-II car make a difference as well?
I notice you didn't say anything about the speedometer not working. Hmm. If the speedo works, but the odometer doesn't...it COULD be the little white gears inside the odometer box are sticking. It is possible to open the box (carefully) and spray some kind of lube in there to get them moving properly again.

The tricky part is selecting the LUBE. If you just shoot some WD40 in there, that stuff attracts dust and can make things worse. I would (completely amateur guess) try electrical cleaning spray. Don't mess with the little gears. If they come out or come loose it's hard to fix. However, they DO sell rebuild kits for odometers, believe it or not. But not for hardbodies. I took a good look for one once. It's been a long time since I messed with an odometer on a hardbody, but if I recall....the speedo is driven electrically by the speed sensor, but the odometer is mechanically driven, as a sort of sideline to the whole assembly. Checking wiring diagrams, there is nothing electrical going to the odometer.

1997 King Cab XE, 5-sp, canopy, AC/PS, KA24E, 125,000 miles. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message. Chilton's for amateurs.

Last edited by XoXSciFiGuy; 09-29-2020 at 10:09 PM.
XoXSciFiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 11:55 PM   #3
ewrjontan

Yeah, diagrams got me squat. Speedo works fine. Last winter, I did notice sometimes on start it would sit at 20-30 mph and would eventually drop after a few miles.

Other than that, speedo works fine whenever the odo/trip meters stop working.
Old 09-30-2020, 01:21 AM   #4
jp2code
Software Developer

Vehicle: 94 LB 2x4 Manual VG33e
Thanked 1,391 Times in 1,226 Posts

Instrument Cluster Repair

http://928intl.com/tips/Instrument%2...epair%20II.htm
1994 VG30E to VG33E with H256 Cams

jp2code is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 07:31 AM   #5
ewrjontan

Link is broken.

So if my check engine light is still coming on occasionally, does that sound like it's not my instrument cluster and perhaps the cheap vehicle speed sensor I bought is crappy? It seems to come on for a few miles, go away and then the odometer/trip meter works. Then it stops working and the check engine light eventually comes back on. Rinse and repeat.
Old 09-30-2020, 08:05 PM   #6
nunya

Vehicle: nissan d21 93 kingcab red

If speedometer IS working, but odometer/ tripometer intermittant, would the CEL even be connected to the issue? Perhaps two separate problems. Do the codes reveal any answers?
Old 09-30-2020, 08:22 PM   #7
91nissan94

Vehicle: 91nissan hb

I have had this problem for 2 clusters and 2 harnesses. I haven't really worried about it because everything but the counter works. It works sometimes and then doesn't others. I was thinking the speed sensor also.
91nissan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 11:52 PM   #8
jp2code
Software Developer

Vehicle: 94 LB 2x4 Manual VG33e
Thanked 1,391 Times in 1,226 Posts

Speed sensor will throw a code when it goes bad.

Just FYI
1994 VG30E to VG33E with H256 Cams

jp2code is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 03:34 AM   #9
Midnight Tech
Technical Admin

Location: Back in SC again...in the back of a REAL parts store...
Vehicle: 1986.5 D21 Hardbody 2WD

Had to refresh my memory - speed sensor drives speedo directly, then there is an output from it back to the ECM. Don't think it actually reports mileage back - only vehicle speed.

Out of Round Tuits....
Midnight Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 10:12 PM   #10
ewrjontan

As mentioned it throws a vehicle speed sensor code and the sensor has been replaced.

Seems to work, stops working, eventually the CEL comes on and then goes out after a few miles. Then the meters work for a bit before stopping again. Rinse and repeat. Im assuming my sensor is bad.

Anyone have any luck with certain brands before I spend the money on a different one from rockauto?