Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Hardbody Forum (D21)

Old 03-10-2020, 07:12 AM   #11
XoXSciFiGuy

Vehicle: 1997 D21 King Cab XE 2WD, 1998 Pathfinder.

YES.

The bulb thing is pretty universal in these trucks, especially between 1990-1997.

The only tricky thing is pulling the instrument panel and matching those up. I only did the five larger bulbs (194) in Cool White. But there are like up to 10 or so of the really tiny bulbs, (74) back there. And I haven't done those yet. Best bet is to match the warning lights by ordering RED led in 74 bulbs, and green ones for the two turn signal indicators. If the plastic is clear and the bulbs themselves are those 'painted' or plastic-covered bulbs...or if the plastic behind them is red (warning lights) or green, (turn signals) you should match the color they are supposed to be anyway. I guess I should have looked when I had the panel out, but it doesn't matter. White LED works for the big ones, and red and green for the smaller ones. On the big ones, you don't HAVE to use white LED, though. People do blue, purple, whatever on those.

Like I said though...don't put your panel back on until you find out ALL the bulbs are facing the right way. Anything not twist-in is POLARIZED for LED. The push in LED bulbs only go in one way. Won't hurt them if you put them in the wrong way. They just won't work. You then pull the LED and just turn it around, stick it back in. Check all of them to make sure they work before re-installing the panel.

That's tricky, too...lol some of them don't come on unless the key is on. I may skip the smaller ones for the warning lights, except for the turn signals, which are easier to check.

1997 King Cab XE, 5-sp, canopy, AC/PS, KA24E, 125,000 miles. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message. Chilton's for amateurs.
XoXSciFiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 11:23 AM   #12
djs

Vehicle: 1995 2wd hardbody

On my larger 194 bulbs, they had a blue rubber like sleeve on them. Weird I thought because there absolutely was no bluish tint to the light they gave. I removed them from the bulbs, but decided not to put them on the new ones. I also replaced the #74 bulbs. Only the 2 bulbs that provide backlight for the digital clock and trip ometer had the sleeves on them. They were green. Again, I did not reuse the covers. I feel it is VERY bright right now. Almost too bright. From the way it sounds, if I went with the led bulbs, they would illuminate ME at night! To each his own........I like mine the way it is right now.....still getting used to how bright they are. It was cool using a flashlight from behind the cluster seeing how many idiot lights there are on the cluster that don't even apply to my truck! What is APT? That is one of them.
Old 03-11-2020, 12:00 PM   #13
XoXSciFiGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by djs View Post
On my larger 194 bulbs, they had a blue rubber like sleeve on them. Weird I thought because there absolutely was no bluish tint to the light they gave. I removed them from the bulbs, but decided not to put them on the new ones. I also replaced the #74 bulbs. Only the 2 bulbs that provide backlight for the digital clock and trip ometer had the sleeves on them. They were green. Again, I did not reuse the covers. I feel it is VERY bright right now. Almost too bright. From the way it sounds, if I went with the led bulbs, they would illuminate ME at night! To each his own........I like mine the way it is right now.....still getting used to how bright they are. It was cool using a flashlight from behind the cluster seeing how many idiot lights there are on the cluster that don't even apply to my truck! What is APT? That is one of them.
Match the color of the LED replacement on the instrument panel to the color of the light coming through the panel. Otherwise, they WILL be too bright and anything red (like warnings) will come out pink, and anything green, (turn signals) will be washed out green. Anything blue, like your high beam indicator...blue LED. That's my best advice. I only replaced the larger 194 bulbs back there. You can also use your dimmer switch to adjust the results.

1997 King Cab XE, 5-sp, canopy, AC/PS, KA24E, 125,000 miles. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message. Chilton's for amateurs.
Old 03-12-2020, 02:22 AM   #14
djs

Vehicle: 1995 2wd hardbody

Nah. No led's for me. I think it is pretty dang good now. Only cost me 12.00.
Old 05-04-2020, 10:25 PM   #15
Vendance

Vehicle: 1994 D21 Red Single Cab Short Bed

I'm running LED's in mine and they're bright as all hell. Granted I've got LED flood lights up front too but you know how it is. always something better to do with it
Vendance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 03:44 AM   #16
XoXSciFiGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendance View Post
I'm running LED's in mine and they're bright as all hell. Granted I've got LED flood lights up front too but you know how it is. always something better to do with it
Substitute the words 'Play With' for 'DO With'.

Could be my imagination, but I thought I noticed the ignition system just running smoother all around after I cut the wattage draw from the alternator. By comparing what the stock bulbs draw in watts, to what the LED's I installed draw, I estimated a savings of 250 watts or so at idle. Can't hurt, anyway. 250 watts is enough to run a typical refrigerator. In a nutshell, I thought maybe more juice could be going to the ignition system and less for the lights.

The way I calculated all this was by listing all the old bulbs, and then looking up the wattage draw for all of them. Then I did the same thing with the LED replacements. Was about 250 watts less total draw with the LEDS.

Last edited by XoXSciFiGuy; 05-16-2020 at 06:34 AM.
Old 05-16-2020, 06:31 AM   #17
XoXSciFiGuy

Oops. Already answered that question. Duplicate post.

Old 08-08-2020, 06:10 AM   #18
XoXSciFiGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunn-93 SE V6 View Post
will these bulb sizes work for my 93 SE king cab
A definite YES. Not many changes on these things (if any) 1991-97.

Old 08-08-2020, 06:14 AM   #19
XoXSciFiGuy

Quote:
Well, if the white light is too bright for you, then you can go one of the less-bright white versions at Superbrightled dot com. They have three stages of white, with Cool White being the brightest.

Old 09-21-2020, 03:31 PM   #20
Arv

Vehicle: 94 HB 4x4

Quote:
I also replaced the #74 bulbs. Only the 2 bulbs that provide backlight for the digital clock and trip ometer had the sleeves on them. They were green. Again, I did not reuse the covers. I feel it is VERY bright right now. Almost too bright.

@XoXSciFiGuy and @djs

I have my low fuel warning light out for over a decade now :-( and now my door ajar it out too. So I think its time to pull my cluster out. I have a few questions

1. How many 194/big bulbs are there in the cluster (5) and behind the temperature sliders to the right?

2. Are the the clock and ODO 194 or 74? XoXSciFiGuy if you only replaced the 194s, so do you have mis-matched colors between the general illumination vs the clock and ODO? Unless these 2 are 194s too so you ended up replacing them.

3. Do I have to get exact fitting or same size leds, or would bigger leds (a lot are bigger than the stock 194s) fit ALL the interior 194 slots in the vehicle including the exterior ones like the license and front markers.

edit: low fuel is amber right? If I were to purchase red 74 leds as you suggested, how would red look behind the amber? I don't mind it glowing red as long as it isnt a funky color.

edit2: found out that the climate control panel takes a 74.

Thanks!

Last edited by Arv; 09-21-2020 at 10:38 PM.
Arv is offline   Reply With Quote